Norco Kid

Did Towerhobbies just axe coupon codes? 😳

2 hours ago, moffman said:

Being over here in the uk we obviously don’t have tower hobbies but I use to read about how good their service was with good discounts etc with a bit of envy:( but lately I’ve been reading/ listening to the disgruntled once loyal customers about shoddy service! Has it been taken over by a corporate (generally greedy) company because it’s quite quickly changed from what I’m seeing and that generally happens when faceless companies take over purely for quick profit? 

There was a period around 2010-16 where I was having a Tower order every few weeks to the UK, I used them more than my usual UK shops, for Traxxas combined with their discounts coupons and excellent customer service they were incredible!

• Like 1

I don't know about airplane and boat folks, but I have had ZERO problem buying what I wanted elsewhere the last couple of months.   

Does the silly coin they sent hold any value?   I mean, what was the purpose of them sending useless things including their store decals?  I tossed that in the trash.   Why would I want to advertise a store I don't even like any more.

• Like 3

While slightly off topic, my LHS, who has been one of the largest Horizon Hobby vendors in the area, is now having difficulties getting both parts and RCs from HH as HH is now prioritizing their Amazon customers.

This seems a bit odd since Amazon competes with Tower Hobbies, and I've always assumed that most Amazon shoppers would sooner buy a cheap WLToys Lagendary thing.

I think between Horizon Hobbys disorganization and Traxxas's bullying/minimal profit margin, we might start to see more "Chineseum" RCs make in-roads.

And to be honest, I'd rather have a Traxxas, something "Chineseium", or even a "toy" over a Horizon Hobby product. They need to get their act together.

12 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

While slightly off topic, my LHS, who has been one of the largest Horizon Hobby vendors in the area, is now having difficulties getting both parts and RCs from HH as HH is now prioritizing their Amazon customers.

This seems a bit odd since Amazon competes with Tower Hobbies, and I've always assumed that most Amazon shoppers would sooner buy a cheap WLToys Lagendary thing.

I think between Horizon Hobbys disorganization and Traxxas's bullying/minimal profit margin, we might start to see more "Chineseum" RCs make in-roads.

And to be honest, I'd rather have a Traxxas, something "Chineseium", or even a "toy" over a Horizon Hobby product. They need to get their act together.

Traxxas get a lot of justified stick, and are morally bankrupt. However, Horizon are just as bad, if not worse, yet get no stick!

Wow, this is all so crazy. 

I used to get orders (as a member) the next day or the day after due to them being close. 

Then they skunked me on $10~20 in loyalty points.  And I quit their membership.  Looks like it was a good time to get out. 

I always hated how it seemed they didn't carry much in spare parts.  Not missing tower. 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2024 at 1:15 PM, Willy iine said:

Anyone get a silly broach or coin or whatever the thing is from TowerHobbies in the mail?   What is this?  Instead of sending us useless things saying they appreciate our business, how about a simple $50 coupon code via email we can use towards anything over $200?   :wacko:

I received mine yesterday as well.  Catalog they printed went into recycle bin. Not sure what to do with the coin. 

Being a retailer, the purpose of these activities is for activation of new sales. This one falls flat on its face as it offers nothing. 

Bizarre marketing strategy and a waste of $

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Raman36 said:

I received mine yesterday as well.  Catalog they printed went into recycle bin. Not sure what to do with the coin. 

Being a retailer, the purpose of these activities is for activation of new sales. This one falls flat on its face as it offers nothing. 

You got like an actual printed tower catalog?  They still do those?

42 minutes ago, DTSCB said:

You got like an actual printed tower catalog?  They still do those?

Yes it was a colour printed one. Not as thick and comprehensive as the old days but still similar idea

9 hours ago, Raman36 said:

Maybe it’s a good time to collect low number coins. Mine is #9000 and something.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, tamiya_1971 said:

Maybe it’s a good time to collect low number coins. Mine is #9000 and something.

Mine's in the 3k range, but I doubt it means anything. It's very nice and satisfying in the hand when taken out of the plastic shell, but I'm still sour about the whole change to the system, and my orders being in limbo.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, GToddC5 said:

Mine's in the 3k range, but I doubt it means anything. It's very nice and satisfying in the hand when taken out of the plastic shell, but I'm still sour about the whole change to the system, and my orders being in limbo.

I didn’t know I could take it out of the plastic. This might change everything. 

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, tamiya_1971 said:

I didn’t know I could take it out of the plastic. This might change everything. 

Yeah, there's a fingernail catch. It's really nice. I'm thinking they know that people like us like to fidget and will be spinning this thing in our fingers while surfing for hobby goodies, and this coin is enabling them to live rent free in our heads while subliminally reminding us that we have 17 things in our wish list and should probably order something!

I hate them, lol.

• Haha 1

I’m going to put it on eBay for $400. Maybe one of those clowns that over pays for RC stuff will buy it 

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Raman36 said:

I’m going to put it on eBay for $400. Maybe one of those clowns that over pays for RC stuff will buy it 

I am actually curious about that

On 1/7/2024 at 6:22 AM, moffman said:

Being over here in the uk we obviously don’t have tower hobbies but I use to read about how good their service was with good discounts etc with a bit of envy:( but lately I’ve been reading/ listening to the disgruntled once loyal customers about shoddy service! Has it been taken over by a corporate (generally greedy) company because it’s quite quickly changed from what I’m seeing and that generally happens when faceless companies take over purely for quick profit? 

Yes, Tower Hobbies went bankrupt in 2018, and almost all of its assets were purchased by Horizon Hobbies.  Since then both Tower Hobbies and Horizon Hobbies have gone to ****.

well, personally, i feel that Horizon Hobbies has been **** for a long time, but they basically dragged Tower Hobbies down to their level.    I have ALWAYS hated the way horizon hobbies basically pushes/hypes the heck out of something (this year it is the losi promoto mx dirt bike) and in three years, there will be nothing stocked to indicate that vehicle ever existed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 1/7/2024 at 9:20 AM, Willy iine said:

I don't know about airplane and boat folks, but I have had ZERO problem buying what I wanted elsewhere the last couple of months.   

Does the silly coin they sent hold any value?   I mean, what was the purpose of them sending useless things including their store decals?  I tossed that in the trash.   Why would I want to advertise a store I don't even like any more.

It has been YEARS since i bought anything from either the Tower Hobbies or Horizon Hobbies websites.  70% of the stuff i buy comes from places like Ebay or FB Marketplace, and others from more obscure places like Engel Model submarines or R&R model engineering.  the few things i do buy online from actual US hobby only websites come from amain hobbies.   I still live in a place that has 4 real live actual hobby shops that i frequent every weekend (rotate so i hit each hobby shop about once a month) and get anything i CAN buy there from them.   I absolutely detest the Horizon hobbies brands (E-flite, Blade, Spektrum, Dynamite, Proboat, Traxxas)  they are really just repackaged stuff identical to what you find at Hobbyking.

39 minutes ago, tim.senecal said:

It has been YEARS since i bought anything from either the Tower Hobbies or Horizon Hobbies websites.  70% of the stuff i buy comes from places like Ebay or FB Marketplace, and others from more obscure places like Engel Model submarines or R&R model engineering.  the few things i do buy online from actual US hobby only websites come from amain hobbies.   I still live in a place that has 4 real live actual hobby shops that i frequent every weekend (rotate so i hit each hobby shop about once a month) and get anything i CAN buy there from them.   I absolutely detest the Horizon hobbies brands (E-flite, Blade, Spektrum, Dynamite, Proboat, Traxxas)  they are really just repackaged stuff identical to what you find at Hobbyking.

Jealous! Only closest hobbyshop for me is hobby town….

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, tim.senecal said:

Traxxas are nothing to do with Horizon are they?

26 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Correct.

3 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

Interesting..  I found out today that Horizon Hobby is no longer the sole US distributor for Traxxas.  apparently Traxxas did one thing right :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sogogi said:

Jealous! Only closest hobbyshop for me is hobby town….

The closest hobby shop to me (less than a mile) is a hobby town (i guess that means there are five hobby shops where i live).  I stopped going there about a year ago due to horrible service.  the other four are further away, but i am happy to go to them.  two of them are not hobby towns, but two are, and i only go to them because they have been around for decades, and only recently had bought into the hobby town ecosystem.  with Amain now owning hobby town, i am curious to see if that changes anything.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2024 at 7:37 AM, tim.senecal said:

Interesting..  I found out today that Horizon Hobby is no longer the sole US distributor for Traxxas.  apparently Traxxas did one thing right :)

Traxxas had a law suit with Tower / Hobbico over Arma. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Raman36 said:

Traxxas had a law suit with Tower / Hobbico over Arma. 

interesting timeline.

2018 was both when the Tower assets were picked up by HH, and when Traxxas dropped HH.  might not be a coincidence.   but then, Traxxas has sued everyone...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, tim.senecal said:

interesting timeline.

2018 was both when the Tower assets were picked up by HH, and when Traxxas dropped HH.  might not be a coincidence.   but then, Traxxas has sued everyone...

I'm waiting for them to sue Chrysler over their Dodge Ram "TRX".

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, tim.senecal said:

interesting timeline.

🤫 They might sue us for libel lol.