Chemins blanc

Shocks settings.

Hi, just built my second Tamiya buggy: the first, a Grasshopper, was built in 1985/6 for my son.  The Hornet is my second: this time for me!
I’ve set the front and rear suspensions on hard as per build instructions.  I will however be running it primarily on short grass with pockets of dirt and minor jumps. Should I alter the suspension to soft per build instructions? Your advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you @Willy iine but I'm afraid that in this matter I am only "professional" about my consistency in using and loving the Hornet like a child would :lol:

In other words, there are no particular mods I did to its suspension system. Small stuff maybe, but certainly nothing like Ampro or that sort of things.

The front shocks are as basic as it gets, and I personally didn't find any difference in changing settings from soft to hard. They are friction dampers, and I'm afraid it's mostly placebo effect... the only thing, I added an O ring on the top part in hope to make it more gentle on the plastic suspension tower.

Things get rougher in the rears: after trying a few different things in time, I now run the original battered up shocks with no oil in them. This is paired with a zip-tie that runs around the gearbox axle holders keeping it tight, and hence limiting the infamous kick-up action to about 30% compared the original configuration. 

I don't know how, but like this the Hornet handles in a way that's quite acceptable, and way less nervous and hoppy than it was when out of the box. Although I suspect that a lot of this is just due to the extensive driving of the car in time, which allowed me to get to know its behaviour and at the same time allowed the buggy to smoothen out, or just literally wear off some of its kinks.

Sorry I can't be more of help, but I never tried the aftermarket shocks for the Hornet, having always read only terrible reviews about them.

If you have any specific question, I'll be happy to help.

• Like 2

I have a Grasshopper with Hornet rear suspension, Grasshopper 2 front and CVA shocks all round. The biggest improvement I had on mine was swapping to Kyosho Scorpion rear wheels and tyres in combination with the fishing string mod. I have later found out that you can fit the said tyres on the original wheels. You get rid of a lot of hopping with these tyres. It becomes a better handling and more capable car, without compromizing it's caracter. 

Check out Shenlonco on YT.

My Hornet runs very nicely with the suspension set to "soft", but with soft red O-rings up front instead of the stock black ones, and a brace to stop the up/down motion of the front of the gearbox (same idea as @Ferruz's zip tie and @Andreas W's fishing line).

I also found that the handling improves once the rear tyre spikes have worn down a bit, allowing the rear end to slide a little rather than traction rolling when you push the car's limits. 

• Like 2

Many thanks to all members who replied to my query. I will soften the front suspension as per TurnipJR’s advice and leave the rear shocks for the moment.

Actually, I’m thinking of building a Kyosho Scorpion as a second car and might try the back wheels/tyres on the Hornet pro temp. If good I buy a second set.

Please educate me: what are “zip tie and fishing line” modifications?

Yeah, find ways to soften the suspension where possible. When this car came out it carried a lot more weight than they do now with a modern set up. Out went the MSC, four AA batteries (went out when BEC became a thing), Nicad or Nimh batteries went too for replacement by LiPo batteries. That's quite a bit gone.
Nimh batts were heavy, but had good punch and lasted a lot longer than Nicads. I still use Nimh from time to time.

I ran my Hornet for years with a Grasshopper body and and Red Kyosho shocks, from a Scorpion I think. it went ok.