Saito2

Quick BBX questions

The BBX is slowly looking like an inevitable purchase I'll be making (still pondering the TD4 and whether it will become a "dead-end" buggy like the DB02). I've got a couple questions that I know have probably been answered somewhere in more detailed threads. Sorry for rehash them.

What is a cheap/affordable, reasonably durable/usable low profile servo that will work in the BBX?

How hard is it to pull the gearbox out after its assembled should I decide to add a gear diff at a later date?

How good is the stock ball diff, I.e. does is stay adjusted or loosen periodically? Is it low maintenance as far as ball diffs go? 

Is the slipper clutch necessary (with gear of ball diff in use) or is the drivetrain robust enough? I will likely run nothing hotter than a Sport Tuned brushed motor.

Any must have additions or is the kit pretty good out of the box?

Thanks for your patience.

• Like 1

I can't comment from driving but I can add a little from building. 

I have used SPT4412 servos (I think from AliExpress) in various cars and got them from recommendations on here as good cheap low profile servos. I've had one bad one and about 5 good. Although I got all fancy on my BBX and fitted a Savox.

It's not a quick maintenance chassis overall, mainly because you have to remove or move bits of cage to access things, but that's really all. It's only going to make a few minites' difference to life. Slow compared to a race chassis obviously but not that different in a time sense to my other Tamiyas. 

Feedback I've read on the ball diff suggests it's tough enough for that much power. Note, it comes with the aluminium nut that the TDs do not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saito2 said:

What is a cheap/affordable, reasonably durable/usable low profile servo that will work in the BBX?

Is the slipper clutch necessary (with gear of ball diff in use) or is the drivetrain robust enough? I will likely run nothing hotter than a Sport Tuned brushed motor.

I don't recall the name, but Amazon sells a cheap low profile metal gear servo with red casing. I have one that I pulled out of a car that had been raced on asphalt, it's still good.

I can't imagine the stock drivetrain wearing out on "Tuned" motors. I suggest a Torque Tuned for a buggy though, Sport Tuneds run hot and need lower gearing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuggyDad said:

SPT4412

I am switching my Amazon specials over to SPT gradually. They seem good value.

1 hour ago, Kowalski86 said:

Amazon sells a cheap low profile metal gear servo with red casing

JX LP 9kg? I have a few of them and find that they are a bit power hungry, so make sure the BEC is at least 3A.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

JX LP 9kg? I have a few of them and find that they are a bit power hungry, so make sure the BEC is at least 3A.

That's the one, PDI 4409MG. I figured that if it can survive asphalt racing, it should hold up for the occasional spin in a brushed buggy. It is a little power hungry, and it has a 120 angle so it's important to set your end points.

I will highly suggest that you go with a HW1060 or HW1080 for better brakes. Skip the Tamiya ESCs, my TBL-02s were always junk.

• Like 1

seems these cheaper brand low profile servos are slightly taller than say a Futaba. 

I installed this one from Amazon, injora, it is slightly taller than my Futaba low profile, so I had to space it out a little, like 1,5mm.. but it works.

INJORA RC Digital Servo 14kg Low Profile Servo Metal Digital Core High Torque Servo Motor for 1/10 1/12 RC Vehicles On-Road Touring Drift Car Helicopter Model https://a.co/d/5c8SnoR

I’ve also used the JX LP servo on TA03, not a fan of that servo, doesn’t centre well. If you try to turn the servo saver, it’s so tight that the spring actuates. Odd for a high speed steering servo.

The ball diff, is solid, it’s from the TA06/XV01. I had a spare gear diff so that’s the route I went.

Gears are again of the XV variety. I’m not a fan of slipper clutches but the one for this seems reasonable at $25 I believe

overall it’s superb built, very high quality and enjoyable 

• Like 1

On 11/11/2023 at 4:09 PM, Raman36 said:

I installed this one from Amazon, injora, it is slightly taller than my Futaba low profile, so I had to space it out a little, like 1,5mm.. but it works.

Ok, looking at this servo. What do you mean by "space it out a little"? Does it fit properly in the BBX within the bodywork? 

On 11/11/2023 at 1:25 PM, BuggyDad said:

I have used SPT4412 servos

I guess this could be option 2.

Separate question. IIRC Tamiya finally went with normal 48 pitch pinions for the BBX (?). Is the kit included pinion steel as well or the normal cheese aluminum pinion Tamiya typically uses?

Also, what size hex drivers are needed to assemble the kit? I'm still in JIS land with all my tools.

Thanks.

9 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

Also, what size hex drivers are needed to assemble the kit? I'm still in JIS land with all my tools.

Mainly 2mm. It's pretty much only grub screws (1.5mm) that use anything else IIRC. IMO a high quality 2mm hex driver with a nice handle is a wise purchase. I use Wera "Hex Plus" because their edges go deeper into the hex points, which IMO pretty much eliminates the chance of rounding out a screw. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

Ok, looking at this servo. What do you mean by "space it out a little"? Does it fit properly in the BBX within the bodywork?

My brother used the low profile Injora servo from Amazon as well. It fit with the hkit supplied spacers. It was the maximum size servo you could install. Works fine for him.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

Separate question. IIRC Tamiya finally went with normal 48 pitch pinions for the BBX (?). Is the kit included pinion steel as well or the normal cheese aluminum pinion Tamiya typically uses?

Refreshingly it is steel.

• Like 1