Exvee-Ohwan

Do I need to check Tamiya kits for missing parts?

Apologies if this is a bit of a pedestrian question.  I've just got my first two Tamiya kits (a TT-02 Type S and an XV-01).  Excited as I am to start on them, I'm waiting on an order from Plaza Japan and the TT-02 is being put away for my son's birthday.

Can I leave it to trust the Tamiya generally don't miss anything from the box, or should I be opening the up and checking off parts before putting them away?

Neither box arrived sealed, but I gather this is the norm for Tamiya kits.

Thanks all

Welcome. Those are some nice kits you have purchased.

I don't think I have ever had a missing part in a Tamiya kit. My data set is approximately 50 kits.

Whether or not they are shrink wrap sealed may depend on the local distributor I believe.

It wouldn't hurt to take inventory though. The last pages of the instruction manual clearly illustrate the contents of each kit for reference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers Otis, that is a reassuringly comprehensive statistic!

Good tip on the manual inventory, thanks.  I may have a browse tonight over a drink or two.

I was short a screw with my M05 I think? Tamiyas usually pretty good about making sure that their kits are complete.

I haven't built that many but I haven't had anything missing either, so I would just deal with the problem if (/in the unlikely event) it arises in the build. To count every part would take forever. 

Make sure you have everything that kits don't include, obvs. That's electronics essentially, but also the means to solder if you need it. Other than Tamiya ones I think most motors and ESCs will need some soldering and a battery connector, and if your kits don't come with a Tamoya ESC, which I doubt those do, then you need to make a choice on battery connector, and the Tamiya is probably the least good vs Deans or XT60. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

I haven't built that many but I haven't had anything missing either, so I would just deal with the problem if (/in the unlikely event) it arises in the build. To count every part would take forever. 

Make sure you have everything that kits don't include, obvs. That's electronics essentially, but also the means to solder if you need it. Other than Tamiya ones I think most motors and ESCs will need some soldering and a battery connector, and if your kits don't come with a Tamoya ESC, which I doubt those do, then you need to make a choice on battery connector, and the Tamiya is probably the least good vs Deans or XT60. 

Electronics wise I have a few options I've yet to decide on, but they'll both be getting Deans or XT60 as that's what all my other stuff uses.  I've got a 3300KV brushless setup that could go in one, but I also have a couple of Tamiya Superstock TZs in my Plaza order so I can try out a higher end brushed setup.  Plus of course there are the stock motors that come in each kit.  I'll pick up a couple of HW1060s if I go the brushed route.

• Like 1

@Exvee-Ohwan

Boxes sold in the USA are usually sealed, but the kits I bought internationally were not so it is kind of the norm depending on where you bought the kits from.

Chances are, as everyone says, you are fine.   The only kit that was missing a part was my rere Egress I built a year or so ago.  I just bought the mission part (it was one of those damper spacers for shock towers) off eBay as I didn't feel like making a big deal with Tamiya. 

Have fun with the cars.   :D 

My txt 2 was missing a star gear which tamiyausa sent asap. My top force evo was missing something with the shocks which tamiyausa sent something similar the avante used. They sent me the entire avante front shock parts which was great since i have an avante black. Not bad i guess since i built 10 tamiya kits since 2015, but as a kid they were never missing parts.

I only ever had missing parts with static kits, where they broke off the parts tree. RC joint are far thicker and less likely to break off. 

I believe as part of their QC, bags, boxes, etc are weigh to ensure everything are there.

Shrink wrapped or not is meaningless, unless an entire bag (screw bag for example) was lost or stolen from the box as Tamiya wrapped their bits in layers of plastic bags usually. Not good for the environment but good for us to make sure nothing is lost.

My personal experience is that all parts are complete… but Ive had an esc that was doa once and Tamiya USA sent a replacement. 

Not sure how many Tamiyas I've bought, but I'm pretty sure its been quite a few, and so far I've only had one missing part. Small plastic piece that broke off the tree before it got packaged. Was on a F201 I bought long after they've been discontinued so didn't bother reaching out to Tamiya. 

I always have missing parts, but they are usually right in front of me or maybe in the fridge or wherever I was 5 minutes ago but the kits are always complete until I open the box and start losing bits. Lol

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

I always have missing parts, but they are usually right in front of me or maybe in the fridge or wherever I was 5 minutes ago but the kits are always complete until I open the box and start losing bits. Lol

Pretty much this in my experience. I was almost certain I had a missing part on my rere Hotshot, was ready to contact Tamiya, and then found it in the correct bag where it had tucked itself into another part. I've never had anything actually missing across 4 kits in the last few years, and 1 back in the day.

• Like 1