Saito2

Who packs boxes well?

This is going to sound ultra whiney, probably ranty and utterly ridiculous to some members who care little about such things. As many here are, I'm done with Tower Hobbies. I finally caved and bought a BBX from one of the Ebay suppliers I used frequently over the years for parts thanks to their decent prices and quick delivery (they're close, which helps). When it came (in only two days!) I was reminded about the one thing I always had luck in dealing with Tower... packaging. I don't know how because all Tower did was use a slightly oversize box with some air pillows, but in decades of buying from them, the boxes inside were always perfect.

Getting this box from the new supplier was not looking good from the start. It was small and the one side had been mangled/kicked-in thanks to UPS (strange as that's usually a Fed-Ex thing). The outer box had been "cut down" so it fit tightly over the BBX box, no doubt to save on the outrageous cost of shipping nowadays. So, as one might have guessed, the BBX's box lid was pretty bent up. No punctures but I haven't taken off the shrink wrap yet to look at the contents. I'm a big box art collector and this set me off from the get-go. It's put me in a "down" mood and I haven't even opened it. I'm trying to tell myself, its not a re-release so the box art isn't AS important. Trying to tell myself there's bigger things to worry about than a stupid box that half our members here throw in the garbage anyway yet still its irks me like a splinter in my head. I'm crazy. I know it. So now I don't know whether to try to send it back (and eat the cost of return shipping), buy a better empty box off a forum member or just live with it or just consider it a bad omen, sell it off and forget getting a BBX. Stupid and pointless as it sounds, a crushed box has made me not want to carry on with it.

So skipping all that twisted craziness in my head, who in the US packs their boxes any better? I'm looking at Amain and Hub Hobby currently. I don't, no, can't have my forthcoming Super Sabre arrive with a mangled box. Thanks for reading the ramblings of a mad man.

• Sad 3

I think when you pay someone $200+, you deserve good service.

I've had good luck with Amain hobbies as far as packaging goes, it takes longer but my items always arrived packaged well enough. EBay can be a real toss up.

You could always cut out the main picture, flatten it, then hang it up or use it as a mat to display underneath your finished BBX. It'll preserve the box art and free up some space.

• Like 1

I have no idea, I'm in Aus. I sympathise though. I just had a bit of a whine in the BBX thread, about the overall design in terms of working on it post build.
You know, I knew that one day I'd get old, I didn't think I'd get grumpy though.

Btw: keep the BBX. Just get another box down the track.

I’ve ordered a couple of kits from Amain and they came in oversized boxes with padding. They are my first stop when I’m hobby shopping. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

This is going to sound ultra whiney, probably ranty and utterly ridiculous to some members who care little about such things. As many here are, I'm done with Tower Hobbies. I finally caved and bought a BBX from one of the Ebay suppliers I used frequently over the years for parts thanks to their decent prices and quick delivery (they're close, which helps). When it came (in only two days!) I was reminded about the one thing I always had luck in dealing with Tower... packaging. I don't know how because all Tower did was use a slightly oversize box with some air pillows, but in decades of buying from them, the boxes inside were always perfect.

Getting this box from the new supplier was not looking good from the start. It was small and the one side had been mangled/kicked-in thanks to UPS (strange as that's usually a Fed-Ex thing). The outer box had been "cut down" so it fit tightly over the BBX box, no doubt to save on the outrageous cost of shipping nowadays. So, as one might have guessed, the BBX's box lid was pretty bent up. No punctures but I haven't taken off the shrink wrap yet to look at the contents. I'm a big box art collector and this set me off from the get-go. It's put me in a "down" mood and I haven't even opened it. I'm trying to tell myself, its not a re-release so the box art isn't AS important. Trying to tell myself there's bigger things to worry about than a stupid box that half our members here throw in the garbage anyway yet still its irks me like a splinter in my head. I'm crazy. I know it. So now I don't know whether to try to send it back (and eat the cost of return shipping), buy a better empty box off a forum member or just live with it or just consider it a bad omen, sell it off and forget getting a BBX. Stupid and pointless as it sounds, a crushed box has made me not want to carry on with it.

So skipping all that twisted craziness in my head, who in the US packs their boxes any better? I'm looking at Amain and Hub Hobby currently. I don't, no, can't have my forthcoming Super Sabre arrive with a mangled box. Thanks for reading the ramblings of a mad man.

AMain packs well and seem to understand that some people are collectors and actually care about the box whether they build what's inside or not. I bought two kits from them and everything was perfect.

I bought another kit from Horizon since they had it in stock about a week before AMain did (yes I panicked) and they jammed the box inside a bigger box, slightly too small, which buckled it. It really annoys me. I don't intend on displaying the box or anything but just like I love keeping the manuals, I love keeping the boxes. That it got damaged before it even got to me is frustrating.

Back in the 90's before Amazon invented the concept of abusive buyers (buy-return it without any valid reason-get a full refund) I ordered an RC plane over the phone. The box arrived damaged and the wing was damaged inside 😡 So I had to make a repair before it was even built. I still have that plane with me today. 25 years later I still 'see' the wing repair!

• Like 1

From my experience, tamiyaUSA packs the best… oversized box with tons of packing peanuts.

Tamiya branded packing tape puts a smile on my face.

when I ordered a lexan body from amain, one side of lexan body box was mangled because it was too tightly fit in side of another box. Other than that, no issues so far..

• Like 5

Hub Hobby packs well.  It drives me nuts when things are packed like a first grader did it (Amazon).

On top of that, tip blanks for carry out on food drives me crazy, cashiers that hand you a device to scan your card then have a pre-filled tip amount irks me. Plus the attitudes and non-smiling faces aren’t helping their cause with me.

18 minutes ago, Sogogi said:

I sure like seeing a brown box sealed with Tamiya tape. I really want a roll of it.

• Like 1

I think I'm going to try to return it. I thought about buying an empty box off a forum member here (if someone would even have one to part with), but the cost to properly ship even an empty box "damage-free" will probably be expensive. Weight doesn't seem to matter as much as size unfortunately. Dumb as it is, I just can't "un-see" it. Like @Pylon80 said of his plane, it'll bug me years down the line. I knew buying a new kit was a bad idea, lol. Well, now I'm stuck with a hex driver and low profile servo coming from Amazon shortly. :unsure:

• Like 3

Amain does a good job. They're usually my go-to if RPP Hobby doesn't have what I'm looking for (they're mostly crawler/scaler oriented). I've never mail-ordered from Hub, but I've sure bought a lot of kits from them - I used to live about a mile from one of their stores. Knowing the sort of folks who work there, I'd be surprised if they were anything less than meticulous about packing.

If I was collecting, and a pristine box is up near the top of the priority, I'd probably order one in at a local modelshop (granted, they're not on every street corner), and pay the little extra for the guarantee. 

I've been fairly lucky tbh, even when I've bought on ebay.com (I'm in Scotland), and it's been shipped thousands of miles, they've been okay.

My last was off Amazon, when they where doing the Neo Fighter for £60 and Racing Fighter for £70....

2021-12-27_08-46-58

4 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

If I was collecting, and a pristine box is up near the top of the priority, I'd probably order one in at a local modelshop (granted, they're not on every street corner), and pay the little extra for the guarantee. 

I've been fairly lucky tbh, even when I've bought on ebay.com (I'm in Scotland), and it's been shipped thousands of miles, they've been okay.

My last was off Amazon, when they where doing the Neo Fighter for £60 and Racing Fighter for £70....

2021-12-27_08-46-58

I like how they placed it on one side, to maximize the chances of the left side getting damaged 🤣 Packing these is probably one of the most grueling and lowest pay jobs, so you wouldn't expect much care being taken.

I ordered a body from Buyee and someone had made a custom, closely conforming box, then wrapped that box in 1" think bubble wrap, then placed that inside a giant box. Someone did step on and perforate the outer box (thanks) but the faithful smaller box inside did it's job and that insanely rare body made it to me in pristine condition... Such good packaging... only in Japan! I'm sure @Sogogi has enjoyed similar experiences of amazing packing from Buyee (and thanks my friend for the tip on using them 😃).

• Like 1

In recent months here is my experience:  Kyosho fantom from Moto hobby jp from Japan/ebay arrived perfectly.  Kyosho optima from Tamico, arrived perfectly to US from Germany.  Kyosho Tomahawk from amain had slight damage to a corner of the kit box.

• Like 1

Well, I got some great news from the Ebay vendor. They'll take it back free of charge after I sent pics of the mangled box. Very happy about that. Now to find my next source for kits. Wish I had a LHS.

• Like 1

I have to agree with TamiyaUSA being the best, unfortunately lots of waste but everything will be in perfect condition. Don’t think their regular prices would be worth it when talking about a kit though. I ordered a decal sheet for my f60 body recently and came in a huge box filled with those annoying peanuts. I had thought I accidentally ordered another kit by mistake when I saw the package.

Also just received a package from amain 10min ago. Nothing special just a slightly larger regular cardboard box with air packs. It did travel over 2300miles to get to me though and the box is in perfect shape. 

0AC35ADC-906E-4909-B365-77F9E493E1EA.jpeg.03199f2627ae84e218b4359f09bb792d.jpeg

3 hours ago, ImALlama said:

Also just received a package from amain 10min ago. Nothing special just a slightly larger regular cardboard box with air packs. It did travel over 2300miles to get to me though and the box is in perfect shape. 

Better but not extremely so. Good fortune was on that box's side perhaps but not so much mine, lol :

20231119_114033

That's the good side. On initial inspection it doesn't look too bad and some extra room in the box might have saved it. It was cut down to be ultra form fitting around the BBX box however. The BBX box was crushed down along the bottom, smashed in the corner and the top was wavy with at least 3 hard creases running across its face. It traveled less than 200 miles but I'm guessing somebody got mad at it somewhere along the way. A least it was mashed up enough that the seller took it back and paid for return shipping, no questions asked. I checked all the hobby shops around me, the closest being about 45 minutes away, but no BBXs in stock. With the Christmas rush coming and shipping companies probably pushing their employees harder than ever (lots of angry, overworked drivers I imagine), I don't know if it would be wise to re-order from anywhere aside from Tamiya USA until mid-late January at this point. I'm not (can't) paying the extra $110 Tamiya USA charges over normal distributors just to get a perfect box though. Perhaps I should just start getting Kyoshos (if the ones I want ever get in stock again), where the box isn't as important to me, lol.

2 hours ago, Saito2 said:

perhaps but not so much mine, lol :

Yeah definitely looks like someone wasn't having the best day, or simply didn't care.

2 hours ago, Saito2 said:

companies probably pushing their employees harder than ever

I think people is the main factor deciding how your package will arrive, between packing and switching from small trucks, to large ones, or planes, then back to small trucks, your package sees several people along the way and it just takes one to be mad at something and take it out on your box, even if its packed in best way possible an angry employee might see it as a challenge. Your box looks like all the people along the way didn't like it lol.

• Haha 1

On 11/19/2023 at 9:47 AM, Sogogi said:

From my experience, tamiyaUSA packs the best… oversized box with tons of packing peanuts.

For parts, TamiyaUSA tends to go overboard.  I think tamiyausa's smallest box is  roughly 4"x5"x6" (100x125x150mm), because I have had little bits in flat packaging come in that box.  As a grumpy old man I just had not got around to complaining online about the excessive packaging for small stuff from them yet. :D I was seriously considering bringing this up as it is a fair bit of waste.  I could have got those items in a padded envelope.  It isn't like the parts were really protected either; they were flat on the bottom with all the packaging on top.

And yes the Tamiya tape puts a smile on my face as well. :)

spacer.png

7 minutes ago, SlideWRX said:

For parts, TamiyaUSA tends to go overboard.  I think tamiyausa's smallest box is  roughly 4"x5"x6" (100x125x150mm), because I have had little bits in flat packaging come in that box.  As a grumpy old man I just had not got around to complaining online about the excessive packaging for small stuff from them yet. :D I was seriously considering bringing this up as it is a fair bit of waste.  I could have got those items in a padded envelope.  It isn't like the parts were really protected either; they were flat on the bottom with all the packaging on top.

And yes the Tamiya tape puts a smile on my face as well. :)

spacer.png

Wow that is quite a waste… My tamiya orders always included a lexan body or two, so i was happy about the packaging… but for that small part.. excessive.