Creflo

No workbench, small condo with wife

So I live in a one bedroom condo with my wife.  I have 3 kyosho re re's to build, but no workbench.  I have a dining table in our den (it's a large den), but every time I set up there I have to pull everything out of my closet and then put it back.  I'm looking for a piece of furniture that my wife will accept into the den that I can use as a workbench but doesn't look too bad.  Maybe something like a wall shelf unit with a pull down door over a work area, or one of those vintage desks with a rolling cover, or a fold out desk?  Anyone have ideas?

When corona started I bought a small desk for my lounge from HomeDepot to work from home.  I think Amazon had one as well..  I searched under rustic small desk or something.  Mine was pretty cheap at like <$200, but it looks really nice and very well made.   It's by Sauder.

I only use a company laptop (MS Surface) and iPhone so in the past I didn't even have a dedicated desk to do any work at home.  I traveled a lot too.

That said, if you don't need the table out all the time, I suggest getting a foldable bridge table and tuck it away after use.  

• Like 2

As @Willy iine said, a foldable table sounds like the way to go, at least for now. Functional, compact and likely inexpensive compared to other solutions.

• Like 2

Something like this. You can have your tools set up but the main work surface folds away.

Y2AJbcO.jpg

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Sogogi said:

build things on the floor

Same here. The plus about doing so is things don't have far to fall and bounce.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sogogi said:

I use my computer desk or build things on the floor…

Yep, me too!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Same here. The plus about doing so is things don't have far to fall and bounce.

Eclips!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sogogi said:

build things on the floor

I tried to make a mental picture but my back started hurting when I did so 😅

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sogogi said:

I use my computer desk or build things on the floor…

I think while young you can wing it, but I would not be able to do that for too long.. plus I need the magnifying LED lamp to see..  It would also suck if someone accidentally kicked your work on the floor at night due to dark + tight quarters..  :wacko:   I know I would because I am just a clumsy klutz..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

I tried to make a mental picture but my back started hurting when I did so 😅

I am Asian so I can sit cross legged on the floor for hours. Being doing it for the past 4 1/2 decades.

Also, it is said that it is actually better for the back.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/29/health/floor-sitting-benefits-wellness-partner/index.html

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

I am Asian so I can sit cross legged on the floor for hours. Being doing it for the past 4 1/2 decades.

Also, it is said that it is actually better for the back.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/29/health/floor-sitting-benefits-wellness-partner/index.html

I am unable to sit cross legged... flexibility isn't exactly my strong suit 😅

Back when I lived in Japan I would dread being invited to one of these restaurant with no chair when everybody casually sits on the floor! Not compatible with me 🤣

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Sogogi said:

I use my computer desk or build things on the floor

My back aches just thinking about it!

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Willy iine said:

It appears I am no longer Asian..  :wacko:  ..just old.. 

Traditionally back in the days Tamiya kits was built sitting on a pillow with steel chop sticks in Japan, a Sensei built them in Lotus position with their mind only sitting on a spike mat.

As mentioned by others, get a folding card table.   Then make a tray (wood, plywood) that # 1 fits on the table even if it's bigger than the table and #2, fits under the bed.   This way you set up the table then pull the tray out from under the bed with the projects and tools already on it.   I'd suggest putting sides on three of the sides of the tray so stuff doesn't fall off when handling it.   

They also make sturdy risers to raise your bed so you can get more height storage underneath.  The risers are pretty cheap and can be found on line or in any college town.   

• Like 3

How essential is the wife? They do take up a lot of room and money to think of it... worth considering.

• Haha 10

20 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

I am unable to sit cross legged... flexibility isn't exactly my strong suit 😅

Back when I lived in Japan I would dread being invited to one of these restaurant with no chair when everybody casually sits on the floor! Not compatible with me 🤣

As you know I am not Asian but I can sit cross legged for days. It's how I sit while at the work computer. I have build more models on the floor than on the table but that's changing. For me it's not the floor or the seating, it's my eyes. My eyes aren't good enough to see small parts all the way down there....need them as close to my eyes as possible so tables have become much more important!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rinskie said:

My eyes aren't good enough to see small parts all the way down there....need them as close to my eyes as possible so tables have become much more important!

Sit on floor, work on coffee table (or something similar). That is how I WFH or make models. So I sit for 8 hours on the floor WFHing and then more model making. Oh, breaks for meals are also...sat on the floor. 😉

• Like 2

I am also asian and can sit on the floor decent amount of time, but americanized life style changed that for a bit.

Though for me, main reason i work on the floor most of the time is not having enough desk space to put stuff while working on a car. 

Use the halves of the box as a build tray. Take the body, Tire parts put aside. Take the top upside down. This is for sub assemblies, Stuff built. The bottom is a parts bin to work out of. Build on a towel. Hit the pot store for some silicone trays. Easy to stack up and move.

1 hour ago, Sogogi said:

I am also asian and can sit on the floor decent amount of time, but americanized life style changed that for a bit.

You know, my British manager threatened to withdraw my WFH/hybrid work privileges if I do not have an workspace "approved" by the handbook and the sit on floor way is not in the book. It does not matter that I had done it without problems for my entire life and studies had shown it can be better for one's health, it is just not in the handbook. So I had to make up a work station to show him how I can work "safely". 🤷