Super ally

What tamiya buggy impressed you most.

2 hours ago, markbt73 said:

Honestly, I have to go with the original Grasshopper/Hornet. It may not handle "well," but it's still an excellent test of drivng skill. If you can keep a stock Hornet on the track and shiny-side- up, you know what you're doing.

I hate to say it, but I've had better luck getting Hornets/Grasshoppers to track straight and turn consistently than any TT-chassis car that I've ever owned.

• Like 1

For me, it would be my modified Thunder Shot. Being a generation older than the Manta Ray that joined my fleet before it, I was expecting it to be not as good, and was hoping that my mods would bring it on a par with the Manta. However I believe it surpasses it!

2022-03-01_11-38-57

• Like 9

good topic! Obviously ignoring the vast majority of tamiya rc cars having a few gremlins in their designs which we all love! I think for me it has to be the top force (both versions) I liked how easy and simple it was to build and box art on both is easy to replicate and the box art is the best livery IMO on both:)  including a metal motor mount and steel pinion gear it’s a real good performer even today with the modern rc buggies it can hold its own and I think it down to it’s brilliant centre of gravity! I almost give the top spot to the tamiya Durga but I found it’s build not the easiest compared to the top force!

• Like 1

Ooooh, tough to pick just one...

The front-wheel-drive chassis (M-0X, FF-0X) impress the heck out of me with how easy they are to drive well.  Feel like a hero every time I put one on the tarmac.

Avante/Egress simply for being marvels of engineering, especially for their time.

Top Force Evo for being the best 4WD Tamiya buggy I've driven, by far.

TRF201 for being the best Tamiya buggy I've driven, period.

At the era?
Due to the (supposed) superior performance:

Hot Shot II
Avante
Astute/S.Astute
Egress
Dyna Storm

Due to the strange, unusual and surprising (and not necessarily beautiful) design:

Falcon
Super Sabre
Winger
Big Wig
Thunder Shot

Max

• Like 1

Good topic

I was going to immediately default to the TRF211XM... but I actually think the TD2 is a bit of a dark horse and offers a very strong and quite competitive modern package - and its very well priced as well IMO with only the slipper and diff nut or gear diff required to take it to a track and have a good club car. 

DB01 is the best 4WD - cheap and tough, on par with the TRF 4WDs for handling. Not the best on modern high grip carpet tracks - it's nice enough to drive, but really tough to push it really hard like you can with some of the more modern buggies. 

• Like 2

Honourable mentions to the Top Force and DB01 (both great to build and drive well) but for me its the Boomerang. Performs well (enough) on the backyard track and just keeps going, and the onky hopups are bearings.

We have a number of Tamiya buggies and they all have their issues but the Boomerang seems immune

• Like 2