Super ally

What tamiya buggy impressed you most.

I was thinking what tamiya buggy impressed you the most etc the build,running,looks and durability.Mine would be the thunder shot as i think it ticks all of the above.

• Like 1

I'm pretty new to RC and only got my first buggy, DF03 Avante Mk2 for Christmas last year. It's brilliant and a great buggy, but I've since bought and built a DB01 and even with the same motor, it just feels so much better than the DF03.

• Like 1

Heavy Dump Truck.

I wasn't expecting much from it but it's an absolute hoot to drive with the forward rolls!

• Like 1

I was impressed with my Wild Ones handling, less so durability (mainly the PC plastic arms). Front chassis has the same weak spot as a Hornet, while having the Frogs junky diff/rear axles.

My Frogs been decent for as old as it is (and being pre-RC10), it handles mediocre but its been fairly durable, it simply falls apart more than outright breaking.

It has enough metal in it and weird-cream colored plastic so brittle plastics aren't as much of a problem vs other vintage Tamiyas.

It also works well in dirt, gravel, and asphalt (with Brat tires) without rolling over.

20231118_121706.thumb.jpg.d5cb1ee0b33ce5217a9e36f522bc8e26.jpg

20231006_173501.thumb.jpg.af9d2e721ca22c95d5610220569279ce.jpg

• Like 4

For me I'd have to say my XV02 and my TD2. Both have real nice quality plastics, and were thoroughly enjoyable builds. And, they are fun to drive. Third for me would be the BBX, but I've not painted it or run it yet...

• Like 1

Good topic and one that made me consider the buggy that impressed me the most wasn't even a buggy. I guess I'm a truck guy more than a buggy guy. As a kid the answer would be the Bullhead/Clod Buster. My Lunch Box was the only thing I had to compare to at the time. I still remember finally completing the chassis, tossing the wheels and tires on and then perching the unpainted Bullhead body shell on the mounts. I literally sat back in my chair and stared at it on the work bench, marveling at its sheer size. I was not impressed when I later squeezed the throttle trigger for the first time at its very slow speed...until I realized to old power/economy switch the original MSC versions had was switched to "economy". A quick flip to "power" and the amazement began. Its power and unstoppable-ness was beyond anything I'd seen or known at the time.

As and adult in my 20's the answer would be a Blackfoot/Monster Beetle of all things. I know these things cause people woe with the drivetrain, but the Monster Beetle is what hooked me on Tamiya and it didn't disappoint. It's construction had more metal in it than my Lunch Box did owing to its Frog lineage and being only an evolutionary step removed from the SRBs. It handled just about right, far more capable than the Lunchie, but not boring and planted like my RC10T. Just the right amount of old school craziness and capability I guess.

Taking the question more directly, I'd guess it was a tossup between the Vanquish and the Hotshot series. I got the Vanquish first as kid because it was on closeout for $99. It wasn't quite the Avante I dreamed of, but probably performed better in the end. Considering my most advanced vehicle at the time was a Fox, the complexity and performance of the Vanquish was beyond compare for me at the time. 

The Hotshot I got as as a re-re in '07 and I kept in mind what Tamiya was making around the time of the original's release. The Hotshot's stunning looks and intricate molding for the time really drew me in. While it certainly has its teething issues, the buggy was solid and looked beautiful tearing around, even if that was a wide turning circle going around, lol.

This isn't to say I've not been very impressed by other Tamiya products. The SRBs, Bruiser, Avante Egress, TXT-1, XR311, etc. have all impressed me very much but I tried to approach the question going back to initial impressions of a particular chassis type. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grumpy pants said:

It should be an interesting thread to read this one 👍

I can’t add anything of value though 😂

Me neither! I've only ever run my modded Hornet. 

Maybe one day I'll re-furb my two ORVs, my HotShot and build my TD4 :ph34r:

• Like 1

Just now, Badcrumble said:

Me neither! I've only ever run my modded Hornet. 

Maybe one day I'll re-furb my two ORVs, my HotShot and build my TD4 :ph34r:

I’ve run a few Wild Ones and SRB’s but I’ve never built a buggy, so I didn’t feel qualified TBH 😂

4 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

I’ve run a few Wild Ones and SRB’s but I’ve never built a buggy, so I didn’t feel qualified TBH 😂

That's more qualified than me!

Do love my AmPro Hornet though. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, toyolien said:

For me I'd have to say my XV02 and my TD2. Both have real nice quality plastics, and were thoroughly enjoyable builds. And, they are fun to drive. Third for me would be the BBX, but I've not painted it or run it yet...

Snap on the BBX it's still in the box.

4 minutes ago, Elbowloh said:

Snap on the BBX it's still in the box.

Mine's all built and the electrics are in, but I've not had time (or good enough weather) to paint it.

lCuAGEs.jpg

• Like 6

I'm hoping to say the same for the BBX when I get one that wasn't used as a soccer ball first.

Had to give this some thought. As a child, my thunder dragon as it was just a spaceship compared to the toy grade stuff I had up to then. 

On my 2nd run at this from 2017, my TRF201 probably. Again it was first time syndrome. I had never had anything even remotely race grade and I had no idea a buggy could be that good. 

I guess the winner for me would be Ultra G. It was just a bag of vintage bits cobbled together as a bit of a fun project in the hope I could make something Grasshopper 2 shaped drive better than stock. When I finished it I was not only really pleased that it looked like a better Super G, I was thrilled to find it actually drove brilliantly. Way better than I could have hoped. 

Gratuitous Ultra G pic

FB_IMG_1673822400253

• Like 9

38 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

That's more qualified than me!

Do love my AmPro Hornet though. 

Love the Ampro kit, fantastically well design and great tutorials as well.

I just can’t bring myself to pay the shipping 😭

1 hour ago, Saito2 said:

I'm hoping to say the same for the BBX when I get one that wasn't used as a soccer ball first.

Ooh, what happened?

1 hour ago, Elbowloh said:

Ooh, what happened?

Got banged up in shipping and because I'm a fussbudget about box art, I'm sending it back to the seller without even cracking the seal.

11 hours ago, Elbowloh said:

DF03

I'm a big fan of that platform, and probably my choice too (Dark Impact)

Although spares are getting harder, as I think tamiya are concentrating on the TD platform (thing the DF03 was released in 2006!)

They really need the rear diff mod, to make reliable - 

• Like 1

Vintage Top Force Evo.   , left any other Tamiya I had ever driven in its dust……..

• Like 2

Top-Force 2017 - First only with the High capacity damper set (the best set got my hands on so far, an that is a few now). Today with much more Bling :).

Its insanely nice to drive (even though i still suck at driving)

• Like 2

Honestly, I have to go with the original Grasshopper/Hornet. It may not handle "well," but it's still an excellent test of drivng skill. If you can keep a stock Hornet on the track and shiny-side- up, you know what you're doing.

They're cheap to buy, tough as nails, endlessly fun to tinker with, and look amazing.

Honorable menion, though it's not a buggy, to the Clod Buster, for the same reasons (except the "cheap" part).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

Honestly, I have to go with the original Grasshopper/Hornet. It may not handle "well," but it's still an excellent test of drivng skill. If you can keep a stock Hornet on the track and shiny-side- up, you know what you're doing.

They're cheap to buy, tough as nails, endlessly fun to tinker with, and look amazing.

Honorable menion, though it's not a buggy, to the Clod Buster, for the same reasons (except the "cheap" part).

The Hornet and Grasshopper are great buggies for the price.

• Like 1

Grasshopper series. Didn’t have much of an expectation for them, but those are so durable, easy to work on, simple transmission that can handle lots of power, cheap parts, endless modifications (so many different mods around GH series in RC community).

• Like 1