skom25

Soldering Iron power

Hi,

I am looking for Soldering Iron. How powerful it should be?

As far as I know, 30W is not enough. Will 60W be enough or I should go for 100W?

Of course, I will buy different tips. 

I will not solder anything bigger, than usual components used in Tamiya cars with brushed motors.

10 minutes ago, skom25 said:

Hi,

I am looking for Soldering Iron. How powerful it should be?

As far as I know, 30W is not enough. Will 60W be enough or I should go for 100W?

Of course, I will buy different tips. 

I will not solder anything bigger, than usual components used in Tamiya cars with brushed motors.

That's a good question. It depends on what you will be soldering obviously. For 12awg motor wires (that's the biggest you will use on 1/10 cars) I found that you need 40W minimum.

For servo wires you will need something much more gentle and with a smaller tip, around 20W.

I use Weller products here in the US. Get plenty of spare tips and be sure to get some flux; flux is the key.

2 hours ago, skom25 said:

To be honest, my current goal is to replace motor wires and add 4 mm connectors. 

For those, 60W should be plenty.  

I bought one in 2017 for $14.  It burnt out in 2020. Bought another 60W one, it's working fine.  I soldered brushless motor wires, replaced dozens of Tamiya plugs with XT-60 plugs.  I once had a 30w one before, that was horrible.  These 60w ones gave me the illusion of me being good at soldering, even though I've only done maybe 4-5 dozen times in my life. (Professionals probably go through that in an hour)  Even if the current $14 iron burns out, I think I'll just get another cheap 60W iron.  

(I'm recycling some old photos. Since it heats up fast, you can get it done before the wire gets warm at the halfway point. I do hold it up for a few minutes until it gets hot enough to work with.)

z1SAyCf.jpg

kHPpeVZ.jpg

Zfilj5V.jpg

• Like 1

60w is enough and will happily do 8th scale stuff too.

I've had 2, one was a cheapie from Banggood and it never worked very well. I splashed out on a Hakko FX888D and some loctite brand solder (both seemed hugely expensive at the time) but it is night and day difference. I'm not a good or experienced solderer, but can get a passable job relatively easily each time now.

60 - 80w so to not waste time waiting around for it to heat up. The cost difference between them are so insignificant that it hardly matters. If you are just "sticking" wires together or to things, you will not really need an expensive all singing dancing soldering station, a "hot stick" will do that job just fine.

You need temperature, not power, so look for a quality unit. 100 watts is for a wood burning kit not soldering! From experience I would get a soldering "station" (variable temperature) and a vacuum desolderer too but I find braid works well enough and solder suckers are pretty useless. A dirty tip will not solder, that's for sure! For a general-purpose basic iron 45W is lots if it's good. To recap, don't try to save money on a piece of junk.

• Like 2

Just picked up an Amazon Black Friday special, 80w for £10. Resoldered a drowned TEU-104 just fine.

SJ07Ba9.jpeg

3 hours ago, ManyTamiya3 said:

wood burning kit not soldering

Watch out for wood burning kits as their tips are not soldering tips. I got a "soldering" station from Lidi. The tip disinterested after 3 uses and there are no replacements easily available.