svenb

Am I missing out on Facebook?

Sure this question has bee asked before but I've been told on numerous occasions that I "need" to do Facebook for some more obscure Tamiya related content.

Bit sad really but I collect Tamiya batteries motors and transmitters, great as this forum is it's not that much of a popular subject. Also been informed that there's more chance of acquiring the above via FB!

Any thoughts/experience's??

Must add I have zero interest in what people have had for dinner or what beach holiday they are booking 13 months in advance.

• Like 4

I too refuse to do Farcebook, and I don't believe my life is any the poorer for it. 😀

• Like 12

Short answer is probably yes.

But I can’t stand FB anymore, I only joined it to keep in touch with family overseas. Because there is so much rubbish to sift through to find something decent to look at occasionally it was just a huge time waste in the end and I haven’t been on there for years, apart from once recently when I sold a Motorcycle in a closed local group within a week. 

• Like 3

I re-joined FB a couple of years ago in order to get a custom chassis kit for my Dragon.  I’ve been addicted since…

But to answer your question, there is little (almost no) reason to join FB for Tamiya content, at least in my experience.

your not alone i dont have or want facebook either and i even don't have a phone.. I grew up with out this stuff and can still live with out it know 

i still love my tamiya stuff but i have scalled it all down to a zero these days due to the cost i have not brought anything rc related since the top-force evo re-re and can't remember the last time i used one of even touched them apart from dusting them

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I had FB, removed it and do not miss it at all.

It is full of advertisements and people, who think that they are "experts" in all Topics.

Forums are great but lets be honest: most of them are almost dead. In Poland, I have not found even one (!) RC Cars Forum, which seems to be alive.

• Like 4

I have to add that ive been using FB marketplace a lot in an effort to clean out all our old junk.  Craigslist is crap these days…

• Like 4

Nope, you're not missing out at all.

I had a Facebook mostly just for marketplace, removed it when Facebook changed their ToS and you had to put in a disclaimer to keep them from stealing your content.

Most social media is full of swindlers, spam, and far, far too much drama.

Recently I opened up an old recipe book and believe me, reading a book is very refreshing vs being nagged about apps/adblock/subscriptions on every single page.

I say this not as an old man, but as a millennial who used to be more active on social media.

• Like 4

I don't facebook either..  maybe someone can sell me a gold Fantom (why they didn't include CF decks is beyond me, however..)

• Like 1

No FB here either. Question is, how much of this do you want in your life? How much is a healthy hobby and how much is an obsession? I feel that I sometimes spend too much time in here instead of in the driveway running my car. Seems I have more fun when I actually play with the toys I have instead of researching and dreaming about something I don't have but can't live without. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

People like Facebook and Instagram and whatnot because it feeds that short-attention-span "hey, that's cool" desire to be constantly entertained. Bored? Just keep scrolling. The trouble is that when someone does find something genuinely interesting, "Hey," that's cool" becomes "I want one," which then becomes "It took how long to make? You mean I can't just order one off Amazon? Forget it." Scroll.

And I know a lot of artisans and craftspeople who resent it, because social media is the only way to promote what they do these days, but the constant pressure to feed the ever-hungry content monster means they have to waste what could be creative time taking photos or filiming reels or answering a thousand stupid questions in the comments. And doing that across three or four different platforms makes it hard to keep up.

That short-attention-span focus on quantity rather than quality, that constant chase for the next scrap of entertainment, makes any meaningful discussion of craft or process impossible. It cheapens everything we as humans do, reduces hours and days and weeks and months of hard work down to a single photograph, spat out and then gone again in a blur.

My more cynical side says that's exactly the point - we're not supposed to take time to consider things any more. We're supposed to see something cool for sale, be overwhelmed with the desire to own it, buy it, and then seek out the next object of desire. People complain about too many ads on Facebook and Instagram, but don't kid yourself - everything on there is an ad. You are being sold an image you want to portray, a lifestyle you want to achieve, whether it's hiking in the wilderness or exploring the markets of some exotic foreign city or covering yourself in artisinal jewelry or even curating a collection of model cars. You're not supposed to seek out information on something you're legitimately interested in; you're supposed to want what they have.

Sometimes I think we'd all be better off if we just turned the whole thing off and forgot it ever existed.

• Like 8

Not missing a thing. Social media is a cancer. That's not to make "Social Media" into this faceless boogeyman that we can point the finger of blame at. Humans created it, abused it, an manipulated it their our own ends. People can espouse the positive virtues of social media platforms all they want but even certain religions do good while simultaneously committing acts of evil. Its mind rotting garbage and I wish we could turn the whole thing off and forget it ever existed. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, svenb said:

Also been informed that there's more chance of acquiring the above via FB!

The maths says yes, as there's 3+ billion Facebook users, vs 60k on here.

Facebook has changed over recent times, with more 'sponsored ' posts fed off cookies. Look at a new toaster on amazon, and you get toaster offers suddenly on your news feed.

I'm admin on a few FB pages (7 atm...one with @Granddad Stinky ) and is getting more of a job keeping spam and general riff raff out, but keeping the page Private ,and having to answer questions to join, is helping massively. 

If you do venture into the FB world, the public pages are more general, which means some info can be questionable and have debatable 'humour'....

Private pages are better and more specific, and depending on the admin ,more polite and more like this forum.

This is one of the brushed pages - 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php/?id=502173190292303&story_fbid=1664542824055328

• Like 1

4 hours ago, svenb said:

Must add I have zero interest in what people have had for dinner or what beach holiday they are booking 13 months in advance.

That's all dependent on who you know and add as a friend.

Although, if your Aunty Flow is one for posting pictures of her tea, and her beach holiday, then finds you're on Facebook, she'll want to know why she can't find you (you'll set your privacy setting high) etc etc.

Remember a guy in work, with someone saying to him,

-" I sent you a friend's request and you've not added me", and his reply of

- "I work with you, I'm not friends with you", still makes me chuckle..🤣

• Haha 2

Great comments fellas👍🏻

I have to say you've cemented me belief, I'll avoid FB and stick to TC😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markbt73 said:

My more cynical side says that's exactly the point - we're not supposed to take time to consider things any more. We're supposed to see something cool for sale, be overwhelmed with the desire to own it, buy it, and then seek out the next object of desire. 

There's a good handful of the "Don't think just consume" types out there, granted, this has been a marketing tactic ever since the tailfin wars of 1955.

3 hours ago, Rinskie said:

No FB here either. Question is, how much of this do you want in your life? How much is a healthy hobby and how much is an obsession? I feel that I sometimes spend too much time in here instead of in the driveway running my car. Seems I have more fun when I actually play with the toys I have instead of researching and dreaming about something I don't have but can't live without. 

Thanks to Black Friday, that was my  situation for a time and I've been trying to avoid it. Too many "useful" or "fun" things that I could be doing instead of "do I really need a third 2wd off-road truck?".

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, svenb said:

Great comments fellas👍🏻

I have to say you've cemented me belief, I'll avoid FB and stick to TC😉

I disagree, and I dont see how youve come to that conclusion from this thread. I adore forums, especially for RC. Ive moderated, owned, and financially funded RC forums in the past. For all its faults, and yes, I believe its an overall negative, social media/facebook are not only killing forums, but theyre 100% the way forward. You are 100% missing out not being part of it. Forums are dying to social media, and I hate it, but you are 100% missing out by being on a forum over social media 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

I disagree, and I dont see how youve come to that conclusion from this thread. I adore forums, especially for RC. Ive moderated, owned, and financially funded RC forums in the past. For all its faults, and yes, I believe its an overall negative, social media/facebook are not only killing forums, but theyre 100% the way forward. You are 100% missing out not being part of it. Forums are dying to social media, and I hate it, but you are 100% missing out by being on a forum over social media 

That's fine mate and understand it could be great but comments about scams adverts and it's the whole "big brother" thing. Bad enough looking for things on eBay then later whilst on say YouTube adverts for the parts you were looking for appear! 

Maybe should put the phone down and actually use my RC cars😉

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

but you are 100% missing out by being on a forum over social media 

Missing out on what? From what little I've seen on social media (and youtube), most of the posts seem to be generated with the sole intention of getting likes rather than what people are "actually" building/driving or using.

It seems to be posting for posting sake, OR "Look at this kit I've bought, then look at this kit I've bought, then look at this one too, and this one"... Forums have (particularly this one) have always been a real reflection of what people are actually doing with their hobby. Social media all seems to be fake.

Having said all that, I do take your point of missing out by not being on Facebook. My local indoor club have a fantastic website, but never use it. They post all the info on farcebook. And, the last outdoor race I did (about a year ago), the results from each round weren't printed off then clipped to the rostrum, like I've always been used to, they were posted on facebook after each round. I certainly missed out on that, but still won't join facebook.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, svenb said:

That's fine mate and understand it could be great but comments about scams adverts and it's the whole "big brother" thing. Bad enough looking for things on eBay then later whilst on say YouTube adverts for the parts you were looking for appear! 

Maybe should put the phone down and actually use my RC cars😉

Agree. Also, it's near impossible to scroll through the history on facebook to find any useful info about builds, new products etc... 

• Like 2

I broke down and joined Facebook to see what kind of vintage Tamiya content I could access but I used a "burner" phone - old prepaid phone I activated for a month with an empty gmail account.  That way I don't get any suggestions based on my phone contacts list or anyone I've ever emailed.  Nice and anonymous except I get a ton of friend suggestions from India for some reason.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toyolien said:

Missing out on what? From what little I've seen on social media (and youtube), most of the posts seem to be generated with the sole intention of getting likes rather than what people are "actually" building/driving or using.

If you dig around, you may find a few genuine content creators. Unfortunately the various algorithm systems out there often bury their content.

It's really not worth the effort though, as I said above, book's and magazines are easier to navigate. Or just working on or driving your RCs.

• Like 2

I believe the very original intent of the early social media platforms was well intentioned, get people in touch with those they had lost touch with and start conversations with larger communitites. But social media has evolved into a horrific, almost mind controlling to some extent, plague on the internet. Some people still get positive experiences out of social media and thats great, fair play to them but it definitely feels like social media as a whole now has a net negative effect on society.

• Like 3

I'm not a fan of Facebook, but I think it's a bit like a standard Tamiya car.  If you build it as per the instructions and go out to play, you might be disappointed.  Or, at least, find a few frustrating flaws with it.  But if you add a few hop-ups...

The trick to Facebook is using it for you.  Play around with the settings, and only follow people you care about.  Setting your privacy to high so people you don't care about can't find you is valid, and not being "friends" with that kid who always stole your lunch money at school will reduce the amount of junk you get in your feed.  You can choose to remain connected to people that you might want to contact, but not have their posts appear on your feed - I do this a lot, especially with some folks who I have a genuine reason for standing in contact with, but tend to post inflammatory stuff that I really don't want to see or be associated with.  Since doing this, my FB feed is way less toxic and triggering than it once was.

Join and follow the groups you care about.  Adjust the settings on the group so you get all the posts, especially if you're anxious about missing a bargain.  If you find a group is offensive, opinionated, or just doesn't do anything for you, leave it.  Facebook has allowed anyone to feel the self-importance of having their own group, so naturally, everyone has a group.  I forget how many Bristol / South West / Westcountry / Somerset / crawler / scaler / basher / RC enthusiast groups there are.  Seriously, people of Facebook, just join an existing one, don't pretend you can add any value by starting your own!

If you're scrolling FB and you see a post you want to refer to later, Save it.  There's an option for that.  Otherwise it will disappear into the mire and never be found again.

I personally couldn't do most of what I do without Facebook.  Most of the race clubs aren't updating their own website any more (besides putting up the calendar and allowing booking in), all the main updates go direct to Facebook.  All of the Iconic RC stuff is organised over FB, if you aren't on FB you won't be racing at any of their events.  (OK, arguably you can, but you'd need a friend on FB to tell you when entry opens and send you the rule sheets).  It's a really useful source of event info and dates, I wouldn't know about any of it if I wasn't on FB.

I don't use FB in the traditional sense.  I very, very rarely post anything to my wall (or is it a page, now?  I don't know what they call it).  I may ask questions in specific groups but I don't often post just for the sake of it.  Sometimes I'll post a photo of my van all loaded up when I'm about to set off for an event, on that event's discussion page.  It's all part of the banter.

I'm involved in a few group chats with some fantastic people from the vintage RC world, there's never a dull moment and any time of the day or night it can all descend into hilarity.  It's great to be involved.

Facebook, for me, is a really useful news feed of events, items for sale, general news about what's going on in the RC world.

It's a great place to chat with friends and ask quickfire questions.

It's not a place for me to share my builds - that's what Tamiyaclub is for.  Sometimes I'll post a link to my TC build threads on FB if I feel a particular group will get some value from it.

It's not a place to connect with old school "friends" or share photos of my lunch.

It's not a place to gain deep, insightful information, but it can be a good way to get directed to said information via my feed, because of the people I follow.

Facebook is a tool - it's up to you how you use it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mad Ax said:

Facebook is a tool - it's up to you how you use it.

This!!! 👏

Although, 

1 hour ago, Mad Ax said:

Seriously, people of Facebook, just join an existing one, don't pretend you can add any value by starting your own!

If you've a niche interest ,or none tick the right boxes/have the right vibe, I'd say crack on and make your own (saying that, I've never actually set one up...🙄)

The Glasgow club have 3 ! (A 'public' for general stuff, 'private' for club members and/or genuine people we've actually met, and a private 'buy &sell' page). All posts are vetted, and need approval to go live, so can be a bit time consuming.

They're free to set up (but Facebook do want you to pay to 'boost' your profile , ie 'sponsored ' posts, but you don't have to) 

Having moved countries, I do use it to keep upto date with family stuff, (nephews who last time I saw them, where in a pram, and now have recently collected their degree....😬) .

As above, its a tool, and is totally up to you, who you follow, friends with, post and also, block!!

• Like 1