^Smith^

Transmitter / Receiver Recommendations

Hey G'Afternoon, All

I thought that it would be a good idea to treat myself to a new transmitter radio.

I've had a Spektrum DX2E DSMR Radio for some time (using the Spektrum SPMSR215 DSMR 2-Channel Receiver), just a "plain vanilla" 2 channel. It really does what I need but I'd like to pick up another 2-channel is probably fine but perhaps a 3-channel to care for other options.

I don't think I really need a lot of "bells and whistles" but get an easy to use radio that's durable and does the job. Thoughts and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

I have Sanwa MX-6 and really like it. It has quite a lot useful options, clear LCD display and 10 slots for models.

Only downside is cost of receivers. They are expensive.

I used in for one season and cannot say anything wrong about it. Only issue is fact, that I had few Brown Outs. I heard that it can be somehow relatad to Receiver, but I am not expert and cannot say anything about this.

I run a DX5Pro-2021 version.  It has been rock solid.  I highly recommend it.  

I will note that I've had issue with interference while running brushed motors on my Futaba FHSS protocol (I run 7PX-R for on roads).  I was able to repeat it on various cars with brushed motors, swapped to my old FASST receivers (it works with multiple protocol) and no issue.  No issue while running brushless motors with FHSS as well.  Not sure why, I'd think the RF would be super low vs 2.4GHZ..  I thought I was back in the pre-2000's.. :blink:

Really this is "how long is a piece of string" type of question without stating how deep is your pocket. You can get radio sets from £/$30 - £/$300, or more. So how much do you want to spend?

• Like 1

Thanks for weighing in on the topic  £125...about $150-160 or so. I certainly would consider more  for better features or performance 

You'll have the radio a long time so its worth spending a bit more on sometging better. I have a few now from cheap FkySky GT3C to Sanwa M17. The better radios have better features, but there is also a lot that is subjectively better about them which is harder to quantify (compare driving a Suzuki Swift to a BMW 5 Series, bith work but one is just nicer)

If you can stretch to the midrange like Sanwa MT5 or Futaba 4PM you won't regret it. Check out cost of receivers too. There are clone ones available from aliexpress which work well and are a lot cheaper at roughly 1/3 of the price. I tend to use Sanwa rx for race cars and clones for backyard cars.

Pretty much all radios will do what you need, if you can go and have a look at them in a shop that would help to see how they feel in your hand.

I like staying within a "family" of radios, for cross-compatibility of receivers and handsets. I currently use Spektrum gear, with a DX4S serving most of my on-road cars and a DX5 Rugged for my off-road ones. I also have a DX3C for bashers and loaners. All have worked flawlessly so far, the DX3C for over a decade. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

nAIAqVS.jpg

I didn't know FlySky were making products that expensive 😲 You could get a really nice branded piece of equipment for that money instead (DX-5, 3PV etc).

1 hour ago, Pylon80 said:

I didn't know FlySky were making products that expensive 😲 You could get a really nice branded piece of equipment for that money instead (DX-5, 3PV etc).

DX-5 or DX-5C? DX-5 is about £100 more than the Flysky over here. I will say the 3PV and DX-5 are closer to the G7P, neither of them have a color touch screen.

hG4xzhz.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

@Pylon80I think Marc Reinhard and Ryan Maifield are both using the Flysky Noble transmitter (Sponsorship deals), so it must be ok for guys who race at the very top level to be happy to use them. 

• Like 1