GoFast80

Best Paint Strip Method for Old Paint?

Some good YouTube vids, but I have an old plastic Hilux body that needs to be stripped down. The paint is super thick, old, and I know the plastic composition is different in the older poly bodies and don't want to melt it.  Any real life experience anyone would like to share would be great. Thanks!

Screenshot_20230829_123904_eBay.jpg

If you have a way to dispose chemicals lawfully, then I suggest you dunk it in automotive brake fluid.

More than 20 years ago we used oven cleaner (and small brushes) to strip paint off from bodies. Some people sprayed oven cleaner at the body and put the body airtight in a plastic bag for hours or days. Today I use "Dowanol" it's similar to Carson Paintkiller but less expensive.

At some point it comes down to the type of paint used. Enamels (What I used back at that time from Revell in the tiny cans for example) and acrylics can be removed quite easly with those solutions. If your predecessor painted it with automotive laquer decades ago you will have to do some grinding work. Laquer at that ime was nitro based and got into the surface of the plastic. When you try to remove this type of paint with (for example) Dowanol, the body will get destroyed, because the Dowanol loosens the paint in a form of sheets together with the solved layer of plastic. I had that with a Wrangler body. A real nasty surprise at that time.

Cheers

Martin

Thanks very much.  Didn't think about the type of paint.  I'll have to assume it's standard rattle can paint and go from there. I think I'll start with the Easy Off as the DOT Brake fluid is super caustic. I'll check out that Dawonol too. 

Yeah oven cleaner is a good starting point. It stripped this Big Bear bed painted with model paint

46266937004_cf8891c06b_k.jpg

33139495048_1c7ff1c5cd_k.jpg

The yellow didn't really move, but some very light super fine sanding cleaned it right off

Was able to get this result (primed)

47057325252_a55f7a355d_k.jpg

And paint

47057324852_848f18c7ef_k.jpg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

Yeah oven cleaner is a good starting point. It stripped this Big Bear bed painted with model paint

46266937004_cf8891c06b_k.jpg

33139495048_1c7ff1c5cd_k.jpg

The yellow didn't really move, but some very light super fine sanding cleaned it right off

Was able to get this result (primed)

47057325252_a55f7a355d_k.jpg

And paint

47057324852_848f18c7ef_k.jpg

Beautiful truck.  Really nice job on the paint refurb. That's about all I'm looking to get on the body so sounds like the oven cleaner is the way to go first.  What company made that Big Bear, Tamiya?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GoFast80 said:

What company made that Big Bear, Tamiya?

Marui.

• Like 1