Jump to content
Kowalski86

The Best RC for Timmy

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

... and probably several others that I haven't thought of. 😄

 

I'd say the steering linkage up front is a bit better. We managed to bend the metal shafts on the Rising Fighter (same  linkage setup as a Hornet for example) but the DT-01 (Mad Fighter, Mad Bull, etc) is still going strong. Given it is a secondhand car, that and the chassis itself are the only I haven't redone. If I had known what now know, I would have bought the boy a new Mad Bull right off. Here's to the DT-01 (with ball bearings of course), but be careful buying secondhand if you aren't up to tinkering and buying stuff. :)

Otherwise, I don't know if the DT-02 Holiday Buggy would be a good fit? They seem simple and sturdy, but that's theory and not practice. :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, isomer1 said:

What about.... a DT03 built out like a Madbull?

Looks good!! 👍

Can't help thinking, that you'd get motor cooling issues (motor tends to heat up on these anyway, tucked away back there, and overgearing will compound that), but there's always the ,cut away some of the plastic casing, and fit a cooling fin/fan though?

A 16t pinion , kind of , fits but not sure if the gearing would be reduced enough, or how much torque it would take, before damaging teeth (teeth mesh isn't 100%) 

Steering servo saver would need uprating, having to turn those big tyres, but probably on the hopup list anyway (as long as you're running a metal geared servo) 👍

 

5 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

DT-02 Holiday Buggy

As much as I like the dt02, you're just paying for a pretty body. A club near me got a bulk buy, and started racing them as a cheap entry level. The pogo stick shocks are rubbish, so needed changed and with only a 380 motor, you'd be wanting to upgrade that, after the first week, so didnt end up being cheap! 

We've had a dozen kids start at our club 6yr and up (mine included), and within a few weeks they're needed motor upgrades, they learn super quick!! Might be different if you're running in a small back garden etc though?

 

5 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

2wd Traxxas is the "default" answer

Every fibre in my body ,says I can't recommend Traxxas, for what they done to the RC industry....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Looks good!! 👍

Can't help thinking, that you'd get motor cooling issues (motor tends to heat up on these anyway, tucked away back there, and overgearing will compound that), but there's always the ,cut away some of the plastic casing, and fit a cooling fin/fan though?

A 16t pinion , kind of , fits but not sure if the gearing would be reduced enough, or how much torque it would take, before damaging teeth (teeth mesh isn't 100%) 

Steering servo saver would need uprating, having to turn those big tyres, but probably on the hopup list anyway (as long as you're running a metal geared servo) 👍

 

As much as I like the dt02, you're just paying for a pretty body. A club near me got a bulk buy, and started racing them as a cheap entry level. The pogo stick shocks are rubbish, so needed changed and with only a 380 motor, you'd be wanting to upgrade that, after the first week, so didnt end up being cheap! 

We've had a dozen kids start at our club 6yr and up (mine included), and within a few weeks they're needed motor upgrades, they learn super quick!! Might be different if you're running in a small back garden etc though?

 

Every fibre in my body ,says I can't recommend Traxxas, for what they done to the RC industry....

Truck wheels (OK a bit smaller than Madbull) seem to do OK on a DT-03 with the 17T pinion for us on fairly powerful brushless (I know a Torque Tuned would run hotter than a gentler, say 17.5T, brushless but would it run hotter than a 10.5 with same gearing?). The long axle front knuckle is a weak point but probably only once you put more power through it. 

That's mechanically an Acroshot, of course. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frankiebull? Mad DT-03 Bull? Definably fail this requirement.

18 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

3. It can't "need" any extra parts to do its job,

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Every fibre in my body ,says I can't recommend Traxxas, for what they done to the RC industry....

That's completely fair on Traxxas, unfortunately the Slash sort of a "default" suggestion. 

You also have to fiddle with gear mesh which is annoying for a newcomer. Especially when you're at a park and you don't have your tools with you.

That being said, I'd have to caution anyone buying a Tamiya. For every robust kit like the TT-02 you have something that should've been fixed long ago like the MF01X.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People have mentioned the comicals and the GF01. I dont know if you could get all the parts in the target budget but the Konghead kit is going for about £165.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know very little of Wild Willy other from that i was ready to die for one as a 11 years old Boy, currently Tamico want 105 Euro (not incl Vat). Maybe worth mentioning?.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gebbly said:

People have mentioned the comicals and the GF01. I dont know if you could get all the parts in the target budget but the Konghead kit is going for about £165.

$175 for the cheapest model, plus $30 for bearings would really be pushing it.

Throw in battery, servo, and a receiver and we're at about $270.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coming from a different angle - I don't think its the vehicle that's most important, but the environment/structure it will be used in.  I think getting and kid into RC these days requires some sort of usage plan to ensure they stick with it.  There are so many distractions these days that I rarely see kids stick with RC unless they are in a racing environment or other structured type of activity relating to RC.   When we were kids there was nothing going on so driving our RCs for 10 minutes and then charging the battery for another 30 was fine, we had time to spare, haha.

Just my examples, but I've tried to get two of my nephews into RC over the years.  The first got a Rustler and I think he used it 3 times max.  The other started with some short course truck and he actually drove it a good bit as I got an identical one and we raced around the park a bit, still didn't last long though (maybe 2-3 months).   A few years later he wanted a drift car and got a TT02R kit.  Put drift tires on it, got a GTR body for it, and drove it once...reminds me I should take it from him for spare parts.

My point being, I rarely see kids playing with RCs anymore, but there are always lots of kids at the track running the beginner classes and they seem to love it.  My daughter is only 3, but as soon as she's ready (and willing) we'll get here whatever they're running at the track in the beginner class and she'll start racing.  I think that's the only way (along with building/working on them) that you can get a kid to stick with RC these days.  They need some sort of structure/goal to work towards and make it interesting.  Doesn't have to be actual racing, but some sort of structured activity.  Trail running, crawling, whatever. 

 

So my choice would be whatever the local track is running for novice.  Latrax Rally, TT02, Euro Truck, Bandit, Slash, whatever.   Or a Mad Bull, I absolutely adore the Mad Bull :)  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Rage Trek micro truggy is also a great choice for a Timmy who just wants to run something small and quick.

The low slung wide wheelbase makes for great handling and perfect for a little indoor race track. It's also fast and durable. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nick-W said:

He’ll get what he’s given and like it!

Haha, true.  Funny story - I wanted a Blackfoot so bad when it was time for my first RC.  I loved monster trucks and just thought it was so cool.  Dad got me an RC10 instead and I was a bit disappointed.  Thinking back it was the right decision on his part, but I wanted that Blackfoot so bad.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

.So my choice would be whatever the local track is running for novice.  Latrax Rally, TT02, Euro Truck, Bandit, Slash, whatever.   Or a Mad Bull, I absolutely adore the Mad Bull :)  

Having an actual goal is a good idea, unfortunately, to make this more difficult, the closest track to Timmy is a carpet track that only runs "high end" stuff, that's way over budget.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

Haha, true.  Funny story - I wanted a Blackfoot so bad when it was time for my first RC.  I loved monster trucks and just thought it was so cool.  Dad got me an RC10 instead and I was a bit disappointed.  Thinking back it was the right decision on his part, but I wanted that Blackfoot so bad.

I always wanted a Blackfoot too. I got a Grasshopper 2, which was pretty cool.

When I finally got a Blackfoot last year I was quite disappointed in it. It seems my dad made the right decision as well. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nick-W said:

I always wanted a Blackfoot too. I got a Grasshopper 2, which was pretty cool.

When I finally got a Blackfoot last year I was quite disappointed in it. It seems my dad made the right decision as well. 

Oh I love my Blackfoot and run it often.   I agree its not the greatest vehicle out there, but I love running it in stock form. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

Having an actual goal is a good idea, unfortunately, to make this more difficult, the closest track to Timmy is a carpet track that only runs "high end" stuff, that's way over budget.

Hmmm, that's a tough one then.  I'd make him build a kit of some sort, no RTRs for sure.  I want to say something off road since it would be more versatile, but hard to get under that budget with something that's not a really cheap buggy.  Problem with the Tamiya stuff is that while we love them and they do have a certain charm, if the kid has seen any sort of Traxxas car in their life they'll think the low end Tamiya kit is just a junk toy that is incapable of doing anything well.

I'd go with a basic TT02 kit.  Let him build it, paint it and hopefully he forms some type of bond with it.  I was so proud of my first RC because I build it myself.  If I got an RTR as a kid it most likely would not have kept my interest for too long.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 87lc2 said:

Oh I love my Blackfoot and run it often.   I agree it’s not the greatest vehicle out there, but I love running it in stock form. 

Everybody else seems to love it. It just never clicked with me. Whenever I got the chance to take a car out I’d always choose a buggy. It still looks so cool though! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just thinking about it now, but... Isn't a WPL D12 truck the coolest little thing? There's a kit version for 65$. Surely the OP has an educated opinion on it? ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

Problem with the Tamiya stuff is that while we love them and they do have a certain charm, if the kid has seen any sort of Traxxas car in their life they'll think the low end Tamiya kit is just a junk toy that is incapable of doing anything well.

I'd go with a basic TT02 kit.  Let him build it, paint it and hopefully he forms some type of bond with it.  I was so proud of my first RC because I build it myself.  If I got an RTR as a kid it most likely would not have kept my interest for too long.

You make a good point, most kids are going to see what a Traxxas is, and more or less expect something closer to "hobby-grade", something that can jump and that's made from decent plastic.

The TT02 is at least close enough to other RTR touring cars that it's roughly par with them, once it has oil filled shocks. A Tamiya DT02 Titan or a Hornet, vs a Bandit or a Slash? Nah.

2 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

Just thinking about it now, but... Isn't a WPL D12 truck the coolest little thing? There's a kit version for 65$. Surely the OP has an educated opinion on it? ;)

I have no experience with the kit admittedly, I know that the kits are fully upgraded but don't exactly have Tamiya level instructions.

My D12 was given to me used and abused, other than gluing a transmission gear and a part of the chassis, it has held up fine. My only upgrade is a metal driveshaft.

I've jumped mine over a sloped curb at full speed, rolled it, and it's held up. It's definitely "low maintenance", since oil filled shocks, pinions, and all of that aren't a thing. Heck the stock servo/horn is more than good enough.

The key factor is that it's about as slow as a Grasshopper, so it's not fast enough to really damage itself nor eat through tires, but it's still fun enough to drive occasionally.

it also works indoors, but unlike smaller scale stuff it won't get caught on bumps easily. It actually goes over some better than my on-road Tamiyas.

The main catch is that LHS's don't support them, but that's a whole other debate. The fact that most of them only carry parts for a few brands is a bit annoying.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, simalarion said:

I know very little of Wild Willy other from that i was ready to die for one as a 11 years old Boy,

I felt the same way. Willy was out of hobby shops by that point in time and I searched far and wide for one but to no avail. I don't know why but its stand-out looks and proportions from the other cars in the Tamiya lineup drew me in. Other kids teased me mercilessly about liking such a quirky vehicle with a name that begged to be mocked so I eventually kept quiet.

I wonder if the Wild Willy 2 would appeal to young kids today?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever Timmy ends up getting, I would urge his parents not to lose heart if he appears to lose interest in it quickly. The interest may come back again, as it did with my cousin. 

He was given a Hornet at a young age, and got some use out of it, but from what I gather it was mostly his dad and his buddies who enjoyed it when it first arrived in the household.

He grew into it though, and enjoyed running it for a couple of years before growing out of it in his teens, after which it spent a number of years on top of a wardrobe somewhere.

However the interest returned when he was in his 20s, and the car was brought back into service, given a refresh and saw several more years of running before again being retired to the wardrobe when he himself had kids on the way and no time to play.

His own kids are now of an age where they might appreciate RC cars, and the trusty old Hornet has again entered service, to entertain the next generation.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

My daughter is only 3,

Both mine where that age, when I handed them the controls of a Bullhead. Unfortunately for them, I drive sticks, and their small hands meant, they could only turn right....🤦‍♂️🤣

Once I got a wheel controller for them, I turned the end point down to 20%, and if they could go down the garden, around the cone, back up, and stop on that line without crashing, I'd turn it up a bit. Couple of days, and was up at 100% with the 15t firebolts, so switched to a 13.5t in a buggy, and now she's currently running a 10.5t.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2023 at 1:08 AM, JimBear said:

Otherwise, I don't know if the DT-02 Holiday Buggy would be a good fit? They seem simple and sturdy, but that's theory and not practice. :D

After looking into them I cannot reccomend the DT-02, apparently the chassis itself has been discontinued. Kind of an important part to have for an off-roader.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...