KEV THE REV

Blitzer Beetle pinion gear problem

Hi all . I'm rebuilding a Blitzer and on stripping down the gearbox I noticed the counter gear was badly worn by the motor pinion to about halfway across the counter gear teeth with the other half still looking new , the alu. motor pinion was toast . I thought the pinion gear wasn't set right on the motor . On checking through the manual and using the pinion setter supplied on the parts tree it appears that the pinion is at full stretch on the end of the motor shaft and even then doesn't fully sit across the counter gear teeth . I've ordered a different pinion gear which is longer than the stock one to try and gain some reach and more support on the motor shaft . It kind of reminds me of the Lunchbox etc. pinion which is extra long to reach the counter gear . Anyone else noticed this problem and found a solution ?

cheers.

• Like 2

This is my main issue with the Blitzer chassis. With the kit supplied motor and pinion it is impossible to get the pinion set correctly. As you said the motor shafts on Tamiya closed end bell motors are way to short. This is an issue on other chassis as well, even the band new BBX. The best solution is to get a motor with a longer shaft. The kit supplied aluminum pinion is also a problem on almost every Tamiya vehicle being that it wears prematurely. I have run a Robinson Racing steel 13 tooth 32 pitch pinion for most of my Blitzers life on a black can motor. It still had the issue of the motor shaft being to short but I lived with it. In a quest to quiet down the gear box noise I recently replaced the 32 pitch pinion with an Arrma 0.8 mod 13 tooth steel pinion. Based on photos online I was hoping the pinion would be longer along it's axis and solve the short shaft problem. It helped a little but not much. The transmission is just as loud as ever too. As I mention I could just install a different motor with a longer shaft and solve this issue. I keep a spare set of Blitzer plastic gears on hand for the eventual failure. I will add though that I have not noticed any wear on the plastic spur gear in all the years of running, even though the pinion had only been contacting a portion of the spurs teeth. The damage to your spur gear is mostly a result of the worn out aluminum pinion.

• Like 2

I had this problem with the DT-02. Not all pinions are the same. Check pictures (if possible) and buy a few to find the best fitting one. Older motors have longer shafts, if you can get hold of them.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply guys :) .  I've ordered an aftermarket steel pinion which is 6mm longer overall than the stock Tamiya one , fingers crossed it will work out . I do have an old black can Sport Tuned motor , with longer shaft , in my Frog that I could 'borrow' if the pinion doesn't work out . As a side note , I drilled through the chassis front mount holes and inserted a smooth rod (GH or similar - damper shaft) and bolted the front assembly to the tub for a stronger set up .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Otis311 said:

The damage to your spur gear is mostly a result of the worn out aluminum pinion.

I agree , the pinion gear was one of the worst I have seen 

Problem sorted . 

I bought a steel pinion from Blacksmiths Products and it is 6mm longer overall than the stock Tamiya one and now it fits better across the counter gear teeth and sits on the motor shaft more securely rather than teetering on the end of it 

• Thanks 1

Aluminium pinions are garbage, one of my pet hates, is they're still supplying kits them....🙄

This was a 2nd hand dt02 I got 

2021-03-06_09-30-17

Pinion wears quickly, the worn aluminium turns to grinding paste (the dust on this pic) ,increasing wear around other gears etc etc.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I hate to say it, but the Traxxas 12T Titan motors have a longer shaft that would probably work in a DT-02 or Blitzer chassis, if you're running brushed motors.

If you're in the States, Robinson Racing pinions are usually a little longer than Tamiyas pinions, and they're steel.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys.

With the steel pinion I have fitted today it is a good result and I'm happy with it  , but I have also bought another motor with a long shaft just for a backup and an 'out of interest' to see if it matches up with the standard pinion (not that I would fit an alu. pinion ) and the steel pinion fits even better

I am glad i read this post my Blitzer is running stock pinion but i have ordered a steel one for it though i do run a 20t motor with slightly longer shaft

• Like 2

Tamiya hop-up 53831 improves (solves?) this issue on the DT-02 and DT-03 by adding a motor mount spacer that allows the pinion to be mounted from its opposite end. The result seems to increase engagement length of the pinion with the motor shaft.

Has anybody tried this hop-up?

pic.php?firm=Tamiya&best=53831&num=01&id

That's not going to work on the Blitzer Beetle as the pinion gear is already mounted that way round:

Screenshot 2023-12-02 144047.png

• Like 2

On 11/30/2023 at 6:24 PM, KEV THE REV said:

Problem sorted . 

I bought a steel pinion from Blacksmiths Products and it is 6mm longer overall than the stock Tamiya one and now it fits better across the counter gear teeth and sits on the motor shaft more securely rather than teetering on the end of it 

Did you use the old black can ST? 

No , I left that in the Frog . The steel  pinion fits sweet on the Torque Tuned . I bought a 13T steel pinion too so the alternate gear options are still there . I have also got a new later version silver can Sport Tuned for later use.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

No , I left that in the Frog . The steel  pinion fits sweet on the Torque Tuned . I bought a 13T steel pinion too so the alternate gear options are still there . I have also got a new later version silver can Sport Tuned for later use.

Nice, do you run NiMH or LiPo now Kev? 

1 hour ago, KEV THE REV said:

I still run NiMh,  not got the guts to go Lipo yet  🙄

Haha me to Kev! 

Would you share the link please for the pinions you bought please.

I’d like to get them as well 👍

Just had a look at the website - looks good. 

2 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

Haha me to Kev! 

Would you share the link please for the pinions you bought please.

I’d like to get them as well 👍

Just had a look at the website - looks good. 

I'll get some links . I got 32dp pinions as they are pretty much the same as 0.8 mod , and he is sold out of 0.8 mod anyway . I went for the longer length (15mm) to attain the reach and stability. The assembled gearbox turns nice and smooth 

• Thanks 1

I've bought a lot of gear from BSP , he sells some odball stuff that you don't see most anywhere , but slso the everyday items too . 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

I'll get some links . I got 32dp pinions as they are pretty much the same as 0.8 mod , and he is sold out of 0.8 mod anyway . I went for the longer length (15mm) to attain the reach and stability. The assembled gearbox turns nice and smooth 

Seems I bought the last 15T pinion , but here is the link for the 13T one 

RC 1/10 Scale 540 550 560 Motor Pinion Gear 13T 13 Teeth Tooth 32 DP Pitch | eBay

If you drop him a line to find out if he might have more coming in 

• Thanks 1

On 12/6/2023 at 6:23 PM, KEV THE REV said:

Seems I bought the last 15T pinion , but here is the link for the 13T one 

RC 1/10 Scale 540 550 560 Motor Pinion Gear 13T 13 Teeth Tooth 32 DP Pitch | eBay

If you drop him a line to find out if he might have more coming in 

Thanks Kev, just ordered a couple.

I’d be interested to see your chassis mod as well, if you don’t mind? 

Sure thing . I'll get some shots of it . It is a simple mod but I think it will hold up better than the top and bottom self tappers. This chassis took a big hit ( not by me ) and was put back together by the previous owner but one of the front end lower mounts had split the tub where the screw head sits , the rest of the chassis tub is ok so I made the mod to both sides. I also made an ESC shelf to keep it off the bottom of the tub and give some extra reach to the motor wires. 

20231207_113126.jpg

The shell was shredded front , back and roof A pillar , but I've spent a lot of time repairing it as I like a challenge and it is a MK1 shell and chassis . 

20231110_115640.jpg