Sign in to follow this  
netsmithUK

What decals should i do next

I'll look into the sponsor ones, although I don't know why seeing as i already do it on the other sheets, I just worry a bit more about copyright on producing loads of company logos.

I'm not parma, I'm not looking to make a living out of selling decals or taking them on in the generic decal market. I also can't risk being left with decals that don't sell. I'm just looking to produce some simple replacement repro decals for collectors of old cars which they cannot buy anywhere else - so they can get their models back to their former glory.

Funnily enough I was talking to someone about custom decals for particular cars this morning. I like the idea but its very risky on two fronts

a) I have to spend quite a bit of time preparing the artwork at which point (still on screen), people might not even like them

:) I have to get them produced in large runs to keep prices down, so a custom job is going to be a harder sell and smaller market. So it could end up be a costly folly.

Compare both those options with producing decals for the monster beetle or super champ, everyone knows what they are going to look like and what they are going to get and I'm providing a service to collectors of old tamiya rc models.

Chris

If you go for repro, what about alternate colors? The alternate color scheme is a way to customize that will not require to redo all the artwork.

Frog & bruiser are difinitevely the only two tamiya I would not paint after the artbox: this pink is even worse than the SS french baby blue.

That pink olour realy sucked. I rememeber when I got my frog I was so happy that it was painted blue!! One of the kids in our neighbourhood painted it pink.... changed it to blue in one week!

But on the decalls issue. Sponsornames are an issue for you. There is something like copyright. Some people (like me) are looking for tobacco decalls since they arn't allowed on 'toys'. My F201 Ferrari now has Marlborro decals and it looks way better than the original decals!

Pumpkins, but with whichever side makes the "cindy" stagecoach decal face back the wrong way reversed. If someone flipped that one, so that the coach faces the direction of travel on both sides, and remirrored the writing so it stayed correct, people would use those alternates a lot more :)

In terms of sponsorship decals etc, I'd really like to see more of the sort you'd find on retro and drag type cars rather than the more sober and stylised modern logos. The kinda wacky stuff is pretty fitting for a lot of the models that are either deserving of cool decals, or from a model which would require finding repro's and replacements...

Cheers!

I think the key is to research which models are having bodies reproduced and then go for that market.

Hi Chris,

you must reproduce all old Tamiya sponsors like Accel, monroe, GR Racing Fuel or Super Gripper.

This should be a great thing, they are usable on all cars, olds and news.

Cheers

Massimo

quote:I'm not parma, I'm not looking to make a living out of selling decals or taking them on in the generic decal market. I also can't risk being left with decals that don't sell.
id="quote">id="quote">

Yeah, I think we all accept where you're coming from but you've got to admit that the Parma police/taxi decal sheets fall way short of acceptable.....that was my point.

The problem with a venture like this is that you will never please everybody all of the time. So what do you do? Perhaps take a vote from seriously interested members who are prepared to underwrite the job by paying a deposit up front....Hopefully if everybody follows through your stock is fully sold pre-production turns a profit for yourself and/or Tamiyaclub.com

However, Raemin's idea could kill a couple of birds with one stone.....great idea!!

Hi Chris,

it's very simple avoid the problem of copyright. Change something from original sponsors like a letter for example. Nothing that can change the graphic but the brand name will be different.

Kontemax

To guarantee strong sales it's got to be Monster Beetle, Vannessa's Lunchbox or Midnight Pumpkin. What am I saying? I've got none of those! DOH!

..or, you could double your chances of a sale by doing twin packs such as Lunchbox/Pumpkin or King Cab/Hilux etc? [xx(]

quote:Originally posted by kontemax

Hi Chris,

it's very simple avoid the problem of copyright. Change something from original sponsors like a letter for example. Nothing that can change the graphic but the brand name will be different.

Kontemax

id="quote">id="quote">

Protoforms Porsche 911GT1 bodies comes with a sticker sheet that does not have the word Porsche on it. In one corner there is the word POR, and another corner of the sticker sheet has the word SCHE. No copyright problems, but they can't control which stickers the owner put next to each other.

Chris,

Could you do a run of the Hilux decals, but his time with the yellow red stripes being yellow orange?

James

In my opinion we should have TAMIYACLUB.COM decals in different shapes and sizes,then when we put them on our car we'l get more members becuase its advertising for us!

Great idea!![:D][8D]

My vote for decals:

Mercedes Benz 190E - Diebels Alt

Schnitzer M3 - Auto Tech

Schnitzer M3 - Linder M3

Well the one set that I could really use right about now (and one that would be quite popular is AVANTE) though it would appear that the SUPER CHAMP decal set has won this argument hands down [;)] personally I would also like to see a proper set of HOLIDAY BUGGY and LUNCHBOX Decals [:D] as some recent repro sets I bought for these models from other sellers were less than perfect [B)]

No-One does Reproduction decals as well as you Chris [;)] keep up the good work! [^]

quote:Originally posted by wldnas

personally I would also like to see a proper set of ... LUNCHBOX Decals

id="quote">id="quote">

I don't think you'll have to worry about a new set of them shortly. Good job Chris hasn't gone to the trouble of redrawing the Lunchbox logos though.

How about Hornet decals?[:D][:D][;)]

If the LB gets re-released it won't have all the cool sponsor decals that the old one did. take a look at what they did to the Hornet decals

Club dcals would be ace. [:D] from really small 2cm logos upto bigger ones, would be ace. Just an idea. That way it keeps most people happy. But either way some people will be disapointed.

thanks

James

:)