twaleta

Tamiya f chassis

Hey all.I have recently become very interested in the tamiya f chasiss.I like quirky,weird cars and the idea of a fwd rc car really excites me.Was wondering which f chassis is the most fun (and cost friendly).Would want to race at my carpet track one day :)

• Like 1

I think m05 is the one that is easily obtainable (lots of parts support) and like it a lot personally. 
Other ones such as ff01/02/03/04, m01/m03 are all discontinued so parts are hard to come by (or expensive).

Recently released MB-01 can be configured as FWD, but looks like m05 performs better.

If you plan to race a lot, m07 would be a step up from m05. (I like m05 for more casual running since it can be set to rally spec)

Though if you want to go with full size touring, ff03 would be nice

While the FF-03 is discontinued as a kit, parts are still pretty easily available, and it is compatible with the suspension from more recent race grade releases too, so keeping one going isn't all that hard. You can also still get a lot of carbon reinforced parts for it.

I have one and I rate it very highly. (My fleet also contains the FF-01, FF-02, M-03, M-05 and M-07, so I have a pretty good range of Tamiya FWDs to compare it to.)

• Like 3

the new BT-01 can be built with front wheel drive, so there is that as an option.

• Like 1

Does the FF stand for Fast Forward? (yes, I belong to the tape rewind generation) :D

• Like 1

Can you still find FFs now? Not used or crazy eBay priced ones? The only FWD TCs I know of these days are all not Tamiya.

Carten T410FWD (FMF)

Xpress Execute MF1 (FMF)

3R Cero FWD (FMF)

3R Sakura FF series (FMF)

The only true FF chassis (like the Tamiya FFs) I know of is the Xpress Execute FT1.

Of course there will be more but non of them are from Tamiya.

• Like 2

@twaleta if you are located in the US you can buy used FF-03's all day long on eBay and a lot of them are in very good conditions and come with hop-ups. They will set you back around 150$. But if you want to sample some FWD action from a new kit I agree with @Sogogi that the M05 is the easiest way. Be warned - M05's are a lot of fun!

Edit: there is always Buyee... I just going to leave this here: https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/f1115605979?conversionType=search_suggest

;)

We actually have a dedicated FF thread and has many informations about FF/FWD cars.

Here:

• Like 2

Never driven an m-chassis so can't compare those, but at 10th scale I LOVE FF01s. Yes the parts ard old and rare, but they are such nice cars to drive. Big setup window, easy to handle. My ff03 was good too, but much easier to mess up the handling with adjustments. The FF01 is just great. IMO

• Like 1

I was able to get my hands on an FF01 over the summer from Ebay and have enjoyed it quite a bit. It only set me back around $100 total and was in good running condition. I've been replacing some parts due to self tapping screws cracking the old plastics, nothing a few minutes in CAD, a cup of tea, and kicking back while I wait for new parts to come off my 3d printer cant fix :lol:. I would say if you have the chance to snag one up then go for it!

• Like 1

I’ve been working on ff01 recently and it is so simple.. like ta01/02 but even simpler. I love it. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sogogi said:

I think m05 is the one that is easily obtainable (lots of parts support) and like it a lot personally. 
Other ones such as ff01/02/03/04, m01/m03 are all discontinued so parts are hard to come by (or expensive).

Recently released MB-01 can be configured as FWD, but looks like m05 performs better.

If you plan to race a lot, m07 would be a step up from m05. (I like m05 for more casual running since it can be set to rally spec)

Though if you want to go with full size touring, ff03 would be nice

Yes the m05 is a good chassis,but i would prefer fullsize touring :)

13 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

While the FF-03 is discontinued as a kit, parts are still pretty easily available, and it is compatible with the suspension from more recent race grade releases too, so keeping one going isn't all that hard. You can also still get a lot of carbon reinforced parts for it.

I have one and I rate it very highly. (My fleet also contains the FF-01, FF-02, M-03, M-05 and M-07, so I have a pretty good range of Tamiya FWDs to compare it to.)

Yes the ff03 seems like a very good chassis and has the most parts available out of all ff cars.Good to know that parts are available :)

13 hours ago, Alexei said:

the new BT-01 can be built with front wheel drive, so there is that as an option.

yes but the ff03 is a front motor car which i think is cool and i like discontinued stuff.I will be looking for news on the bt01 tho :o

6 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Can you still find FFs now? Not used or crazy eBay priced ones? The only FWD TCs I know of these days are all not Tamiya.

Carten T410FWD (FMF)

Xpress Execute MF1 (FMF)

3R Cero FWD (FMF)

3R Sakura FF series (FMF)

The only true FF chassis (like the Tamiya FFs) I know of is the Xpress Execute FT1.

Of course there will be more but non of them are from Tamiya.

Yes pretty sure schumacher makes a race dedicated one and mst makes a fwd civic which is used alot for drag racing 

5 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

@twaleta if you are located in the US you can buy used FF-03's all day long on eBay and a lot of them are in very good conditions and come with hop-ups. They will set you back around 150$. But if you want to sample some FWD action from a new kit I agree with @Sogogi that the M05 is the easiest way. Be warned - M05's are a lot of fun!

Edit: there is always Buyee... I just going to leave this here: https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/f1115605979?conversionType=search_suggest

;)

Yes! Will definetly try to find some good deals and if not might get a m05 :) (probably wont be able to race in fullsize touring car tho)

2 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

We actually have a dedicated FF thread and has many informations about FF/FWD cars.

Here:

Thanks! Have read so much of this thread already about ff cars its really good.. and fueled my obsession more lol

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Never driven an m-chassis so can't compare those, but at 10th scale I LOVE FF01s. Yes the parts ard old and rare, but they are such nice cars to drive. Big setup window, easy to handle. My ff03 was good too, but much easier to mess up the handling with adjustments. The FF01 is just great. IMO

Yes they sure do seem like very fun cars.parts availability is definetly a challnge with a ff01 tho 

52 minutes ago, An_RC_Guy said:

I was able to get my hands on an FF01 over the summer from Ebay and have enjoyed it quite a bit. It only set me back around $100 total and was in good running condition. I've been replacing some parts due to self tapping screws cracking the old plastics, nothing a few minutes in CAD, a cup of tea, and kicking back while I wait for new parts to come off my 3d printer cant fix :lol:. I would say if you have the chance to snag one up then go for it!

Yes! Would be a great rc car and would be fun to take to the track :)

15 minutes ago, twaleta said:

Yes pretty sure schumacher makes a race dedicated one and mst makes a fwd civic which is used alot for drag racing 

There are more I am sure. The MST one you refering to is the TCR-FF? That, IMHO, is a different class to standard TC. It don't even have shocks!

EDIT: WRONG LINK

That is convertible, FF, MR, RR or 4WD with twin motor!

22 minutes ago, Sogogi said:

I’ve been working on ff01 recently and it is so simple.. like ta01/02 but even simpler. I love it. 

Simple rc cars are awesome to work on 

1 minute ago, alvinlwh said:

There are more I am sure. The MST one you refering to is the TCR-FF? That, IMHO, is a different class to standard TC. It don't even have shocks!

Yes the tcr-ff.I never knew it didnt have shocks?!?!?? Very strange 

1 minute ago, twaleta said:

Yes the tcr-ff.I never knew it didnt have shocks?!?!?? Very strange 

You replied while I was editing it. No it has no shocks, just springs. I quoted the wrong thread. Here is the correct one of a TCR-M I had built, the FF is the same, just longer.

The interesting thing about them is they can be modified into a twin motor 4WD chassis.

• Thanks 1

@twaleta Another option could be to convert a XV-01 to FWD by removing the belt, resulting in a forward-motor FWD configuration just like an FF-03. The weight balance even seems to be close to the FF-03, with around 63% front and 37% rear. Perhaps all that is needed for a carpet FWD XV-01 conversion is to remove the belt, lower the suspension a bit (maybe also change shocks), and perhaps add stabilizers to reduce body roll. You could also keep the rear diff, which would add tuning options no other dedicated FF car would have.

Some interesting info:

Re-Build Complete: Tamiya XV-01 FF - R/C Tech Forums (rctech.net)

With the XV-01 being more plentiful both in kit and spare parts, it could be a viable option.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, OoALEJOoO said:

Another option could be to convert a XV-01 to FWD by removing the belt,

Just wanted to write that. The closest thing to classic Tamiya FF, that's still available. FF-04 is basically an FF XV-01TC with carbon chassis.

• Like 2