Rb4276

Optima mid build

After sitting on this for over a year and just finished my jj build except for the body I figured get this done. 

IMG_0850.jpeg

• Like 5

I just love the optima mid I bought the yeah racing carbon fibre kit and alloy rear wing mount although I haven’t changed the actual chassis for the carbon fibre one because I like the stock alloy chassis better it has shape to it 

image.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

MID's rock.  I need to test paint the acua green/pepper mint colors I bought for that WC Spec MID.. 

IMG_2023-4-14-164213.thumb.jpg.d3f3cd72586207bb8abdacec7ae51a5c.jpg

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, moffman said:

I just love the optima mid I bought the yeah racing carbon fibre kit and alloy rear wing mount although I haven’t changed the actual chassis for the carbon fibre one because I like the stock alloy chassis better it has shape to it 

image.jpg

I too never bought the bottom chassis, i like it as aluminum better. I do want to get optima mid chassic cover that kyosho released 

Moving along with my mid build. I had to toss the yeah racing motor plate. It was not sitting right no matter what I did causing the slipper pad to rub very badly and jamming up the gearbox. Also one of the motor mount slots to connect to the gear box stripped on the first try installing.

IMG_6954.jpeg

• Like 4

Joy!!! Luckily i have a spare set from my optima. I remember people complaining about this issue when it came out. 

IMG_6955.jpeg

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

Joy!!! Luckily i have a spare set from my optima. I remember people complaining about this issue when it came out. Shouldn't happen in a premium kit like the Mid...

IMG_6955.jpeg

Normally Kyosho customer service is very cooperative, if you contact them you'll probably get a new one send to you.

27 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

Normally Kyosho customer service is very cooperative, if you contact them you'll probably get a new one send to you.

I agree.  Kyosho is a great company but sometimes bad parts find their way to the customer.

A couple of the wheels included with my Turbo Scorpion were warped.  I phoned Kyosho and in a couple days, I received a new set.

The person I spoke to was extremely humble and courteous.  Just give them a call.  :)  

• Like 2

Yeah, I know it's after the fact and best to make the best out of a bad situation, but my expectation would be that Kyosho improves their QC at their outsourced Taiwanese partner.  Perhaps they did, since I've not seen this issue recently.. I considered myself just lucky that I bought 2 early kits (with the special poster and extra body decals for Turbo MID included) without any problems and additional 2 afterwards and no issue with those as well.

I hope no issue with the WC Spec MID... :ph34r:

IMG_2022-10-23-073905.thumb.jpg.b3c6054539b65ab233d7664c55dfcd30.jpg

One of these days I'm going to visit Kogawa-san and have these posters autographed.  He's over in Honolulu today running the marathon as I type.  He's incredibly in shape!   

• Like 2

What's your secret applying decals so nicely?  I always seem to have to lift and reposition and then I end up with bubbles!  Is there a special technique involving a dish soap solution?

9 hours ago, clobbo said:

What's your secret applying decals so nicely?  I always seem to have to lift and reposition and then I end up with bubbles!  Is there a special technique involving a dish soap solution?

@clobbo a hairdryer in addition to the soapy water also helps.....but Willy iine may have some other secret sauce to tell us about 😁....

• Like 1

A small bowl of water with one drop of washing up liquid in it to break up the surface tension works for me.  Put some on the surface of the body then dunk the decal in the water too.  Slide into position and set with a hairdryer, also using heat to help the decal stretch and bend to fit around curves.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, IXLR8 said:

I agree.  Kyosho is a great company but sometimes bad parts find their way to the customer.

A couple of the wheels included with my Turbo Scorpion were warped.  I phoned Kyosho and in a couple days, I received a new set.

The person I spoke to was extremely humble and courteous.  Just give them a call.  :)  

This is not a bad part, this looks like a raw cast to me. Put it in a frame on the wall. How cool!

On 12/10/2023 at 5:10 PM, Willy iine said:

Yeah, I know it's after the fact and best to make the best out of a bad situation, but my expectation would be that Kyosho improves their QC at their outsourced Taiwanese partner.  Perhaps they did, since I've not seen this issue recently.. I considered myself just lucky that I bought 2 early kits (with the special poster and extra body decals for Turbo MID included) without any problems and additional 2 afterwards and no issue with those as well.

I hope no issue with the WC Spec MID... :ph34r:

IMG_2022-10-23-073905.thumb.jpg.b3c6054539b65ab233d7664c55dfcd30.jpg

One of these days I'm going to visit Kogawa-san and have these posters autographed.  He's over in Honolulu today running the marathon as I type.  He's incredibly in shape!   

I’ve only had one poster in a kit from Kyosho and that was the very first batch of the original optima ever since then I’ve had nothing in the kit boxes:(

On 12/10/2023 at 2:40 PM, clobbo said:

I did a post a few days ago on another tread which I can't find anymore. :lol: haha

I use slip solution as I'm a clumsy guy.  I can end up with bubbles too if I'm not careful and know where to press as I allow the solution and bubbles to escape.  There is a learning curve for sure.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 4:22 PM, moffman said:

I’ve only had one poster in a kit from Kyosho and that was the very first batch of the original optima ever since then I’ve had nothing in the kit boxes:(

Yeah, out of the 4 MIDs I have, the 2 were from the early lot with the posters and TurboOptima decals (and spare body I think too, right?).. the other 2 were bought 5-6 months later as I wanted to do the black versions and did not include anything else but the car itself.  

But what's really missing is the autograph..  I need to get them signed and my Scorpion body signed as well on the hood. B)

26 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Yeah, out of the 4 MIDs I have, the 2 were from the early lot with the posters and TurboOptima decals (and spare body I think too, right?).. the other 2 were bought 5-6 months later as I wanted to do the black versions and did not include anything else but the car itself.

Nope, just another wing (black as well as white).

Only issue i had recently was one gold shock leaking until i rebuilt it 3 times and is still leaking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rb4276 said:

Only issue i had recently was one gold shock leaking until i rebuilt it 3 times and is still leaking.

I had the exact same issue and it turned out to be part No OT209-4 was cracked and the oil was leaking past it (might have well not been their) and I don’t exactly know what it does but I changed it and the leak stopped!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, moffman said:

I had the exact same issue and it turned out to be part No OT209-4 was cracked and the oil was leaking past it (might have well not been their) and I don’t exactly know what it does but I changed it and the leak stopped!

I was hoping i had an extra set of that part tree from my re re optima but i rebuilt my gold shocks on the optima last year. So I have to order them.  It is really bs because redid that shock 3 times and even used the clear orings which supposedly stops any leaking hahah.

12 minutes ago, Rb4276 said:

I was hoping i had an extra set of that part tree from my re re optima but i rebuilt my gold shocks on the optima last year. So I have to order them.  It is really bs because redid that shock 3 times and even used the clear orings which supposedly stops any leaking hahah.

I’ve just had a look to see if I have a tree with those parts on but unfortunately they are all taken off:( but like you I must have taken those shocks apart about half a dozen times and I couldn’t see what was wrong:unsure: then I noticed a small split I’d obviously cut it off to close to the actual spacer! And i can only assume it was flexing inside letting the oil pass it…….l think????

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, moffman said:

I’ve just had a look to see if I have a tree with those parts on but unfortunately they are all taken off:( but like you I must have taken those shocks apart about half a dozen times and I couldn’t see what was wrong:unsure: then I noticed a small split I’d obviously cut it off to close to the actual spacer! And i can only assume it was flexing inside letting the oil pass it…….l think????

It is just odd because the re re optima red shocks I had the same issue, as did many people. My JJ build shocks are perfect. I just ordered the parts. 

Someone  on facebook told me to use plumber’s tape around the threads. I am goin to try later. 

• Thanks 1