Sign in to follow this  
technics

Scale Technics MF-01X WRC GR Yaris Factory Recce Car

Fun dreaming up what’s next on my desk for 2024. As piled on projects await parts or additonal computer time.

The First project of 2024 begins! 

Project Details -

MF-01X - 239mm

GR YARIS Factory Rally Recce vehicle 

Rally Nippon Japan theme

Single vehicle colour - White or Black

Miscellaneous WRC / Factory prototype markings and decals

Tom’s factory car? TRD? 

Mudflaps

Interior 

Integrated into front bumper or auxiliary horizontal light bar

Description - 

Usually single colour with a few markings / extra lamps recce car that blasts the rally stages to either take notes in days and weeks leading up to a rally event or day of before the first timed race car is launched from starting grid. I’ve been fortunate enough to attend a dozen or two rally events over the years both wrc and professional / amateur national rallies and witnessed first hand. Usually it was 2-3 cars going through the full stage usually with a siren of some sort indicating the road is about to be a full fledged race track. Each car closer to the first car start was driving closer and closer to 10/10ths usually started out as passenger cars, transitioning to one with a cage, to one that was a liveryless full race car. Very exciting!!

Hope everyone’s off to a great new year start! 

“Recce is short for reconnaissance. This activity is when the racers get to scout the roads before the event. In all cases, the roads are still open to the public and to two-way public traffic during recce, so this is not a "practice session" in any fashion.

Ne7VVpR.jpeg
HH0zjYb.jpeg

• Like 4

I will take inspiration from this factory looking car. Particularly aspects of the livery, horizontal lamps, jack points, jack themselves? I found it inspiring overall.

Also Toyota released a version of the GR Yaris with a spec called GRMN. ( bit akward maybe for a badging but ) maybe an inspiration twist. I’ll see where this takes me as it build goes on.

”GRMN stands for Gazoo Racing tuned by “Meister of Nürburgring.” It is a name that pays tribute to the input of Toyota Gazoo Racing’s test drivers in developing the car’s performance and handling on the legendary German circuit.

That input is the direct result of Toyota’s commitment to making Ever Better Cars. This philosophy is the driving force behind Toyota Gazoo Racing, which participates in motorsports series the world over.

Under the extreme conditions of motorsport, Toyota Gazoo Racing is constantly gathering data and experience and feeds this valuable knowledge back into our road-going cars.”

fNWZcKI.jpeg
CjVbnv4.png
oTV9tBc.jpeg

JNWcIQm.jpeg
n7jH6nB.jpeg
VESwamH.jpeg
SYbP7KG.jpeg
rwCmGOl.jpeg
OBjJhDh.jpeg

• Like 5

Possible edits to a otherwise stock body. As much as I love full on wrc, this is not a wrc body, the spirit is the aim. Toyota just had their latest car homoligated, maybe take some queues from there. Or build a stock coloured one that’s run at the track and stripped. We’ll see what I feel like ultimately. Right now uncertain. 

D8ieL4x.jpeg
Pjhu5L0.jpeg
kZClev2.jpeg

• Like 6

First pieces are arriving. I opted for a kit in bag this time, is this the adult way like buying wine in a bag/box?

I didn’t necessarily want a body with pre drilled holes nor knobby tires. The electrics would’ve been nice though.

2FhLWlG.jpeg

Yt5dTci.jpeg

TUyoW4i.jpeg

• Like 2

Repurposing a set of M scale Ronal R10 by rcracinglegends that were an experiment during my Golf Gti build. Their concave dish design is very attractive and gives a nod to aero discs when re branded to this context in my opinion. I made some iconic OZ Racing drawings and made a test print on paper. Varied sizes in both M and regular 1:10.

Wheels will be primed and painted white. 

gUc8M3y.jpeg
df7gR9Z.jpeg
u08TZWO.jpeg

• Like 5

Excited for this. Lots of mf-01x builds make me want one again…

Always wanted a yaris.. but no longer available in states… :( 

• Like 2

@Sogogi Thanks! Me too 😊 . Tamico have them in bucketloads if your looking they’ll ship anywhere 👌

Two gearboxes, and main chassis is now fused. It’s not lightweight by any stretch of the imagination. But feels robust and simple. I must admit it I’d prefer if it was one type of plastic. Not just by colour but also by surface finish, there’s alot going on currently.

PgCMwFQ.jpeg
bnrIGcA.jpeg

FPikwjP.jpeg
Eho3AVJ.jpeg

• Like 1

Pooof it stands upright! I’ll make a set of decals to fit these wheels too.

MgGfulI.jpeg
LzgRTYB.jpeg

• Like 4

The modern GR Yaris body doesn´t match well if you want a nice ride height, so i had to go at it. 

xvzGkhf.jpg

3giMgPt.jpg

5PIVgaJ.jpg

• Like 1

It looks pretty neat in person, it´s still a tad high. I will lower it slightly, and offset the final wheels down the line.

The maximum turning throw is a true joke on this chassis. I will dremel out the arms if I am keeping it. 

njOpXGe.jpg

m286ZV2.jpg

9vkaeG0.jpg

byqDEbF.jpg

• Like 4

Spent too much time trying to get this just right. It’s hopefully going to work when it arrives. Made to work with the R10 Ronals, this is sort of a conversion decal set for the blank ones. While doing the work I decided to  the it work with Tamiya rubber and wheels seen in both scales for myself or anyone in the future inclined to use them.
G3ffjp0.jpegvMFcVML.jpeg
SbsYvFK.jpeg
EB0anZb.jpeg

• Like 4

I’m doing alot of sanding and small prep work throughout. I will do my combination of tape, mesh, styrene and layering of paint to give some depth to the front and overall which is just a simple piece of lexan plastic. I love this part! 

I mocked up some oem decals to be made in metal.
FFfb4dN.jpeg7nbCPko.jpeg

• Like 4

So I’ve been debating this since the idea came to my head. Livery or no livery. I’m split to the day. I’m leaning more doing an oem deep metallic red recce car instead of a livery one.. ( or make both 😅 ) my reservation of doing a livery is the build getting lost in “all the other” Toyota yaris livery builds. Although rarely in m scale compared to the wrc 1:10 available.

CkmZbUQ.jpeg
vs.
5BvuojQ.jpeg

g5w6zOj.jpeg

• Like 1

Paint arrived. Oem Vs Livery.

GOPedEi.jpeg

WoFJHss.jpeg

From an helpful fb post I learnt that this is apparently translucent red backed with silver / gunmetal. Looks very oem too. I’ll have to try the metallic red with a dark backing first though.

vErUsTw.jpeg

Who cannot love a red roadgoing non-livery version? I thought you were going for that from day one (or in white).

Looking forward to see how it turns out B)

• Like 1

Mockup of a grill fin. I’ll try with thicker styrene. There’s any number of ways of doing this I’m enjoying learning this new medium I admired for decades.  I’m doing something very basic of course! We’ll see if its aesthetic enough to make it onto the final model. 

Also quick mockup of a modern horizontal light bar. 

M4SGeE0.jpeg

Tabnogi.jpeg
0s6FSK9.jpeg

VBYc0rZ.jpeg
U6EJz5H.jpeg
dbosVIw.jpeg

• Like 4

Wheels got a bunch of light coats of fine primer. Tested two layers of metallic red against a white and a black backdrop.  Looks promising. Gunmetal will be tried too.

yqdVrsK.jpeguJsXNdw.jpegKI0y0kx.jpeg

• Like 1

I tried some grill fins with a thicker styrene which didn´t end up working as i´d like which brought me to try another way next.

DoBp2ZB.jpg

Fhl4lYG.jpg

mNAN7k4.jpg

I cleaned the body thoroughly and started to place masks. I am not a fan of using sticker sheets for this so I usually paint black trim from the outside but decided on a car like this that has alot of black glossy area on the rear lamps and side windows I am going for it from the inside this time!

ktDLREt.jpg

bCYUp7c.jpg

• Like 4

Live images from Monte Carlo 2024 which is starting today!

Topical subject :) ! Recce cars flying off the road. Not so scientific rally lamp pod mounting :D 

BEki0Ay.jpeg

UKLdMYe.jpeg

UeyEI50.jpeg

h9xO94H.png

• Like 1

My vote is for OEM, not livery. I think livery will always be meaner on the yaris wrc/rally1 that is available. This one here lives from the realistic approach, the subtle OEM almost original feeling.  

• Thanks 1

Agreed. Plain white all day. Recce cars have always been like it. Been watching the recce cars since McRaes Volvos in the late nineties. 

Cracking work so far. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Butler said:

Agreed. Plain white all day. Recce cars have always been like it. Been watching the recce cars since McRaes Volvos in the late nineties. 

Cracking work so far. 

Somehow i wish to see that metallic candy Apple Red on the recce yaris :D very unusual for me but im just feeling that. Since wtcc5's shingo tachi thread i dig white wheels on colored cars :)

• Thanks 1