Sign in to follow this  
APR91

Rusty springs :-)

Hi,

I've obtained an original Bigwig and need to start cleaning it up.  The technigold motor is gone but everything else seems to be there.  I just need to strip it down, check for broken bits and  and clean everything before I put it together again with a shiny new shell.  Usually I can clean the springs up with a bit of sandpaper, but on this car they are particularly nasty.  Do you guys have any methods of cleaning the springs up or am I better off just buying some new ones?  They do seem to be available.

Thanks in advance.

Alan

There are many ways of cleaning rust off things. Liquids you can get from diy stores that you can leave parts in to soak e.g. https://www.homebase.co.uk/hg-rust-remover-500ml/12807543.html

(I think you can also try things like soaking in vinegar https://housetrick.com/removing-rust-with-vinegar-and-baking-soda/)

Some people who do lots of restoration get ultrasonic cleaners but thats a bit more of an investment.

Lots of videos on YT showing people using electrolysis to remove rust. These are often quite easy to setup needing a bowl, a car battery, some wires and some sacrificial metal.

• Like 1

@APR91 If those are springs that are difficult to obtain (like M38 WildWilly springs) or just want to save cost, then I believe it's worth the effort to restore them.. but if not, chances are you're going to coat them with something to protect the metal (unless oil) after the cleaning and it will no longer be "original".. so I guess it depends on what you are trying to achieve with the car.   GL with the restoration!  

I would remove the rust mechanically rather than chew off even more material with chemicals.

Something like this would work:

JtxODhK.png

Then for future rust protection, a very light coat of any rust inhibitor would work. I use something called ACF50:

lOZawsv.png

RC vehicle only corrode when neglected and stored for long term in humid weather (unless you run in the rain and mud of course).

Hi,

Thanks for the advice.  I've ordered some of the spinning brushes and If they cant clean the rust off I may try some of the chemical treatments.  Hopefully they'll clean up OK/

Thanks for your help.

Alan