wintersdawn

Cheap way to convert a Blitzer Beetle to a Stadium Blitzer?

No cheap way I'm aware of mate. You'll need the shell, stickers and the body mount parts, as the Blitzer mounts are very different. None of which are cheap unfortunately.

I'm thinking about selling the above parts, but for the Stadium Thunder. Just let me know if you're interested mate.

• Thanks 1

I have been considering this myself, although my Blitzer chassis is otherwise engaged (as a Falcon). The Rock Socker body is (I believe) the same as the Stadium Blitzer, and for decals I'd go to MCI. White wheels readily available.

G parts 9005363 - body mounts - look hard to get but it's the kind of thing that 3d printing might solve, either by designing yourself if you could get measurements off someone else's, or maybe someone's done it already and available on thingiverse or similar? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies, might just keep an eye out on ebay for an old body shell.

38 minutes ago, wintersdawn said:

Thanks for the replies, might just keep an eye out on ebay for an old body shell.

Can't recall ever seeing one for sale tbh mate, they are rare. As @BuggyDad said the shell was later used on the Rock Socker, and Tony's Tamiya Parts have had those for sale a couple of times over the past year or two, so could be worth dropping him a message.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kol__ said:

Can't recall ever seeing one for sale tbh mate, they are rare. As @BuggyDad said the shell was later used on the Rock Socker, and Tony's Tamiya Parts have had those for sale a couple of times over the past year or two, so could be worth dropping him a message.

Yeah I had one in my ebay basket from him but he went out of stock. I guess it'll be back. 

Hey, if anyone has some G parts I could borrow, or the relevant measurements (the front should be easy since I think the posts are in line with the chassis to bulkhead screws, I'd just need to know how far out the posts are. Not sure about the back), I would be interested in modelling up some body mounts for 3d printing. They could easily be made strong enough. 

Team Blue Groove do a re-pop body if it’s any use…

https://teambluegroove.com/products/tbg-vintage-stadium-blitzer-body-tamiya 

I believe they could be had through MCI so might be worth getting stickers & masks in one place. Sometimes they have 20% off as well.

An eBay search for them might work too. 

Edit :-  Tamico have the post tree

https://tamico.de/Tamiya-G-Teile-Karosseriehalter-Stadium-Blitzer-19005363

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately UK buyers have to get to a big minimum order value with Tamico. But other than that, Tamico have body, mounts and wheels for a total of €36.95 plus VAT and shipping. I'd call that cheap for this. Just stickers and paint then needed. But you'd need 5 of this lot to make the minimum order value 🙄

If someone is placing a Tamico order and wants to add this and send it on I'd be all ears! 

On closer inspection of the manual, I reckon both front and rear body mounts would be easy to model, I could get away with only knowing the distance between the front body holes. Can anyone measure that? Ideally also at the rear precisely the fore/aft distance from centre of body post to face of tower where G1 touches it (although I think this could be guessed to within 1mm). I may start a new thread to ask this question alone. 

4 hours ago, Kol__ said:

I checked recently sold items on ebay and there was a body for £20 and one or two complete Stadium Blitzer's, one in particular sold for £109 buy-it-now!  Its not usually a good idea to check previously sold items on ebay as usually see some missed bargains, sometimes because I didn't want it when it sold.

I might stick with my Tamiya Nissan Titan for the short course truck look on the DT-02 chassis.

http://2.jpg

Since this picture it's had its width narrowed by shortening the front/rear arms, oil filled metal shocks, a traxxas titan (!) 12 turn motor and carson dragster esc (not sure it goes down to 12 t but asked the question on here a while ago and seems its a re-badged hobbywing 1060)

Also think I might prefer the beetle bodyshell as the wide over-hanging wheel arches close up some of the gap to the wheels, whereas the stadium blitzer bodyshell goes straight down at the sides and so the gap is more noticeable.  This is my main bodyshell for my blitzer beetle and underneath the repro body that I am adding stadium blitzer white wheels to as soon as they arrive.

http://444.jpg

http://555.jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, wintersdawn said:

I checked recently sold items on ebay and there was a body for £20 and one or two complete Stadium Blitzer's, one in particular sold for £109 buy-it-now!  Its not usually a good idea to check previously sold items on ebay as usually see some missed bargains, sometimes because I didn't want it when it sold.

Yeah, but you're talking about used items there. So not the best option if you want use on a runner, in particular that old used body shell. I noticed the last time TTP sold the Rock Socker/Blitzer shell was Nov, so not that long ago, could be that they'll have it in stock again soon 🤞

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wintersdawn said:

Also think I might prefer the beetle bodyshell as the wide over-hanging wheel arches close up some of the gap to the wheels, whereas the stadium blitzer bodyshell goes straight down at the sides and so the gap is more noticeable.  This is my main bodyshell for my blitzer beetle and underneath the repro body that I am adding stadium blitzer white wheels to as soon as they arrive.

http://444.jpg

http://555.jpg

Well, on that note, I'm keen to sell the body set from my Blitzer Beetle. Everything's included... 

😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Although I've done both hard body shell's and lexan, sometimes it would just be nice to come across one already done.  Especially not keen on cutting out the lexan ones with the curved scissors and then sanding the edges.  At least the hard body's are ready to be sprayed/decal'd.

3 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

Well, on that note, I'm keen to sell the body set from my Blitzer Beetle. Everything's included... 

😉

Cheers BuggyDad, that does sound good but I've got 3 blitzer beetle bodyshells altogether so pretty much sorted.

• Like 1

Maybe if you paint it for him @BuggyDad, you'll entice him into the sale!😂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kol__ said:

Maybe if you paint it for him @BuggyDad, you'll entice him into the sale!😂

I suspect me painting a hard shell would halve its value! 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

On closer inspection of the manual, I reckon both front and rear body mounts would be easy to model, I could get away with only knowing the distance between the front body holes. Can anyone measure that? 

Front Posts are,

87mm centre to centre, 45mm high. Fixed along the screw line at the front of the tub.

Rear Posts are, 

68mm centre to centre, 30mm high. Post centre is 3.5mm in front of the Shock Tower.

IMG_6460.jpeg 

IMG_6462.jpeg

IMG_6463.jpeg 

Hope that helps mate.

(P.S Can’t do much at the mo, but If you don’t have any luck closer to home selling your BB body I’ve could have a plan for it 😉)

8 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Front Posts are,

87mm centre to centre, 45mm high. Fixed along the screw line at the front of the tub.

Rear Posts are, 

68mm centre to centre, 30mm high. Post centre is 3.5mm in front of the Shock Tower.

IMG_6460.jpeg 

IMG_6462.jpeg

IMG_6463.jpeg 

Hope that helps mate.

(P.S Can’t do much at the mo, but If you don’t have any luck closer to home selling your BB body I’ve could have a plan for it 😉)

Nice one! That is perfect info. Thanks. With that I think I'll place an order for the shell too - I can see it on pre-order. I had ordered the decals from MCI before Christmas. Only issue with my chassis is the steering is now optimised for Ackermann uprights while the stock long axle ones are straight. But then the most likely scenario is I convert to hex sometime anyway. Two models in one - I love both Falcon and Stadium Blitzer, while Blitzer Beetle does nothing for me. Even though I like Beetles. Think maybe I just can't see past the idea of a hard shell on the kind of car that's going to be chucked about a bit. 

• Like 1

IMG_0094.jpeg Always love the Blitzers. This was originally a new built  Stadium Thunder  but I got hold of a second chassis with Stadium Blitzer body. I stripped the paint a re-did in Red Bull livery. I still have the body and the chassis and somewhere I have the body mounts(🤞🏻) might put it back together again!!

• Like 3

I'm actually doing this now; Converting a BB to a SB.   My BB chassis is new and never ran and I have no running experience with this model. 

Anyway, I've sourced a body and decal set from TBG and MCI respectively and I believe I have body mounts sorted but I'm concerned about rear toe angle -- or the lack thereof.  Are replacement uprights available that provide some toe angle or is this not necessary?  I plan to replace the silver can with a 3500kV brushless and 2s or 3s at some point in time.   As it always goes, handling faults are magnified as speed increases so I'm trying to be proactive -- especially since it's just 2WD.   Any help from the TC Blitzer experts will be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, IXLR8 said:

I'm actually doing this now; Converting a BB to a SB.   My BB chassis is new and never ran and I have no running experience with this model. 

Anyway, I've sourced a body and decal set from TBG and MCI respectively and I believe I have body mounts sorted but I'm concerned about rear toe angle -- or the lack thereof.  Are replacement uprights available that provide some toe angle or is this not necessary?  I plan to replace the silver can with a 3500kV brushless and 2s or 3s at some point in time.   As it always goes, handling faults are magnified as speed increases so I'm trying to be proactive -- especially since it's just 2WD.   Any help from the TC Blitzer experts will be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

I don't think toed in options are available off the shelf. But I'm with you - I didn't want to build mine up with 0° rear toe either, so I have not run it with its stock rear uprights, but since I was doing a range of other mods I used 3d printed parts to achieve 3° toe in (my own arms, for stiffness, plus uprights for the toe-in). That one is built up as a Falcon (kinda). I also have a second hand BB now, which I intend to build up as a SB, and I will likely do the same with that. 

Another thing I have noticed with the Blitzer is that as stock it is set with nearly no droop, as it is supplied with shock shafts that are quite short for the shock bodies compared with some other models. I wanted more on my Falcon (especially with smaller wheels it needs more help with even small jump landings) so I increased this using slightly longer shock shafts. I am tempted to really play around with this on my SB, perhaps giving it a load more down travel but also adding sway bars to counter the roll that will create. A sort of long travel Stadium Blitzer if you like. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1