wintersdawn

Cheap way to convert a Blitzer Beetle to a Stadium Blitzer?

13 hours ago, IXLR8 said:

Are replacement uprights available that provide some toe angle or is this not necessary?  I plan to replace the silver can with a 3500kV brushless and 2s or 3s at some point in time.   As it always goes, handling faults are magnified as speed increases so I'm trying to be proactive -- especially since it's just 2WD.   Any help from the TC Blitzer experts will be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

I’m hardly an expert but my experience with an SB from a Silver Can starting point to a similar brushless system you’re looking at is definitely stiffen the Diff up with at least AW grease. New to it all when built it and was upto a Sport Tuned in it on NiMh it would just swap ends doing countless 360’s every time you throttled off on pavement. Wasn’t man enough for soft sand either. The Stock rear tyres don’t last 5 mins, most use Prolines, Dirt Hawgs are popular (2.2’s fit the rear, fronts are a different story being narrower) but after sticking a BL set up in it on 2’s on went the Paddle tyres and it was a hoot on the beach 😄

It says 4000kv but that’s a fib it’s a bit less about 3600kv I think.

On Pavement with grippy tyres the front wheels spent more time in the air than a Lunchbox’s 😂

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

I don't think toed in options are available off the shelf. But I'm with you - I didn't want to build mine up with 0° rear toe either, so I have not run it with its stock rear uprights, but since I was doing a range of other mods I used 3d printed parts to achieve 3° toe in (my own arms, for stiffness, plus uprights for the toe-in). That one is built up as a Falcon (kinda). I also have a second hand BB now, which I intend to build up as a SB, and I will likely do the same with that. 

Another thing I have noticed with the Blitzer is that as stock it is set with nearly no droop, as it is supplied with shock shafts that are quite short for the shock bodies compared with some other models. I wanted more on my Falcon (especially with smaller wheels it needs more help with even small jump landings) so I increased this using slightly longer shock shafts. I am tempted to really play around with this on my SB, perhaps giving it a load more down travel but also adding sway bars to counter the roll that will create. A sort of long travel Stadium Blitzer if you like. 

Well, that's a bit disappointing about the uprights.  I reckon I'll wait to run the truck then decide what to do - if anything.  I don't have a printer so I could fill the hinge pin holes with a short length of dowel from the upright's sprue then drill them with a slight angle to yield some toe-in.  I've done this in the past with other RC's and it seems to work okay.

I wasn't aware of the "no droop" issue but I've just checked my BB and you are right.  It's mostly in the rear - front seems okay.  Anyway, I will look for longer shafts.  Thanks for the heads-up.

It's always something, isn't it?  It wouldn't be a Tamiya if it was perfect. :mellow:

27 minutes ago, IXLR8 said:

I wasn't aware of the "no droop" issue but I've just checked my BB and you are right.  It's mostly in the rear - front seems okay.  Anyway, I will look for longer shafts.  Thanks for the heads-up.

:mellow:

To be fair, this isn't an issue I'd seen raised, it's just my view. 

• Thanks 1

A little PSA: TTP have the Stadium Blitzer G parts in stock. You can also get 10% off with the code TTP10 but in my haste I forgot!