^Smith^

Motor / ESC / Receiver Recommendations (2 Cars)

Good Day All

I need to get motors and ESCs and receivers for two Tamiya cars.... And of course I have several other unbuilt Tamiya models waiting to be opened.

Working on a Konghead now and a BBX to follow. I'm not a racer nor do I compete at all. Just backyard and driveway stuff. Mostly I enjoy the builds and the paint.

Brushed motors are fine, really don't need to "break any Land Speed Records"  As far as ESC's are concerned, I've been using Hobbywing products...Quicrun 1060's. Regarding receivers, I've been using Spektrum SR 215 DMRR (2-channel)......I'm out of stock on all three electronic components.

I'm still using a Spectrum DX2E Transmitter...which is also fine. I'll need to upgrade at a certain point.

So, your thoughts about choices for these electronics.  I just like play around, Like the "little kid" that I enjoy being!     Thanks guys.

image.png.a5d905448b185f9254fe4bf1c5cc1097.png I'm using this style battery / ESC connectors...I think that they are called Tamiya Connectors?

I am happy with:

HW1060 ESC

Sanwa MX-6 Radio

Sport Tuned or Super Stock Motors

Yes, it is called Tamiya Plug in RC world. I believe it is called Molex as industry standard.

• Like 1

Hobbywing 1060 or the new Tamiya THW-1060-RTR ESCs (the Tamiya version is cheaper than the HW version, certainly here in the UK at least, and it comes as standard with the Tamiya/Molex plug.

Tamiya Super Sport BZ/TZ (23T) or LRP V10 Spec.6 (10T/12T/14T/17T/19T) or Holmes Hobbies Retro Sport (15T/17T/19T/21T) motors.

They would get my vote, can't help on the receivers I'm afraid.

I'd say you're on the right track already. Most Tamiya kits (except fancier models like the BBX) should include a basic RS540 (or "Torque-Tuned" 540) motor and 1060-style ESC, and they're both just fine. Fast enough to throw some dirt around in a vacant lot, easy on the mechanicals of the car, and low power requirements so you get nice long run times. Add in a basic Futaba S3003 servo, and you've got a perfectly good electronics setup for 90% of Tamiya's catalog.

I'll leave the radio/receiver recommendations to others, because no one else here seems to like my "mount the receiver on Velcro and move it between cars" method.

• Like 2

HW1060 ESC (w. tamiya plug)

dumborc ddf 350 tx with X6FG rx

tamiya Sport Tuned motor

I think value for money this is probably one of the best combos you can get but its very subjective

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone. I think that you have reinforced the use of the basics in electronics.

As I look to purchase the Hobbywing ESC's it looks as though Hobbywing has discontinued the 1060 Brushed ESC w/ TAMIYA/Molex Batt. connector and manufactures the ESC with a T-Connector?

Pic below from Amain Hobbies. Question: Is there an adaptor from this connector to a Tamiya / Molex?

image.png.77122170aaf29227be813e473e62b789.png

Ahhh, Twin 

This looks like the answer. I guess it's manufactured by Hobby Wing and marketed by Tamiya?

Thanks much

Yep, it's the new brushed ESC included with Tamiya kits but is also available separately from lots of suppliers.  "T" and "HW" gave the game away, right?  ;)

It's 75% of the price of an HW1060 here in the UK so a no-brainer to get this over the HW version if you want a Molex plug or are happy swapping plugs yourself if need be.

So, If I wanted/needed to I could buy the Molex Connectors and cut off the connector and solder on (and shrink wrap) a Molex. 

I wonder, Would you loose any signal/power with a splice on the ESC Cable?

thanks again for everyone taking the time to reply!

2 hours ago, ^Smith^ said:

So, If I wanted/needed to I could buy the Molex Connectors and cut off the connector and solder on (and shrink wrap) a Molex. 

I wonder, Would you loose any signal/power with a splice on the ESC Cable?

thanks again for everyone taking the time to reply!

Yes, you can, as long as you can solder decently.  I just got done doing something similar myself to a new ESC (I didn't swap connectors but I had to lengthen the battery connector wires).  Shouldn't affect power unless you're solder job is really bad!! ;) 

Hey There JR

Thanks for your comment. Honestly, I've only soldered once and I was happy it worked out.

would u mind outlining your process...Which Solders etc. I'm very "green" here...Thanks

I'm a mediocre solderer at best, so I'm not really comfortable giving out advice.  I've watched several Youtube videos about soldering to help me along.  That helped a lot.  

i myself am pondering about soldering t plug for my batteries and esc...
doesnt seem like fard work but until then - i will use adapters if needed

Soldering Deans (or Tee) connectors is a little difficult unless you have the proper equipment. You need a relatively powerful iron and a set of third hands is also helpful. If you use a weak iron you risk melting the plastic portion before the metal tabs get hot enough to melt the solder. Like soldering anything you need to flux and tin the wires and connector prior to actually soldering them together. The problem with Deans connectors is that they are a little tight to work with, especially the female battery ends. Tamiya (molex) connectors are actually a crimped connection.

There is nothing wrong with using adapters. My main issue with them is the high prices. They are also bulky and create another failure point in your electrical system.

One final note. My large fleet is all Deans connectors. If I were to convert all of them today I would use the now common XT60 connector.

On 1/13/2024 at 9:36 PM, markbt73 said:

I'll leave the radio/receiver recommendations to others, because no one else here seems to like my "mount the receiver on Velcro and move it between cars" method.

Well as someone who uses Velcro to attach the esc and rx and has never even considered swapping the rx between cars I think this is a great idea and will be pinching it for the GF-01 and DT-03 to save buying another rx. 

Sorry I have nothing to add to the op just thought that a good idea tbh. 

On 1/13/2024 at 2:36 PM, markbt73 said:

because no one else here seems to like my "mount the receiver on Velcro and move it between cars" method.

Well, I do Mark!

I am always surprised to see people buying Rx's and ESC's by the dozens (!) when you can't run them all at the same time, really. As of late I have started swapping my favorite ESC between multiple cars, as well as the Rx it is hooked to. The only cars that have their own electronics are my M-05 (the wires pass under the servo and it is not practical to remove the ESC and Rx) and my rally car (the Rx is protected inside a receiver box and the ESC is mounted in an unusual location with long wires). I use double sided tape which takes me a minute or so to cut and apply when I prepare the car.

A nice perk is that I no longer have to worry about my electronics looking like a plate of spaghetti since they are either absent, or temporary! :D

The tamiya/molex connectors do not solder on.  the metal barb is crimped onto the wire (with a crimping tool you can buy) and then they insert into the plastic housing.

I buy separate receivers/servos/escs for all my vehicles for two reasons:

1) they don't all need the same "size' receiver...  some use two channels, some use twelve.

2) It is a pain in the *** to dig the receiver out of half of the vehicles...  on a few it is impossible to get the receiver out.

On 1/13/2024 at 10:36 PM, markbt73 said:

no one else here seems to like my "mount the receiver on Velcro and move it between cars" method.

I also think it's a good idea,  but personally don't do it in a larger scale. It's mainly because I have different adjustments on the different receivers and when I am happy with a car I don't wanna mess anything up. 

On my Thunder Dragon the receiver is mounted with velcro. That's because I don't want my son to drop my TX to the ground eliminating hours of testing of the different cars/profiles in it. A simple but good working GT2B has to do for him. If I was using that one transmitter I would have done the velcro method on other models.

Hmmm. Maybe I should velcro the receiver in the Terra Scorcher as well, so I don't have to use the Carson TX when I run it alone as an adult ;)

• Like 1