ChrisRx718

Tamiya Fluorescent PS Paint

I've not used these paints for the last 5 years, there always used to be issues with them 'flaking'. For colour fluorescence they couldn't be topped - they require sunglasses to view when applied correctly B)

Do these issues still persist? Is there a workaround? (ie. PS Flat clear first, almost like a flexible primer? - it'll still be gloss on the outside)

Have they improved the recipe? I know you need to back with white. I'll probably go white > silver > black as I don't like being able to see the white in the wheel arches. Any issues with doing that specifically with the fluorescent paint?

I've purchased a bodyshell which I really don't want to screw up. I've bought one can of PS-27, but thinking I might buy another because yellows tend to have less coverage than darker colours - does this also apply to the fluorescents?

Any tips most appreciated. It's far too cold to paint just now, but I can at least get prepared!

tamiya-ps27-fluorescent-yellow2016.jpg

• Like 2

I've used fluorescent orange with success but that was backed with red. I did find the paint consistency is thinner so had a run.

Yellow paint is a shocker for covering 🙄 used two cans on a Daytona Thunder but i never backed that with anything other than more yellow.

What body are you doing? Or is it a secret 🤫

• Like 1

The most important part is to wash the body out with some strong dish soap (I use Dawn in the USA). For this yellow I go 2-3 light coats and then back with 1 coat of their normal yellow and then white and then black if desired. The lighter coats are best to let the layers cure and stick better. If you go too heavy they can flake and run very easily!

• Like 2

I’m so glad this thread came up as I’ve just started with PS27 on my Fat Fox for the first time. Fortunately not doing large areas just the trailer turntable and a couple of ascents here and there.

Wiped areas to be sprayed with a clean soft cloth moistened with Isopropyl alcohol incase there’s any grubby fingers marks from masking. 

Shaken the can for a while & heated more then just warmed it by sitting it in just boiled water. This really helps to achieve a better consistent mist spray.

One thing is  for sure they weren’t lying about ‘fluorescent’ ….

IMG_6469.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, promodvette said:

The most important part is to wash the body out with some strong dish soap (I use Dawn in the USA). For this yellow I go 2-3 light coats and then back with 1 coat of their normal yellow and then white and then black if desired. The lighter coats are best to let the layers cure and stick better. If you go too heavy they can flake and run very easily!

I second that.

On my Manta Ray I did two-three light layers of fluorescent yellow and backed it with white. One mistake I did was spraying the metallic blue after instead of before. It showed through a couple pinholes in the white here and there, and wasn't easy to fix. Always spray darker colors first!

The yellow itself is fantastic, its brightness has no match.

Looking good there @Re-Bugged 😉

• Thanks 1

Cheers @Ferruz 👍🏻 it is funny old stuff, not dissimilar to transparent paints.
What found with the transparent paints though is using PS48 Semi Gloss Anodized Aluminium makes a big difference if applied before a backing colour. There was a Custom Colour thread or something on here somewhere and from memory a Porsche was sprayed with Transparent Yellow, PS48 then fluorescent green, which gave it a gorgeous yellow/green iridescent look.

Anyway I do enjoy experimenting with Tamiya PS  paints, a full rack of them would keep me entertained for days 😄

I tried 4 different backing colours on PS27 just to see how they went, as mentioned above backed with PS1 White gives you pretty much exactly the colour of the lid..

IMG_6472.jpeg

(Silver was sprayed last and has backed the White without appearing to affect it from before the Silver was applied)

• Like 4

I wish Id seen how good that yellow looks as PS-27 backed PS-6 looks earlier before going straight in with just plain yellow on some of my other kits

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

I wish Id seen how good that yellow looks as PS-27 backed PS-6 looks earlier before going straight in with just plain yellow on some of my other kits

Agreed 

• Like 1

@Re-Bugged That's my Porsche! I think I've got one car of nine in almost box art colour, and that lunchbox, got chrome yellow!

Looking forward to seeing this one finished, I really enjoy the shells you can get from mixing up some of the translucent paints!

We did no model building last year as we built a 1:1 campervan, currently got my eye on TT02 McLaren Senna, a little bit of hopping up and a candy lime green shell as I've seen a very nice 1:1 one I'd like to copy.

Good luck with it!

• Thanks 1

Good to know it was your Porsche @Nwc100 👍🏻 I’ve been searching for that thread but I can’t for the life of me remember what is was called?

The Fat Fox will be virtually box art as I’m into Trucks. Turns out it’s quite a complex job anyway 😳 so it’s no less work than trying something fancy.

Have fun with the Campervan bud.