Hi!

The more I get old, the more I want solid axles. Is that a common illness here?

Just bought this one at affordable price/good shape, with mixed feelings about the look I admit, but hey they're quite rare to pop up, so why not? Some re-setting to my radio gear, and some adjustment of the multiple steering rods later, it runs well, with previously installed twin servos & 2 Sport-Tuned. Wired the rear steering on a 3-positions switch (full-lock left, neutral, full-lock right).

spacer.png

I may change wheels & redo the bodyshell in the future (don't know for what yet), but after a few runs, must say it's a capable & pleasant truck to drive. And you eventually could start to get used to the weird 1/8th scale body...(?) Oh and I'll sure swap those servos behind axles, so they can be seen (the splendid axles :) )

Thanks for reading, any thoughts or tips about TXT-2 welcome, I'm still in the discovery phase ^_^

• Like 6

Hey nothing bad about solid axles. I even liked them when I was much younger. Solid axles started my RC modelling career. And for many occasions they're still the first choice.

I never had an "Agrios" (I found the name and the tires weird). Back in the past I started with a Jugg 2 and later a TXT-1. I guess I have to look up the deeper differences between the TXT-1 and TXT-2. But tranny and axles are the same, so no surprises. A good sturdy basis to have fun with. When I bought my TXT-1 I swapped the original body for a Proline CJ-8:

P1030221.thumb.JPG.00a6d38b873fcf822d4a74d281d9eea8.JPG

That was before I shortened the body posts.

P1020635.thumb.JPG.0d550cb26a9e035538118c85584d259d.JPG

That was twenty years ago. And I still got the car.

Cheers

Martin

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nice TXT-2! 

I have one to build and it will be mostly stock.

I'm not keen on the name or decals but I've always liked the truck.

• Like 1

Thank you guys for the hints & kind words! :)

That Jeep body looks so good, color-matching the chassis! And gee, those wheels are mean!

21 hours ago, urban warrior said:

[...] I guess I have to look up the deeper differences between the TXT-1 and TXT-2. But tranny and axles are the same, so no surprises. A good sturdy basis to have fun with. [...]:

Took a picture of the chassis, all assembled, and compared it to the TXT-1 pictures on the internet. Clearly they are "brothers", the big difference is the cantilevers on the 1st iteration. Look-wise, the TXT-2 side panels may be more realistic (too bad 'cause too dark, you hardly see some cool details when driving), but TXT-1 ones are so beautiful, fully machined. Same wheelbase, same body-posts & bumpers, same transmission & steering systems.

spacer.png

8 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Nice TXT-2!

I have one to build and it will be mostly stock.

I'm not keen on the name or decals but I've always liked the truck.

Wish you good fun building it, I should enjoy "re-building" mine one of these days :)

A bit like you, my biggest prob' with the truck is the paint scheme/colors. By the way thanks, reading you about decals gave me an idea: I may try to re-make it look like a baja truck, like a Tamiya 58136 Prerunner :)

Also took a picture side by side with a Stadium Blitzer body, for the sake of documentation:

spacer.png

If the Blitzer is1/10 scale, the Agrios isn't! :huh:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mouc-RC said:

That Jeep body looks so good, color-matching the chassis! And gee, those wheels are mean!

Thank you! The wheels had been machined from a CAD-file I created back at that time. Produced by a little manufacturer that is out of business for a long time by now. It was called "RC Teufel" and located in Berlin. Normally they produced much smaller rims (1.9") but we had some good contact. Tires are IMEX Jumbo Swamp Dawgs.

Cheers

Martin

• Like 1

I don’t mind admitting that I like the TXT-2.

Not yet owned one, but it looks like it would be fun to own and run. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind either!

Technically, it's a good car. The more I drive it, the more I like it :)
It's not too fast, even with Sport Tuned motors, but suspension is soft (especially with 4 springs instead of 8), efficient and robust, so is the chassis, and transmission works well (at least with that mild kind of power). Seems that driveshafts are weak, but I think under high LiPo/brushless power only?
Another (good?) point: it's simple minded. Find a large place to run, go full throttle, turn right, left, climb a hill/dirt pile, it's straight forward & goes everywhere! My 9 years old loves this! Quite unlike driving others Tamiya RC "Model" cars, when you have to take care about not hurting anything you spent hours to build :)

I seem to start liking the look, after a few runs with it, and may have an explanation for the weird proportions:
- wheels are overall smaller than usual "Monster wheels" (aka Clod/Jugg/TXT-1 wheels, despite rims are diameter 3,15 inches, taller than 2,6 Clod ones)
- bodyshell is longer and wider than Clod's one, admittedly everyone's reference for Monster Trucks. Its size is like the one of an 1/8th scale "Short-Course"
Would you agree that altogether it creates kind of a "non-Monster Truckesque" 1/8th scale basher?

We Tamiya old nuts may not be used to this... ^_^

The TXT-2 is a weird one for sure, but it does work pretty well.  Probably the best working out of the box monster truck Tamiya has made, despite its odd, non-scale looks as you've mentioned.  It's a shame really, because the top loader axles, driveline, and chassis are pretty scale (although from completely different eras of monster truck evolution), but the the wheels/tires, and body make it look odd.  The body really isn't so bad when trimmed up a bit and 2.6 tires are used - it was supposed to mimic Bigfoot 18 and its close. 

TXTs can be made to look pretty scale.  Biggest issue is getting the body lower and getting proper wheels/tires on it.  Here are a couple of mine that I modified for racing and they have a good stance to them.  Both are stock chassis, stock axles, but pretty much everything else was modified. 

Second picture shows a stock height TXT on the left and the modified, lower truck on the right.  Quite a drastic difference.

5.JPG

IMG_1922.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic work on your TXT-2s, I must admit that before pulling the trigger on mine, I took several looks at yours, and other nice ones here on TamiyaClub. Inextinguishable source of inspiration this forum is :)

Fully agreed on the fact that the truck is rather excellent out of the box. Clearly an very positive evolution of the Jugg 2 which I prefer (because of the leaf springs & wheels), but which is also harder/tricky to drive!!
Also agreed that usually Tamiya has a big problem putting bodies so high on their Monster Trucks... Starting as soon as 1985 with the Blackfoot by the way! Or maybe the Bruiser (looks better with the body 10mm lower IMHO)

You know what? I wouldn't mind if you'd share the drawings of your Behind-the-Axles servo mounts ;) . Just like you, I think it's a pity not being able to see them with the original steering systems!

44 minutes ago, Mouc-RC said:

Fantastic work on your TXT-2s, I must admit that before pulling the trigger on mine, I took several looks at yours, and other nice ones here on TamiyaClub. Inextinguishable source of inspiration this forum is :)

Fully agreed on the fact that the truck is rather excellent out of the box. Clearly an very positive evolution of the Jugg 2 which I prefer (because of the leaf springs & wheels), but which is also harder/tricky to drive!!
Also agreed that usually Tamiya has a big problem putting bodies so high on their Monster Trucks... Starting as soon as 1985 with the Blackfoot by the way! Or maybe the Bruiser (looks better with the body 10mm lower IMHO)

You know what? I wouldn't mind if you'd share the drawings of your Behind-the-Axles servo mounts ;) . Just like you, I think it's a pity not being able to see them with the original steering systems!

Yes, its a crime they hid those beautiful axles behind those huge ugly bumpers :)   My mounts are cut from steel plate, did them by hand so I don't have any drawings unfortunately.  They are similar to the Xtreme carbon mounts but I changed them just a bit so I could run a drag link setup rather than the equal length tie rod setup that doesn't work so well.  You can just run the Xtreme carbon mounts if you want to make it easy on yourself.

• Thanks 1

Made some laser-cut body/shocks mounts at work this morning.

VORj8KOl.jpg

Can't wait to try to lower that bodyshell a bit ^_^

• Like 6

Thanks! :) (please let me know if you want the .dxf file)

Sorry for dirty tires & body (this truck receives much love those days), but I'm quite happy with the new stance:

ITptL4Th.jpg

Still "non-scale" in many ways, and maybe a bit low... I'll see during the next run. Tires do rub a little at this height. I've provisioned some holes 5mm higher if needed!
New stuffs for my parts drawers:
- battery cover
- bumpers (hadn't realized before I removed them that they spoil the whole thing a bit)
- old body/shocks mounts and some JIS hardware.

• Like 4

Oh yea, much better!  I'd put some Clod-sized tires on there and trim the wheel wells of the body out a bit, will look even better. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks! I'll put 2.6 wheels & tires as soon as RC money allows ;)

By the way, which ones in the JConcepts range would fit nice according to you, 87lc2 ? Something "classic", because in the future I'd like to use a body you could have seen on a monster truck in the eighties. Or late eighties/early nineties :)

Did a 5 minutes run (in the rain :| ) today, the car looks more & more like a short course on steroids! Not bad. I think the body could look really better in lighter colors, white or light blue etc... This black on the hood "blurs" everything.

Thanks for any tips!

The JC Firestorms & Gold Years are more retro style tires.  I prefer the Gold Years, my favorite tire for the retro trucks.  Here's my Jugg Bigfoot 4 and SMT10 Bigfoot 8 on Gold Years. 

9.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi!

Miracle, we had two undiscontinued hours of no-rain yesterday (but still no light to make a proper video :mellow:)
Made one anyway, to share how the new body position with you :)

A very pleasant truck to drive, and now I almost like the overall look :wub:

Now working on Behind The Axle Servo Mounts. I'll try to cut this out of steel tomorrow for a first trial.

mdmw5SXl.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for posting the video, looks great with the body lower.  Servo mount looks very nice too, let us know how it works. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind words & likes! :)

I've been a bit pessimistic about the dimensions of the BTA mounting plate 1st version and possible collisions with the axle.

wKkea2nl.jpg QhOoetSl.jpg

So I prepared a 2nd version with less "space" everywhere it was possible :)

xxSJacuh.jpg

• Like 3

Back with the 2nd version:

spacer.png

Much closer to the axle to gain some rigidity/compactness. Made servo mounts out of 25mm long shaft keys. Happy so far, should work with the original hardware which is cool :)

• Like 2

Very nice work, that mount should work perfectly!

• Like 1

Thanks! But hey, here am I with a 3rd version... Some wrenching after I posted the pics I realized that:
- if you want the lower arms of the 4-links suspension system to not touch the main steering rod, you have to put that steering rod upside the knuckles arms
- doing that the main steering rod touches the BTA mounting plate's bottom. Had to add some clearance circles to avoid that.
- finally realized that I would need some parts to attach the 4-links arms... Because I don't want to kill those original bumper plates only to keep the useful sections. Joy of modifying :)

j17CCUxl.jpg

bHfjWgol.jpg

WV8UvXUl.jpg

XAXe4C1l.jpg

d1YuHlbl.jpg

Oiyv11ll.jpg

But now it works fine, no more collision at all :) . As all parts are steel for now, the complete axle is super heavy! I may try to re-make them in aluminum one day.
Next step: disassemble everything to paint parts and do the rear axle ^_^

Thanks for reading!

• Like 4

2Uxmsrkl.jpg

Work In Progress on the "Squash Van Extreme Truck Two". That's the problem with Tamiya parts. You just can't stop tinkering :ph34r:

• Like 5