Tamiyastef

My road to the Tamico Offroad Cup 2024

I had a brief "racing" period but that was over three and a half decades ago. (Yes indeed in the late eighties) Brief mostly because the funds wouldn't allow to stay even remotely competitive what made the whole endeavour mostly frustrating.

I get easily bored by just driving my cars around "free", I much more enjoy driving around a set course or tackling obstacles with my crawlers while walking/hiking. I truly enjoy the racing by post (the one good thing we got out of the pandemic IMO) but I would enjoy that more if I could do this together with fellow enthusiasts. The competition aspect isn't all that important to me. It's more about learning from and sharing with the other drivers and having fun doing what I like to do. Meet likeminded people, you now the ones that truly understand the passion for this hobby.

So the Tamico off road cup came along at exactly the right time for me. Rules are simple, as budget friendly as you want to keep it and the whole idea is focussing on the fun factor. Exactly what I was looking for. 

They run different classes. Fighter class, 2wd retro, 4wd retro, "trucks" and wheelie class. I plan to run in three: the fighter, 2 and 4wd retro class. For this I have the following lined up:

20240121_182416.jpeg

20240121_212541.jpeg

and

20240121_210407.jpeg

This topic will eventually be used to report about the "racing" (first weekend will be 27/28 april at EDC Kinzigtal) but before that about preparing (rebuilding the DT-02 and building the Terra Scorcher and Wild One BHM) the cars for the different events.

To start with a dissapointment for all Street Rover fans, the body has long been sold to another TC member and the car now looks like this

20240121_182935.jpeg

More will follow as soon as I start the (re)building. 

Hopefully this will be as much fun as I think it will be and it would be great to meet some German TC members in person.

• Like 12

This looks like a lot of fun.  I'll follow along with your prep and racing progress :) 

• Like 1

I'm very much looking forward to read about your preparatene and reports from these events. I would like to have participated at the events in the north, but it's sadly not gonna happen. I cannot justify the costs and time spent for only me to have fun. It would have been nice to meet likeminded and speak the language again for more than the usual phrases about which ramp to back onto and that you'll gonna need to put chains on to get anywhere ;).

• Like 1

First event at EDC Kinzigtal in Gengenbach 27 and 28 April 2024. It's a whopping 524km drive :blink: but the opening event of the 2024 season and from what I can see on Google Maps (not the best picture) seems a pretty interesting track. It's a dirt (clay?) track with al the jumps covered with carpet. There's an interesting 180° turn going up.

20240126_232611.md.jpeg

Will have to check if I can find a camping spot nearby, would really love to attend as it's the first of the season.

In 2023 there were 5 classes: 2WD retro, 4WD retro, fighter (DT02-DT03), truck (blackfoots, blitzers and similar) and wheelie. (WW2, 2wd comical, lunchbox and similar)

For 2024 they added BBX class! I won't get a BBX but already know how much I will enjoy the sight of several BBX's on a track :D 

• Like 3

Hi @Tamiyastef,

I´m also checking to visit a Tamico offroad event this year, and Kinzigtal would be my favorite! It is a super cool dirt track with some astro turf sections but not too silly jumps, much like the 80´s and 90`s tracks from my youth. You can see some pics on their homepage, here´s a pic:

Neue-Strecke-2023

They even have a glass bridge, very cool. I´ve to search some footage of last year, it looked so nice. But also more than 300km´s from my home, altough I´m located in south of Germany.

Kind regards,

Matthias

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ruebiracer said:

They even have a glass bridge

Google maps said 2024 so I was afraid they changed the track since last year but more likely Google maps is still showing the old layout of the track. Or that's what I'm hoping for as the new layout seems even better. 

As seen in the videos it really has the old school racing fun factor/vibe, possibly meeting fellow TC'res is an added bonus 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruebiracer said:

more than 300km

Is there another TOC event closer to your home?

On 1/28/2024 at 11:19 PM, Tamiyastef said:

Is there another TOC event closer to your home?

Unfortunately not!:blink: I´ve also Augsburg and Laupheim with around 300km´s to go. Augsburg has a total new track acc. to the web, but all Astro turf.

I really would like to drive in Kinzigtal with real dirt, sand. Slippery, when dry.:lol: I´m still crying that 2 years ago Tamiya Europe closed down the Tamiya Germany raceway in Sonneberg, which was also a real 90´s off road track. I could drive there with some friends in 2019 on both tracks, and it was a great time driving my restored Vanquish there with my nephew. Will never forget this day.:rolleyes:

• Like 2

On 1/28/2024 at 9:54 PM, ruebiracer said:

Hi @Tamiyastef,

I´m also checking to visit a Tamico offroad event this year, and Kinzigtal would be my favorite! It is a super cool dirt track with some astro turf sections but not too silly jumps, much like the 80´s and 90`s tracks from my youth. You can see some pics on their homepage, here´s a pic:

Neue-Strecke-2023

They even have a glass bridge, very cool. I´ve to search some footage of last year, it looked so nice. But also more than 300km´s from my home, altough I´m located in south of Germany.

Kind regards,

Matthias

This is my home track, let me know if you need any infos :)

• Like 2

@bsy2010 Fantastic! Will you also be there for the Tamico off road cup? Already looking forward to meet you in person.

Yes I've got "some" questions.

Do I need to register before the actual weekend to make sure I can participate?

Do I need a transponder for this race? If yes can I rent that at the track? If so how big is the transponder thing and can it be attached with double sided sticky tape or do I need a transponder stay of some sorts?

Is the track in or near a low emission zone? 

Is there a camping or camper space nearby?

Closer to the event you may expect more specific questions about suspension setup, pinion sizes and tire choices :D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

Will you also be there for the Tamico off road cup? Already looking forward to meet you in person

Yeah, of course, I will be there. Racing Retro 4WD with my VQS and the Wheelie class :)

4 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

Do I need to register before the actual weekend to make sure I can participate?

Actually, I'm currently preparing the 'save the date" Facebook post for the event. I'll include the registration link, but it won't be active before March 1st (I think...). It would be great to register as early as possible, to give us a good idea how many people will attend, as we need to arrange catering, drinks, etc...

6 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

Do I need a transponder for this race? If yes can I rent that at the track? If so how big is the transponder thing and can it be attached with double sided sticky tape or do I need a transponder stay of some sorts?

Yes, you do! Unfortunately, you need a Mylaps RC4 or RC4 Hybrid for our timing system and they don't come cheap. We don't rent them out, but maybe the guys from Tamico will bring a few extra. If everything fails, I have one spare, if you bring enough Belgium beer ;) And they are tiny, some velcro is good enough and you can switch them easily from car to car.

11 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

Is the track in or near a low emission zone? 

No, but 2 EV charging stations are a 5 minute walk away

11 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

Is there a camping or camper space nearby?

You can set up your camper/tent right next to the track if you let us know early enough. Electricity is available, showers as well

17 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

suspension setup, pinion sizes and tire choices

soft for better grip / pinion as big as possible / any Tamiya stock tire will do, except the Dual Block 

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, bsy2010 said:

I will be there

Fabulous!

7 minutes ago, bsy2010 said:

Facebook

Oops, I'm not on facebook

8 minutes ago, bsy2010 said:

Belgium beer

Any preference? Duvel? Chimay? Mort Subite?

10 minutes ago, bsy2010 said:

EV charging stations

I was asking about the low emission zone because my camper is older than EURO norms (but not old enough to be an oldtimer) and not allowed in low emission zones.

12 minutes ago, bsy2010 said:

You can set up your camper/tent right next to the track if you let us know early enough. Electricity is available, showers as well

This sounds absolutely awesome

13 minutes ago, bsy2010 said:

soft for better grip / pinion as big as possible / any Tamiya stock tire will do, except the Dual Block 

Noted :)

• Like 1

On 1/31/2024 at 2:25 PM, Tamiyastef said:

Oops, I'm not on facebook

I'll post it here as well :)

On 1/31/2024 at 2:25 PM, Tamiyastef said:

Any preference? Duvel? Chimay? Mort Subite?

Anything is fine :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bsy2010 said:

I'll post it here as well

Thank you!

1 hour ago, bsy2010 said:

Anything is fine

I'll get a nice selection 😁

Thought it was time to get started on building the Terra Scorcher. If it's not build it cannot be raced. :D

Except for my nephews Avante back in 1989/90 this is my first 4WD Tamiya buggy build new out of a box.

20240205_214814.jpeg

Skipped step 1 and started of with step 2 by laying out all the parts from "Bag A" and the necessary A and E sprues.

20240205_230519.jpeg

20240205_230654.jpeg

The result of step2:

20240206_144405.jpeg

the other side of the rear gearbox is nicely stamped "4WD"

20240206_144520.md.jpeg

Step 3:

20240206_144906.jpeg

Not only does Tamiya provide you with ball bearings in this kit they actually give you one extra IMO as the counter gear isn't turning on the BA18 shaft I used one of these :D

20240206_144932.jpeg

20240206_145005.jpeg

I haven't used one of these in a build since 1984 when I build my Grasshopper and had no money left to buy ball bearings from the start.

Step 4 is putting the two halves together.

20240206_145533.jpeg

I'm using this alu xtra speed part and not the plastic B8 part from the kit

20240206_145551.jpeg

I also put a grease seal on the gearbox before closing it up

20240206_150712.jpeg

20240206_151238.jpeg

Step 5 and 6 starts with making the propeller joints

20240206_151303.jpeg

I won't be using the BA17 shafts or B3 parts from the kit but have these to replace those

20240206_151925.md.jpeg  20240206_151939.md.jpeg

This makes the propeller joint look like this

20240206_151911.jpeg

Again with a grease seal in the hope to keep the dirt out

20240206_152737.jpeg

20240206_153403.jpeg

Step 7 starts on the front gearbox

20240206_153731.jpeg

They ask to attach the propeller joint to the gearbox first. This is where I found out I should have made 2 of these propeller joints before :rolleyes: 

20240206_153817.md.jpeg 20240206_154403.md.jpeg

Joint again with a grease seal (not shown)

Step 8 and 9 finishes the front gearbox

20240206_154429.jpeg

And this where I found out I should have made 2 of these differential gears before :rolleyes:

Used a grease seal again

20240206_155435.jpeg

The 2 gearboxes complete!

20240206_160057.jpeg

Step 10 and 11 is all about the motor

20240206_161854.jpeg

As it is for the Tamico Offroad Cup I use the Torque Tuned motor and not the cheezy aluminium pinion in the kit but a steel 17T pinion

20240206_160828.jpeg

Motor mount and pinion mounted using threadlock (I usually put a drop on one of the empty plastic bags and just put the end of the screw trough that drop of threadlock before screwing them in place, works great IMO)

20240206_161521.jpeg

And the motor mounted

20240206_161838.jpeg

I know it's silly but this gearbox with the motor mounted just looks ace IMO

This is the end of "Bag A" and will be it for the moment.

"Bag B" is for the next time :D 

• Like 3

Great spot on the extra bearing, I never noticed that when building three of those gearboxes over the last couple of years!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are you going with suspension shafts or screwpins? If you are going with the first you don't want to close up the casings for the propeller drive yet. Ask me how I know :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andreas W said:

suspension shafts or screwpins

I'll be using the shafts that came with the xtra speed aluminium part. They have e-clips on both side while suspension shafts have a nut on one side I think? So maybe I'm lucky :D

• Like 1

@Twinfan I read something about a bearing being used as a spacer more than as a bearing in the gearbox of these buggies, probably on this forum somewhere. So I was paying extra attention when the manual asked for a bearing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

I'll be using the shafts that came with the xtra speed aluminium part. They have e-clips on both side while suspension shafts have a nut on one side I think? So maybe I'm lucky :D

I am thinking about if you mount shafts on the inner mounts on the upper arms. Then you'll have to mount an e-clip inside the mentioned gearcase. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andreas W said:

the upper arms

On the Terra Scorcher these are turnbuckles so mounted on a ball connector and not on a shaft. Thanks for the warning, I'll be paying extra attention when I get to the part of the build that involves the suspension arms. 

1 hour ago, Tamiyastef said:

On the Terra Scorcher these are turnbuckles so mounted on a ball connector and not on a shaft. Thanks for the warning, I'll be paying extra attention when I get to the part of the build that involves the suspension arms. 

But inside the inner connectors there are shafts or screwpins (step 21). No ball there. If you want to have suspension shafts the E-clip is inside the gear housing for the prop shaft on the left side and has to be mounted before you close up the gear housing. 

If you are gonna use the screwpins (preheated) what I am saying is not relevant. I don't race mine and have no barrierer to crash into,  but for race purposes maybe It's preferable to have the screwpins there to be able to swap connectors/upper arms when something breaks in a crash.

Hmmm. After this loud thinking maybe the screwpins are best suited for your use after all. 

20240207_085213.jpg

20240207_085402.jpg

• Thanks 1

@Andreas W Ok, now I see. I assumed turnbuckles were always mounted on ball connectors, wrong!

37 minutes ago, Andreas W said:

screwpins (preheated)

Do you put actual heat to the screwpins before assembly or do you heat (hold in water close to its boiling point) the plastic part to soften it a bit before screwing the pin in?