Sign in to follow this  
Dakratfink

I finally got a Clod .

I was searching local classified ads today . 
Came across an ad for a built, never run Super Clodbuster. 
The guy was interested in swapping me for a well used SMT10. Only needed a transmitter To be a runner. 
the guy I got it from got it from someone else in a different trade and was looking to unload the quad. He didn’t know if it had bearing in it ( I peaked under the axel spacers , it appears to be built with bushings. 

Never been run. 
now I’m looking for inspiration for a livery. 
Then I guess over the winter, tear it down, install bushings and go from there.

IMG_6578.jpeg

• Like 11

Not officially a “build” thread yet. But I already have a few thoughts and initial impressions. 
1) Part of me wanted get bearings installed and possibly paint the body before I messed up the plain body . 
I was careful and didn’t roll over though so I harm done.

I will say that while I will probably upgrade to servo on axel, it’s not terrible with the stock steering setup. Bearings are an absolute must . 
I don’t want to run it too much until I get that done. 
That said , I HAD to get it out and bomb in the snow a bit.

IMG_6579.jpeg

IMG_6582.jpeg

IMG_6580.jpeg

• Like 9

I have a few ideas for paint job . 
1. Classic hot rod flame job 

2. Box art ( or a different color scheme with box art decals ) 

3. Orange with reproduction OG Clodbuster decals.

I also have a McAllister ‘55 Chevy I am considering mounting ( Maybe an Avenger replica , or something similar) and a McAllister Ford pickup with racer back ( possibly a Bigfoot replica or an original period looking Ford truck idea ) 

• Like 1

I can't pass by a Clodbuster thread without,......

Some say that the Clodbuster is so powerful that when you push the throttle it doesn't travel forwards, it actually pushes the world backwards, all we know is that it's called the Clodbuster.

Edit to suggest CyberClod with mini Sw-01 or the little tricycle thing in the back instead of a quad.?

Like this but better.

xIf5WVP.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

Edit to suggest CyberClod with mini Sw-01 or the little tricycle thing in the back instead of a quad.?

I own both a mini Lunchbox and that tricycle thingy  :) 

• Like 1

Great blank canvas, I've seen a couple of the orange OG decal ones in the gallery, probably my favourite old school livery for a Clod!  When (not if :D) I get one, it will most likely be a Bigfoot 8 tribute though, saw it for real as a kid and is why I love Monster Trucks.  (Unless I can get my hands on a Jugg!)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gogsyfinnie said:

When (not if :D) I get one, it will most likely be a Bigfoot 8 tribute though, saw it for real as a kid and is why I love Monster Trucks.  (Unless I can get my hands on a Jugg!)

I  have the below McAllister Ford body . With the right stripes and decals it could be a decent BF8  

IMG_6584.jpeg

• Like 1

Well, 

I’ve run a battery pack or a day through every day this past week. So much for “I’m not driving it much until I get ball bearings “ lol.

I can tolerate the stock steering for now, but when I do Do want to upgrade , do I go with axel mount front only , with rear lock out , or go for both ? 
I’ve seen one or two tutorials on beefing up the center mount set up . Has anyone had any luck with that ? Something about larger diameter horn in the center servo , beefier servo, tighten the servo saver etc. 

Re chassis/ suspension mods . 
shave out and reinforce the stock tub for more travel ? Try to scratch build  something like the early ESP versions? 
I know if o ever want to race “retro clod “ class I have to keep the stock ladder bars and arms ( no 4 link conversions allowed ) . 
This thing really is a blank canvas.

I’d  just like to see what aftermarket or DIY mods the clod experts in this community recommend. 

Im looking forward to hearing some opinions 

Monster.Uk do a lot of great upgrades 😀

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dakratfink said:

I can tolerate the stock steering for now, but when I do Do want to upgrade , do I go with axel mount front only , with rear lock out , or go for both ? 

I would go for both. It increase the turning circle considerably. 

17 hours ago, Dakratfink said:

I’ve seen one or two tutorials on beefing up the center mount set up . Has anyone had any luck with that ?

Tried that with no luck. So I moved on to the servo on axle mod and was happy with it. 

Meanwhile sold the truck.

18 hours ago, Dakratfink said:

[...] Re chassis/ suspension mods . 

shave out and reinforce the stock tub for more travel ? [...]

Hi,

Never had a Clod chassis ever, but I'm longing for a BullHead re-(re)-release... But how long is the travel of each wheel, on a stock Clod? What does limit the travel, by the way? On later chassis, like "Juggernaut" and "TXT-2", travel is approximately the stroke of the shocks:

- 30mm for TXT-2 (I guess it's even more on TXT-1, due to cantilevers)
- 21 mm for the Jugg (shock rod is longer (29mm out) but there's an internal stop limiting the stroke)

On the Jugg I must say I'd like a bit more (but it will impact "realism" in bounciness...), but honestly 21mm is cool already :)

Some say,

that the suspension stroke on a Clodbuster is bigger than the distance from Earth to the Moon, and that it doesn't need suspension because instead of jumping up, it actually pushes the world down, all we know is that it's called the Clodbuster.

• Haha 5

On 2/4/2024 at 7:17 PM, Dakratfink said:

I’ve seen one or two tutorials on beefing up the center mount set up . Has anyone had any luck with that ? Something about larger diameter horn in the center servo , beefier servo, tighten the servo saver etc. 

Re chassis/ suspension mods . 
shave out and reinforce the stock tub for more travel ? Try to scratch build  something like the early ESP versions? 
I know if o ever want to race “retro clod “ class I have to keep the stock ladder bars and arms ( no 4 link conversions allowed ) . 
This thing really is a blank canvas.

I’d  just like to see what aftermarket or DIY mods the clod experts in this community recommend.

The challenge with the Clodbuster is that it is an OLD design.  This is NOT bad, per say, but it tends to lead to one of two routes of progression with the trucks:

1. Keep it mainly stock, and appreciate it for what it is.
  2. Come to terms with the fact that the only "Clod" parts on your Clodbuster will be parts of the axle assembles.

Both options have merit, but the second one can be a long bumpy expensive route, where you might end up being better served by an SMT10 or LMT.

As for steering..... the stock (or modified) truck can benefit greatly from having the steering limiters cut off from the knuckles.  This will gain you some more throw.  If you want to keep the stock style steering, you can improve it a fair bit by dropping in a good servo (200oz/in+), cranking down the servo saver mechanisms, and replacing all the stock steering linkages with beefier ones (like THESE).  You will still have a bit of a rear steer bias, but in general things will be much better.

Now that being said, an axle mount setup will be way better still, and will allow for rear lockout (bleh), or independent control (or mixing) of the rear steering.  This can be combined with universals/CVD's for even better steering throw... but now you start down the path of "Progression Route 2" noted above.  ;)

For suspension, I would give some (real) thought to what your long term goals are going to be.  I would avoid cutting up the OEM chassis, as if you're heading down that path, you are destined to have 60-80% of a clod sitting in your parts bucket soon... and that intact chassis will go along way when you inevitably decide to "use up those parts" to built a stock Clod (thereby resetting the scenario over again...).  If you want to retro race... start saving, then look at a JConcepts regulator chassis.  Otherwise, build something or buy something that fits the roll (ESP style, etc...). 

If you want your truck to empty your pockets even faster, look at a "racier" chassis, and swap the dream of retro racing with the reality that your expensive and fragile truck will likely not keep up with the before mentioned LMT's.

The Clod very much is a blank canvas, as you mentioned... have fun with it!

• Like 2

Congrats on the Clod. They are awesome in all ways. I still remeber when I bought my first one in 1988. The tires were huge!

Cory

I got my first couple of coats on the clod.

Krylon Fusion Popsicle Orange .

There are a few small flaws. But imagine more rounds of wet sand , re coat repeat will only start down the rabbit hole of chasing flaws. I feel like maybe I should put the chrome and windows back on and call it good enough for 80’s style monster truckin’

Edit: Bonus points if anyone can identify the model of the  machine in the background 

IMG_6694.jpeg

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Dakratfink said:

I got my first couple of coats on the clod.

Krylon Fusion Popsicle Orange .

There are a few small flaws. But imagine more rounds of wet sand , re coat repeat will only start down the rabbit hole of chasing flaws. I feel like maybe I should put the chrome and windows back on and call it good enough for 80’s style monster truckin’

Edit: Bonus points if anyone can identify the model of the  machine in the background 

IMG_6694.jpeg

Umm....a singer sewing machine?

6 minutes ago, Nikko85 said:

Umm....a singer sewing machine?

Yes , a Singer , specifically a model 66. 
It was rescued from a junkyard in North Dakota. I had to soak the internals in kerosene overnight before I could make it move and start cleaning and restoring.  Online databases tell me it’s from 1927 

• Like 4

Love the colour!

Have you decided what route to go with the truck yet?  I've got two Clods, one has a custom TVP chassis and it's generally unreliable and breaks a lot and I struggle to find a setup that actually works, the other is 99% stock and I just love it.  The only non-standard parts are metal anti-rotation brackets (the stock plastic ones break easily), bearings and steel pinions.  I'll probably fit axle-mounted servos when I next get around to working on it, and a slight chassis extension to fit the non-standard body, but that will be it - that bouncy driving experience is all part of Clod ownership.  As far as I'm concerned, if it can drive around my garden, go over ramps and bounce over old touring car shells then it's good enough for me.

My enthusiasm for my custom TVP Clod has drastically waned since I got an LMT - if you want a solid axle truck that performs well and doesn't break, there's no substitute.  Trying to get a Clod to the same level is a money-pit.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mad Ax said:

Love the colour!

Have you decided what route to go with the truck yet?

I’ll most likely start with bearings and anti rotation brackets . Perhaps after that axle mounted servos and eventually replace the Tamiya esc with a HW880. Beyond that I think I’d also prefer to keep it a clod and enjoy the experience. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dakratfink said:

I’ll most likely start with bearings and anti rotation brackets . Perhaps after that axle mounted servos and eventually replace the Tamiya esc with a HW880. Beyond that I think I’d also prefer to keep it a clod and enjoy the experience. 

What type of ESC has been included in your Clod kit? My one sported a THW880 Dual RTR, which should pretty much resemble a HW880, only with shorter wiring (maybe the point where they saved 0.5ct).

4 hours ago, urban warrior said:

What type of ESC has been included in your Clod kit? My one sported a THW880 Dual RTR, which should pretty much resemble a HW880, only with shorter wiring (maybe the point where they saved 0.5ct).

Mine is the TEU 106BK I’m not sure if it’s 3S capable 

13 hours ago, Dakratfink said:

Yes , a Singer , specifically a model 66.

My mum had a similar, that someone brought home from England - a bench model (handcranked). She used it too. I remember that I thought it was a really cool thing.

And back to the topic at hand - I love the colour of your Clod. Might get a Clod body for the CR-01 eventually. If I can get it back to running condition, that is ... :D

4 hours ago, urban warrior said:

Mine is the TEU 106BK I’m not sure if it’s 3S capable 

24 minutes ago, JimBear said:

- I love the colour of your Clod. Might get a Clod body for the CR-01 eventually. If I can get it back to running condition, that is ... :D

I think this color would look good with re-re decals but I can’t seem to find a set for less than $25USD

• Like 1