Sign in to follow this  
davidwj95

Top Force vs Manta ray vs Terra Scorcher

I was considering a Top Force for my next build but having seen that the Manta ray will be reissued I'm having second thoughts. I like the FRP chassis on the Top force but does it actually perform much better than the Manta ray? Also which is more durable? I'm trying to work out if it's worth the extra £100 to me.

I already own a terra scorcher and don't really want another buggy that's the same to drive, is there much difference in how they perform?  

I'd love to hear of any thoughts or experiences of these buggies.

Im in the same boat. I got really excited seeing the Manta Ray been ReRe’d, but, admittedly me being a bit new to this, after doing some research I think if you got one, youd regret not getting a Top Force, but then when the Top Force Evo is available for sub £300 (or it was?), where does it end?

The way I see it, the Manta Ray is a less-good Top Force which is a less-good Evo. (The Terra Conqueror sits inbetween the Manta Ray and the Top Force and is basically a Top Force with a tub chassis as far as I can tell).

The best deals on the cars that I know of are the Evo at around £300 from UK shops, the Top Force at around £180 (from Tamico with postage and taxes, it's £250 in the UK) and the Manta Ray at £145 from either a UK shop or Tamico.

I have an Evo to build as a shelf queen but I'm going to get a Top Force from Tamico as a runner. I'll be adding bearings, turnbuckles and proper CVA shock inners so it'll be around £210ish when done and still a good saving over the Evo. Hi-Caps are a bit posh on a fun runner for me and losing rear universals is no biggie.

They're my thoughts anyway, other opinions are available, YMMV etc etc.

• Like 1

It’s a no brainer, Top Force.   

You can always put a Manta Ray shell on the Top Force, Top Force has front and rear ball diffs, hardened prop shaft, cv joints at all corners, lightened gear shafts etc etc etc

The Top Force only has CVJs on the front, the rear are dog bones.

The Evo has CVJs all round  :)

Would the upgrades on the top force make a noticeable difference?  I'm no racer but it will be used at a track.

I won't go for the Evo, as nice as it is, I don't want to be spending that much money.

48 minutes ago, davidwj95 said:

Would the upgrades on the top force make a noticeable difference?  I'm no racer but it will be used at a track.

I'm guessing the Top Force's f/r ball diffs would make the most noticeable difference to the average driver over the Manta Ray. The flexibility differences between plastic tub, FRP decks and carbon decks may alter the character of the buggy to drivers sensitive to such things but that doesn't mean more expensive = better. Sometimes a little "give" in the chassis makes for an easier driving car.

When it comes down to it, I often wonder just how noticeable all these add-ons are to the casual driver. Despite all the extras on the Evo, is it really that different than a standard Top Force? I'm willing to bet the better driver would be the winner between to two. In the end, despite how cool all those extra goodies are, I would posit that practice practice practice is where the real edge is at. 

46 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

I'm guessing the Top Force's f/r ball diffs would make the most noticeable difference to the average driver over the Manta Ray. The flexibility differences between plastic tub, FRP decks and carbon decks may alter the character of the buggy to drivers sensitive to such things but that doesn't mean more expensive = better. Sometimes a little "give" in the chassis makes for an easier driving car.

When it comes down to it, I often wonder just how noticeable all these add-ons are to the casual driver. Despite all the extras on the Evo, is it really that different than a standard Top Force? I'm willing to bet the better driver would be the winner between to two. In the end, despite how cool all those extra goodies are, I would posit that practice practice practice is where the real edge is at. 

Back in the day, a full set of bearings would have been the night and day difference to the average driver I suspect - more speed and longer run times.  Hi-Caps compared to the fixed piston CVAs probably next.  Hence my comments above re. the Top Force runner I'm looking to build this year.

As you say though, more seat time will be a major factor too.  Just as in 1:1 cars...

1 hour ago, davidwj95 said:

I won't go for the Evo, as nice as it is, I don't want to be spending that much money.

For the extra £40 (if you buy from Tamico) I think it is for the FRP chassis, double ball diffs and front universals.  You'll struggle to get all those parts for £40 as Hop-Ups and they will help the car perform.

The extra £120+ for the Evo over the Top Force is where it gets a little harder to justify although Hi-Caps and carbon fibre are B)

Top Force definitely looks best value out of those. Other thing to figure in is wheels and tyres. Manta Ray has old 2" wheels same width front and rear which isn't great for balance of handling. Top Force has bigger wheels with narrower fronts so you won't have to change these. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the replies, it definitely looks like the top force is the best option.  I haven't bought from Tamico for a few years, do they sort out the tax at time of purchase or will I get hit with that when it gets over to the UK? 

12 minutes ago, davidwj95 said:

Thanks for all of the replies, it definitely looks like the top force is the best option.  I haven't bought from Tamico for a few years, do they sort out the tax at time of purchase or will I get hit with that when it gets over to the UK? 

You'll pay it one way or another. Tamico will be registered to collect UK VAT, but the Top Force kit is over the OSS threshold so you might be in the "pay when it arrives" side. Basically if Tamico don't charge you VAT, you'll have to pay when it arrives, and vice versa.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

You'll pay it one way or another. Tamico will be registered to collect UK VAT, but the Top Force kit is over the OSS threshold so you might be in the "pay when it arrives" side. Basically if Tamico don't charge you VAT, you'll have to pay when it arrives, and vice versa.

Nope, wrong I'm afraid.  Tamico is not registered to collect UK VAT which is why their order limit to the UK is €160.

For Tamico orders you're looking at the kit, plus €25 shipping and any foreign currency transaction fee your bank charges you.  Once ParcelForce get it, and before they deliver it to you, you'll have to pay 20% VAT on the cost of the kit plus shipping and an additional handling fee.  So currently, for the Top Force you're looking at:

€168.06 + €24 = €192.06 = £164.08 plus 20% VAT = £196.90 + £12 handling = £208.90

[apologies, my earlier £180 estimate was wrong for a single kit order...]

• Like 1