CoolHands

Storage categories / boxes

I’m a bit lost, I’ve got variously sized ‘Really Useful’ storage boxes as well as a few shoes boxes etc. problem is I have off road wheels and tyres, touring car wheels and tyres, used and unused. Electrical parts such as ESCs servos etc; electrical parts such as wiring, connectors, and so on. General spares like pinions. Many model-specific spares 

it’s a mess. I can’t rationalise the parts eg I might put lipo charger in a box with the many varied connectors but should the lipos be in that same box, or should all lipos be in their own box. I have too many dilemmas 

:wacko:

• Like 3

Storage is always a tough one.  Here in the states I have recently found some really nice waterproof storage boxes (my basement flooded due to a failed sump soon after we moved into this house so I am trying to be mindful of that experience).  The best thing is that the two smaller sizes have the same footprint  so I have some big ones intermixed with the smaller ones but they stack perfectly.  I have these filled with smaller parts now (by brand but one for crawler parts) and intend on subdividing them further to be model specific using sandwich bags.  BUT I still don’t have any room to display my cars and that is what currently keeps me from building anything.

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. ;)

20240203_071313.jpeg

Yeah, it's a struggle, and I don't have a good answer. All of this stuff needs to be sorted through and brought into some semblance of order, and I'm not sure what that looks like yet. But hey, if you figure something out, please let me know.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

You have my sympathy. I need to organise this lot when it gets a new home in March.

I'm not looking forward to sorting the boxes though it would be nice to have some cars out on display (if they were finished!).

1000010596.jpeg

• Like 2

Hmm seems better organised than mine. I have enough boxes but it’s the categorisation of what should go where is harder than you think. Eg say you have a storage box with spare motors in - do you keep all the empty motor boxes (if they came in them like brushless often do) in there too? Or should empty boxes go to separate place

Empty motor (and other small) boxes go in the empty kit boxes :D

• Like 1

Storage boxes? I built a new shed to house all my model stuff! 😁

tIXCfre.jpeg

• Like 4

If you're referring to the labels on some of my boxes, they're hopelessly out of date, if not purely fictional. I really need to go through everything and re-sort it.

And no, I don't keep the boxes that anything comes in. Once it leaves the packaging, the packaging goes in the trash/recycling.

I've recently done away with most of by big plastic storage boxes because they were taking up too much space.  They are a great solution, especially if you can keep all car-specific spares together with the car in the box, and especially if you go racing or to events at short notice - just grab the right box and you know you're done.  But what about non-car specific spares?  How many cars do I own that use TL-01 parts, for example?  M-03, TL-01, FF-02, Wild Dagger, WR-02...  And I have several of many of them.  It's a dilemma.

However - there is an alternative!  It requires discipline, and also some kind of cataloguing system, but if you can make it work, it solves your woes: bin numbers.

It works like this:

Don't bother categorising your parts.  It's a fools game.  It's like organising your MP3 collection by genre.  You'd have to put Sash into Dance Music\House\PumpingHouse\CommercialPumpingHouse (and not BalearicPumpingHouse as incorrectly suggested by Kevin and Perry - not sure how many people got that joke even when the film was released, not sure how many people have the foggiest idea what I'm talking about now ;) ) - but where do you put Orbital?  They could fit in a dozen different folders, and you'd never find them when you wanted them.

I digress.  Instead, number all your big boxes.  However you like.  Randomly works well.

Then throw a part into whatever box it will fit in, and write the number in your catalogue.

Then, when you need a part, just go to the catalogue to find out where it is.

Now you can tag your parts.  For example, a TL-01 front upright can be tagged TL-01, M-03, M-04, WR-01, WR-02, WT-01, G6-01, and whatever else it fits on.  You can even do this with an Excel spreadsheet, provided you take care to update it every time you store, move, or use a part.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Mad Ax said:

It requires discipline

Crazy talk. I'm out.

😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Hmmm I will shortly be using rfid labels lol

I made a decent stab at it this afternoon and will be making some labels for the main boxes as above eg for off road / on road tyres etc.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, CoolHands said:

Hmmm I will shortly be using rfid labels lol

I wonder...  They are probably a lot cheaper than we think, and I'm sure a reader can be incorporated into an Arduino project for very little money...

• Like 2

Storage/Organizing is a pain.

Everytime I think I have a system that works some parts or an extra car crosses my path and hits the limits of my "system".

I have a toolbox I take with me in the car when I take an RC car along.

20240204_131101.md.jpeg

I also take my "screwsbox" with me.

20240204_132032.md.jpeg

20240204_125854.md.jpeg

It stores my take along "toolbox" and the Tamiya tool set

20240204_130001.md.jpeg

but also a lot of different sized boxes with parts and screws:

20240204_130049.md.jpeg

20240204_130117.md.jpeg

20240204_130140.md.jpeg

20240204_130232.md.jpeg

20240204_130301.md.jpeg

The plastic bags with paperclips hold different sizes of e-clips

20240204_130315.md.jpeg

20240204_130325.md.jpeg

There's a seperate box with springs and shock oils:

20240204_130513.md.jpeg

Another one with just pinions:

20240204_125754.md.jpeg

And a bigger one that allways stays home and houses plastic and other spare parts 

20240204_130412.md.jpeg

It has still some space left and also holds the pinions that wouldn't fit in my pinions box anymore...

20240204_130427.md.jpeg

My "electric" box also allways stays home:

20240204_130545.md.jpeg

20240204_130555.md.jpeg

and holds connectors, heat shrinks, extra wire and apparently some motor plates (it was my "motorsbox" before)

I have a bigger storage box now for motors (and brushless combo's, ESC's and program cards)

20240204_125703.md.jpeg

And another one for servo's and (body)parts

20240204_125627.md.jpeg

Two other sized boxes are holding spare tires and wheels

20240204_125516.md.jpeg

This how one part is stacked:

20240204_131131.jpeg

The topbox is the one with the springs and oils, underneath is my StreetRover box that's holding my (now) Sand Viper.

The brown cardboard box is holding a RC car body for a future project, it sit on top of the XV-01 box (holding the Martini livery decals, leftovers from the build and the manual) 

Next to the XV-01 box two boxes with spare Transmitters and receivers:

20240204_130904.md.jpeg 20240204_130713.md.jpeg

Under the XV-01 box is the Sand Rover 2011 box holding exactly that (a build and for sale Sand Rover), under the transmitters a NIB "to be build" Dirtmaster. More to the right on the same shelf are my chargers.

The shelf underneath houses my two CMX's from MST. Leftovers from the build, manuals, and light buckets for the Defender are in the boxes under the cars. On the right some LED sets and Nimh batteries.

20240204_131139.jpeg

Stampede 4x4 VXL now turned into my sons interpretation of "The Skull" Monster truck. The small blue crate was used to transport my M-05 and now just holds the Postal Racing Green PickUp truck body, The Black crate holds and is used to transport my speedrun (for now) rere Grasshopper. The big red crate underneath holds my transmitters.

The bottombox in front is an empty one of one of the Stampede's, the box on top is from the XB CC-01 Unimog (modified and for sale), the bag on top of that is a Tamiya bag holding my unfinished TRX 4 Sport Crawler project.

20240204_131146.jpeg

On the wall my (now geared for speedruns) 4X4 Stampede. On top the Tire and Wheels boxes, the shelf underneath holds the boxes from my M-05 and M-08, holding leftovers from the builds, the manuals, the hopup manuals, etc. The box from the TRX4Sport project holding extra parts and the manual(s) and to the right my Kyosho Legendary's, NIB "to be build". On the bottom a Fiat 509 body building project that's "on hold" for a few years now...

20240204_131211.jpeg

On top cardboard boxes holding spares and option parts for the Optima Mid and turbo Optima Builds and a TA03F (second hand) project. More to the right a NIB "to be build" TA03RS next to the Aqroshot (now for sale Racing Fighter) that both sit on top of a NIB Blizer Beetle Chrome Metallic Special. (Also for sale)

The shelf underneath holds a to be build 3Racing M4, the wooden crate I used BITD to transport my Grasshopper and now has spares for the rebuild in it for that same Grasshopper. The Grasshopper box is the original 1984 one but Damaged (tape) and written on while being used to move house years ago. It has 1/72 scale soldiers and vehicles in it. More to the right boxes with RC car bodies and a to be build Carten M210R plus.

20240204_131218.md.jpeg

My original Grasshopper sitting on small boxes with more spares and extra's for its rebuild.

20240204_131153.jpeg

Another rack holds the box of my rere Grasshopper (manual, leftovers from the build etc...), Terra Scorcher and BHM Wild One (both to be build). The blue crate on top holds my spraycans, behind is a box with interiors and driver figures. The big box in the back holds packing materials for cars I sell.

This all is in my basement that I use as my RC workspace. As you can see there isn't really a masterplan of sorts, more a wild stack of boxes with a hint of a system :D

My M-05 and M-08 that are build now sit on a shelf in my workroom upstairs.

20240204_153118.jpeg

I'm not sure where to store my other cars when they're all build. Should ditch some boxes of build cars but not sure I'll be able to...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I actually do similar to how @Tamiyastef is doing for small parts. For spare parts and stuff, i keep them in ziploc bags

ultimate way to organize things is to reduce things.. but that is not easy..

At least i try to assess spare parts every now and then purge duplicate parts /parts i will never need (ones that are included in the kit which never needed).

Ultimate goal is to keep all the cars and parts/tools in a closet. 

• Like 1