Sign in to follow this  
markbt73

"Ruining" a Parma Good Times kit

So a year or two ago, I found this Parma Good Times car at an antique mall, and picked it up for (IIRC) $85. It came in a Hemi Coupe box, but it obviously isn't one; I vaguely remember this "Hemi sedan" kit, but I can't find much info about Parma kits at all anymore. I know they're rare, and I know people sometimes ask stupid prices for them on eBay, but I don't know how often they actually sell for that.

20240204_072608.jpeg

It's definitely "of an era," and that era is that horrible billet-and-monochrome trend of the '80s/90s. I've never liked that era, as much as I love hot rods. So I figured I could do one of three things with this model:

1. Try to sell it for a profit, and buy... what? There actually isn't much out there right now that I want, and I'm not actually short on funds right now anyway. Plus, I'd have to deal with the hassle of selling things, which I hate doing.

2. Put it back in the box and back up on the shelf. Again, then what? Just let it rot? Not my style.

3. Take it apart, and re-make it into something I actually think is cool. This is the route I've chosen. But what about those possibly high sale prices? I don't care. This one cost me $85, so that's what it is worth to me. Besides, people like me need to "slaughter a sacred cow" now and again, just to keep the pearl-clutching collectors honest.

So let's dig in. This thing has obviously been run, and run quite a lot. The steering is sloppy, the tires are worn, and the diff is crunchy. Someone had some fun with it, and good for them!

20240204_072632.jpeg

After removing the engine (held in by a single wood screw from underneath) and that beat-up one-piece tray with the fenders attached, we're left with just about the simplest possible running RC chassis ever made.

20240204_084951.jpeg

Now, full disclosure: I have a second Parma Hemi Coupe 2 kit that I bought new back in the day. I completely trashed the body ages ago, and kind of messed up the engine trying to experiment with it. So techinically I can get two hot rods out of all this, if I 3D print some engine parts, and make a second body. I have some ideas for that which I'll get to later.

Here's what I'm thinking for the sedan body, mocked up very roughly on the second Parma chassis.

20240204_084947.jpeg

This whole thing started when I took some scrap white vinyl and stuck it on some Hummer tires, to see if I could create wide whitewalls. I liked them so much I want to base a build around them - and what better build than a traditional hot rod? I'll need to more carefully re-do the whitewalls, but these are proof of concept. Those front wheels are from a Kyosho Icarus. I'm not sure if they're staying yet.

This chassis has no rear axle; I stole it for another pan car ages ago. But I do have all those Grasshopper/Hornet gearboxes sitting around now, and one of those will probably find its way under here.

More updates as I get further along...

• Like 8

Messing around with parts, and I think I have a plan for the Hemi engine. It's very much a race engine, no street-driven car would ever use something like that. And looking at the chassis, it reminded me of an early '50s-60s dragster (or "digger," they were sometimes called). And who better to pilot such a dangerous vehicle than our favorite daredevil?

20240211_074124.jpeg

I don't know exactly what I'll do for a body; most of these didn't have much. But there are some really excellent looking '60s ones. Tons of photos for reference here... http://georgeklass.net/dragsters.html

This won't be quite scale either; I'm imagining a bit of "Weird-Ohs" style thrown in too. A little cartoonish. Which makes Willy an even better choice for a driver.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 10:50 AM, markbt73 said:

Messing around with parts, and I think I have a plan for the Hemi engine. It's very much a race engine, no street-driven car would ever use something like that. And looking at the chassis, it reminded me of an early '50s-60s dragster (or "digger," they were sometimes called). And who better to pilot such a dangerous vehicle than our favorite daredevil?

20240211_074124.jpeg

I don't know exactly what I'll do for a body; most of these didn't have much. But there are some really excellent looking '60s ones. Tons of photos for reference here... http://georgeklass.net/dragsters.html

This won't be quite scale either; I'm imagining a bit of "Weird-Ohs" style thrown in too. A little cartoonish. Which makes Willy an even better choice for a driver.

Excellent proportions, that digger style is exactly what I thought when I saw the pic! Some of the Altered style thrown in too for a quirky hot rod :D

Possibly have a look at McAllister bodies, I believe they still make some in hot rod style (not sure of scale though)

OK, more experimentation, and some decisions have ben made. I'm going for something like this, from the George Klass site:

1_2621_orig.jpeg

Mocked upon the Parma chassis. Engine needs to sit lower so I can drop everything else down:

20240218_083907.jpeg

But I'm really happy with the overall look and feel of this. I guess it would be a C/Altered in the old NHRA rules, so I'll label it as such. And every good dragster needs a name; I think I'll call this one "Willy Makeit."

20240218_083915.jpeg

• Like 3