ThunderDragonCy

Interesting new buggy layout

Spotted this today. Agama 10th scale race buggy prototype

IMG_1356-display.jpg

427935249_426270773069657_64023119901994

Laydown shocks are both ends that have q bellcrank at one end a la Boomerang and Thundershot, but fixed at the other. 5 gear transmission i am guessing so three small idlers pass under the shock where one large kne would be on a conventional laydown 3 gear.

I know it's not tamiya, but there is something Tamiya about this, no?

• Like 13

Is there any proof this sort of thing would be a better racer than say an AE B7? Or is it unique for unique’s sake?

That said, its effortlessly cool!

I think it's better for aero to re-locate the rear shocks away from the rear wing.     The mighty Frog had the right idea, so I guess this could be taking some inspiration from Tamiya.

Dunno about racing (guess lower CoG as well?) but in pure resilience to crashes terms it would be nice to get rid of the towers. I had previously been mulling over whether I could achieve similar at the front, although I hadn't thought about it at the back. I think it looks fab. 

Now, what's the deal with that steering?

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

Now, what's the deal with that steering?

Right? Looks cool. Does it travel linearly rather than an arc? Like a 1:1 steering rack. I wonder how friction is reduced on the slider.

What's this?  Lay down shocks?? 

Oh no.  They'll be hearing from Traxxas' patent attorneys.

• Haha 1

google search tenth tech predator.  they did 4wd buggies and on road cars.  they went good and fast bit were fearsomly fragile.  I've still got an on road one on the shelf

• Like 1

Good Morning!

I've recently stumbled over two pictures of, what I think, is a new Schumacher Buggy. Even with laid down shocks. But the rear ones longitudinal and the front ones diagonal:

IMG-20240207-WA0003.thumb.jpg.9de56fa2246a77e2942cf51a0afebeec.jpg

Making a real flat silhouette.

schumacher_02.thumb.jpg.1df3809f277485021b310c8b82b4ef91.jpg

Cheers

Martin

• Like 5

There was a buggy with a similar layout in the early 00's - ttech predator.

electrics02.jpg

• Like 2

Certainly a very interesting design, and does have something of the Predator about it.  Interesting that periodically someone comes along with a laydown shock option but it never seems to stick.  In theory it should work just as well as a standup (F1 cars have laydown shocks, albeit with interconnected springs) but I wonder if drivers have trouble relearning setup characteristics?

I would assume there are big aero benefits as well as less crash damage.

Steering looks like a slide rack, which should give more consistency across the range but could have issues with binding if dirt gets in or the chassis gets tweaked.  I wonder if they've made it reliable and robust, or if it's another gimmick?  I'd be very interested to see how this fares against the competition in a world-level race.

Interesting to see Schumacher are going laydown too - is this the start of a new trend..?

• Like 1

Until the new trend becomes the old trend and the old trend becomes the new trend <repeat>

Which is why i cant be bothered to get a haircut, the jesus look was pretty big last month

• Haha 4

I hadn't spotted the steering, but it apowars to be a linear rail, which means the sliding element should have some roller bearings. That would make it incredibly smooth and should be less likely to jam. 

I guess although laydown shocks have been tried before there were always other advantages to be had. Now that development is getting harder to find gains elsewhere you look at it again. I suspect the biggest thibg to persuade racers about will be the 5 gear transmission. Although as a fan of pointlessly complicated gearboxes i love it!

• Like 1

Very ,Tenth Technology about it, and kinda cool. 👍

Schumacher played about with the laydown shocks on the Top Cat in the late 80's, but reverted back to stand up (?) for the Cougar.

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

That would make it incredibly smooth and should be less likely to jam.

Until you get any debris in the linear bearing, then it'll stick / get jerky.

2 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

it apowars to be a linear rail, which means the sliding element should have some roller bearings. That would make it incredibly smooth and should be less likely to jam.

I fitted a slide rack to my D4-CS drift car, but I didn't get on with it.  The rack itself was a machined piece of CF that slid between 4 standard bearings.  It had the following problems:

1) any carpet floof that got stuck to the rack could roll between rack and bearing, and make it less smooth

2) for some bizarre reason, it wasn't possible to adjust the bearings with the rack in situ, so it was necessary to remove the rack, adjust the bearings, then reassemble to see if the tension was correct - a pain of epic proportions since a lot of parts had to come off to get to the adjusters but a lot had to go back on before the rack could be tested

While problem 2) is hopefully specific to the D4's odd design, I can see problem 1) being a lot worse on an outdoor buggy unless they are using something like a linear bearing with a very good seal (even then, a dirty rack sliding in and out of the seal is going to put a lot more wear on the seal than, say, a rotating axle puts on a rotary bearing)

• Like 2

@Mad Ax Interesting. I guess that bit might be a solution in search of a problem, but a lot of the tech seems to have trickled down from their 1/8th scale stuff. 

• Like 1

It is nice to see something different. AE, Losi, xray and the new mugen buggy are all basically identical, its hard to know who copied who with the parts layout, but they are all annoyingly similar. 

The suspension layout seems to be similar to their 1/8 4wd offering.

22 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Spotted this today. Agama 10th scale race buggy prototype

Laydown shocks are both ends that have q bellcrank at one end a la Boomerang and Thundershot, but fixed at the other. 5 gear transmission i am guessing so three small idlers pass under the shock where one large kne would be on a conventional laydown 3 gear.

I know it's not tamiya, but there is something Tamiya about this, no?

I like that... :)

The shock concept is the same as what they are doing on their 1/8 4wd buggy, but somehow it looks better and more refined in this iteration.

• Like 1