Jump to content
Exvee-Ohwan

TT-02 budget race setup tips wanted

Recommended Posts

I've got a TT-02 Type-SR currently held up in customs, which will be getting built up as my main car with a few other nice bits.  However in the meantime I managed to pick up a cheap stock TT-02 kit that I wanted to run as a 'B-car' to serve as a backup for me and my son.

I'm keen to spend as close to zero on it as possible, but still have it functional for racing.  So far it's unbuilt (well, I've done the prop shaft and diffs this evening).

Anyone got any no/low cost tweaks to make it race worthy?

On my list so far:

  • Bearings (this was an outlay I was willing to make)
  • Steel pinion from the spares box
  • AW grease on the friction shocks for some pseudo-damping
  • 500k in the front diff
  • Collection of shims to dial out some of the play
  • Superglue the stock servo saver / direct mount the servo horn and delete the saver
  • Some part worn Contact 30 tires
  • Delete part D15 to increase steering angle

I've heard mention of flipping the arms, but other than for adjusting wheelbase I'm not sure if there are any other benefits?  

Also seen some people using a secondary brace on the steering to reduce some of the slop which are about £5 on eBay.

Any other build secrets that can improve it?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can make adjustable turnbuckles for steering rods and link between servo and steering bridge. It is cheap upgrade.

I am not sure, if removing D15 part is good idea. Experience shows, that this part is there for some reason. I believe without this part, you will easily loose dog bones.

At least in TT-02B, it was good idea to use some tape on diff covers where they stick to bearings. It removes slope. Chassis is the same, but diff covers not. Maybe fitting in TT-02 is better, but to be honest, I do not believe.

Have you thought about Topic in "The Builds"? I have the same plan as you, to build almost stock version and have fun. Check my Topic if you are interested.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Exvee-Ohwan said:

AW grease on the friction shocks for some pseudo-damping

There isn't a whole lot of contact area on the pogo stick to make anything more than a dust-attracting mess I am afraid.

1 hour ago, Exvee-Ohwan said:

500k in the front diff

That is guaranteed to leak! You can try diff putty if you think you are diffing out.

1 hour ago, Exvee-Ohwan said:

Delete part D15 to increase steering angle

You really don't need any more steering angle than the stock setup; even with the D15 part installed, at full lock you are just skidding tires.

1 hour ago, Exvee-Ohwan said:

I've heard mention of flipping the arms, but other than for adjusting wheelbase I'm not sure if there are any other benefits?  

That was probably about flipping the front upper arms only, which changes caster. You can experiment and see what you like best.

The biggest thing that every TT-02 needs is the steering arms that have a tremendous amount of play and require upgrading. I have the Tamiya hop-up but people seem to have a very good success with the Yeah Racing alternative.

By the way I like you forum name! You could actually use the XV-01 which will run circles around a standard TT-02 all day long ;)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

There isn't a whole lot of contact area on the pogo stick to make anything more than a dust-attracting mess I am afraid.

Yes I think you are right looking at it, it will prob just create a troublesome mess.  

31 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

 

2 hours ago, Exvee-Ohwan said:

500k in the front diff

That is guaranteed to leak! You can try diff putty if you think you are diffing out.

You sure?  Been running it in my son's car and no leaks so far that I can see.  Has really transformed his Type-S, one of the best mods I've made.

33 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:
2 hours ago, Exvee-Ohwan said:

Delete part D15 to increase steering angle

You really don't need any more steering angle than the stock setup; even with the D15 part installed, at full lock you are just skidding tires.

Yeah I think I will put this part back in, as @skom25 mentions above it's prob not worth the risk of losing a dog-bone for a bit more steering throw.  Can't win a race you don't finish etc.

38 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

That was probably about flipping the front upper arms only, which changes caster. You can experiment and see what you like best.

The biggest thing that every TT-02 needs is the steering arms that have a tremendous amount of play and require upgrading. I have the Tamiya hop-up but people seem to have a very good success with the Yeah Racing alternative.

That is probably out of budget for this build (at least to begin with), it will just step on the toes of my upcoming Type-SR.  Also, in what might seem like a masochistic move I'm actually keen to see just how bad the stock steering is since it's so often mentioned.  

49 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

By the way I like you forum name! You could actually use the XV-01 which will run circles around a standard TT-02 all day long ;)

Thanks!  Alas the XV-01 doesn't qualify for any of the groups in the clubs near me.  Which is a massive shame as I'd love to race some rally events.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If youre racing indoors get universals for both TT02s, the front dogbones pop out on every impact, with or without part D15.

Gluing the servo saver (or hacking up a horn) is a good idea, it's a brushed on-road car, you're not likely to damage your servo.

I wouldn't bother with better steering arms (not worth the money), try the low friction step screws and some low friction suspension balls first.

A big problem that I have with the TT02s steering is that the kit arms use self-tapping screws, while all of the hop-ups use machine screws. So even if you upgrade you still have slop from cross-threading.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

If youre racing indoors get universals for both TT02s, the front dogbones pop out on every impact, with or without part D15.

My incoming (hopefully soon) Type-SR comes with double-cardans in the kit, I may well upgrade my son's car with them as well.  Again, out of the budget for this car so it will have to manage with the dog-bones for now.  

You are right though, even my son's Type-S regularly pops the dog-bone out of the axle cup on any impact, though on that car it usually pops back in again without intervention as it continues to spin and relocates itself back into the axle slots.  The metal on metal slippage is slowly grinding up the cups though so I expect in time there will be a terminal failure.

11 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

try the low friction step screws and some low friction suspension balls first.

Cheers, good tip.  I've ordered some this morning as they only came to £12 for both.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Exvee-Ohwan said:

My incoming (hopefully soon) Type-SR comes with double-cardans in the kit, I may well upgrade my son's car with them as well. .

Just universals will be good enough to keep it on the track.

Low friction suspension balls are less likely to pop out in major accidents, and hold up longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot about one thing: no matter which shocks you will use, be sure that you replace that stupid Step Screws with Ball Connectors.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

A big problem that I have with the TT02s steering is that the kit arms use self-tapping screws, while all of the hop-ups use machine screws. So even if you upgrade you still have slop from cross-threading

It is good idea, to just build kit with machine screws. I have just ordered set of stainless Hex screws ( with many spares) for around 6 Euros with delivery.

There is totally no reason to buy that fancy, ready sets for kit, when you can buy them separately.

Plastic in TT-02 in most places is good enough, to use machine screws.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

By the way I like you forum name! 

Me too!

Totally off topic, but reminds me of the subtitles in Star Wars movies shown in Finnish television when I was a kid: C-3P0 was written as See-Threepio and R2-D2 was Artoo-Detoo :)

Back to on-topic, please compare the driving characteristics of both the basic Teetee-Ohtoo and the SR variant when you have built and driven both of those, I'm really interested to hear how much of a real difference there is.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Verskis said:

Back to on-topic, please compare the driving characteristics of both the basic Teetee-Ohtoo and the SR variant when you have built and driven both of those, I'm really interested to hear how much of a real difference there is.  

Might be a little while until the SR gets on the road as I need some parts from Plaza Japan to finish it, but once it's done I'll certainly make some comparison notes for those interested.  Between this stock car, my new SR and my son's Type-S we've got the low, mid and high end versions covered so should be interesting to drive them all back to back.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2024 at 1:47 PM, Pylon80 said:

By the way I like you forum name! You could actually use the XV-01 which will run circles around a standard TT-02 all day long ;)

Teetee ohwan. Had to say it.

or teeeteee ohwan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...