Smokescreen38

Lunchbox body - almost fits M08. Any suggestions?

I suppose with a little bit of wheel-arch carving, this could work...but is there another Tamiya chassis that will work with a Lunchbox hardbody?    

IMG_3989.jpg

IMG_3990.jpg

4 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

There was an m06 midnight pumpkin low rider kit. That might have a body mount solution 

Thanks! I do have an M06 kicking around as well…

I see kit 58594 is discontinued…but maybe the necessary parts trees are out there.

13 hours ago, Smokescreen38 said:

I suppose with a little bit of wheel-arch carving, this could work...but is there another Tamiya chassis that will work with a Lunchbox hardbody?    

IMG_3989.jpg

IMG_3990.jpg

Not your question, but the M08 has spacers on leading edge of the rear arms. You can get 2mm wheelbase reduction by swapping those to the rear of the arms. In my 288 GTO build thread I take it down to under 205mm.

You can also pull the wheels inward by swapping the hexes or outer wheel bearings to narrower ones.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, naturbo2000 said:

Not your question, but the M08 has spacers on leading edge of the rear arms. You can get 2mm wheelbase reduction by swapping those to the rear of the arms. In my 288 GTO build thread I take it down to under 205mm.

You can also pull the wheels inward by swapping the hexes or outer wheel bearings to narrower ones.

Thanks!! I’ll take a look for these spacers and give that a try! 

Do you have a thread for your Ferrari build? It sounds awesome! 

• Like 1

I like where this is going, looks awesome!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Smokescreen38 said:

Thanks!! I’ll take a look for these spacers and give that a try! 

Do you have a thread for your Ferrari build? It sounds awesome! 

Spacers are D1 in step 3 of the manual (see below). If you move then to be adjacent to D4, you shorten the wheelbase 2mm. Might be enough.

My build is here.

Screenshot_20240213_142831_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Edited by naturbo2000
Extra description.
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Smokescreen38 said:

As others have mentioned, you can make the LB body work on most of the "M-Series" chassis with a bit of creative body post work (long posts up and out the top being the easiest).  The bigger issue is that the stance ends up being pretty off, as the width of the LunchBox shell is so narrow compared to the chassis.  Back when you could get a lexan version (Parma?), I used to run one on my M03R for indoor racing.  It took some trimming of the front body to get full turning (which the indoor club didn't like), but I did make it work.  I pretty quickly got tired of the "skateboard look", and opted to just run other shells after that.

• Like 1

As far as I can see in the Showrooms section on the main site, the Lunchbox seems to have been done with M03 and M05 chassis.

Here is a video of an M05 in action:

... but I guess there are two main ways - either modifying the chassis or the body (as in the example above).

There is a bunch of photos (all text in german, though) over here: https://www.funktionsmodellbau.ch/content/series/dodge-van-auf-tamiya-basis/

• Thanks 1

MF01x can work as that can be all wheelbases (esp with a 3D printer so you can print your own custom sizes). A little arm surgery and shims can also help get them into the perfect place. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 11:12 PM, Smokescreen38 said:

is there another Tamiya chassis that will work with a Lunchbox hardbody

LB's WB is 203mm. It is possible to build a MF-01X to 201mm if it helps? You will need to modify the drive shaft to keep it 4WD or just run it RWD.

• Like 1

RWD M-05? These older M-chassis have split arms that can be shimmed to move the axle a few milimeters.

• Like 1