Pablo68

Clear body with decals.

This is just something I remember seeing wayyyyy back in the day. To the point that a vintage Ultima I picked up a while back was like this. I havent painted it because I can't think of a good way of protecting the decals while I spray paint it.

Did you guys ever do this with your cars?

Do you like it? Hate it? Have no idea what I'm on about? And do people still do it?

as a teenager, my first car, the Marui Galaxy, I didn't paint the wing and then when I got a Fox, I didn't paint that either. But I think in both those cases, I was too keen to get the cars on the road. These days I'd paint I think.

• Like 2

I really do not see reason to not paint body. It does not have to be fancy, but clear is no go for me.

If we are talking about wings, I heard that many people do not paint them, because it is first thing which will be scratched/ broken during crash. Sometimes clear wing just looks better.

• Like 2

My old roommate didnt paint the body on his childhood Frog (he gave it to me).  I think it looks really cool.

• Like 1

I think if done right, the effect can be pretty striking.  That is providing that you want to show off what is underneath.  An Avante with polished CF edges, nice electronics, and neat wiring would probably look pretty rad on a display shelf.  A plasticy TT-02B with amazon electronics would probably look dumb.  As would something largely enclosed like a Hotshot chassis.

Think of it like translucent clothing... the success of the effect starts to become less about the clothing itself, and more about the individual wearing it. 

It sounds like a great idea... but sometimes a bit of paint to leave some of the "chassis" to the imagination ends up being the more attractive choice.  ;)

• Like 1

Reminds me of the 90s where we "mod" our phones with clear cases.

tgzd8DS.jpg

Or one phone I used to have wayyy back...

5gHc082.jpg

• Like 1

I actually saw a Euro Truck at the races last week with a clear body and decals.  Since I don't see it often anymore I thought it was kind of neat, definitely different.  I'd sill prefer to paint, but it can definitely look cool and different if done well.

• Like 2

As a kiddo I would look at the Kyosho buggies in the window of the local toys& hobbies store and for some reason there were displayed with a clear body on; I do not remember it they had decals though.

I do agree with others here that if the chassis underneath is really slick it would totally make sense to leave the body clear!

As a side note if you ever wanted to paint it, I am pretty sure that blue making tape wouldn't harm the decals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Behold! All Metal Frog...

it does need some decals.

I love the chrome chassis, but shouldn't this have a Sassy Chassis???  :P

Terry

ETA, this is going to inspire me to finish my Iron Frog project!

• Like 2

One story used to hear from real older timers ( even before my time ) 

Back in NiCd days, in 1/12 on road stick classes. They ran 4cells and took extreme measures to save weight in that class.

They had to run painted bodies but would paint reallly thin coats and go to the extreme of leaving stripes blank instead of painting them . They would appear black or dark in contrast to the brightly painted bodies and save a couple of grams. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Behold! All Metal Frog...

265A0D38-3FCC-4938-8A17-25A18C7BE3AD.jpg

it does need some decals.

I was just going to mention the frog and then I saw your post.

Frogs look good with an unpainted body.  

• Like 1

On 2/14/2024 at 9:27 AM, Pizza Frog said:

I was just going to mention the frog and then I saw your post.

Frogs look good with an unpainted body.  

Funny you should say that about the Frog. The first clear body on a 1/10 RC I ever saw was a Frog in my regular hobby Store.

• Like 1