Hi guys,

I've always loved the Wild Willy, and knew there was a 4x4 version somewhere. A little research led me to the GF-01.

Long story short, I have one on order, and also a WR-02, lol!. Anyway, I'd like recommendations on what motor/ speed controllers are good, and won't blow the gearbox apart.

I have a Hobbywing EZrun 10 esc, with a 3220kv motor, I'm thinking of using, with a 2s battery. What pinion would you recommend?

Also, the GF-01 I ordered, is the yellow dump truck version, and was wondering if the chassis parts will take Rit dye. I've seen the the wheels probably won't... Is the chassis the same?

Thanks.

• Like 2

I have gf-01 and tried 3300kv and went back to super stock tz with the lowest pinion i can put. I can still pop a wheelie on demand while motor stays reasonably warm.

Very good choice, the Heavy Dump Truck. Got mine since 2018, it's a great little "basher" :)

The only thing a bit weak for me is the upper shock mounts. They start to crack; my only advice would be to thread the holes with an M3 tap and use long machine screws to attach dampers.
GF-01 is clearly a "4x4 WR-02", with twice the pinions to provide front wheel drive. If I'm not wrong, I think all body-shells between WR-02 and GF-01 are interchangeable quite easily (with appropriate body mounts)

Sorry I can't help with brushless thingies & so on, I'll forever stay with brushed mild power (already fun enough in my opinion :) )

EtfkLkul.jpg

olqjXlnl.jpg

• Like 6

I dont know about dye but I bought a black chassis for mine and I think it looks so much better.

fWRIa5S.jpeg

J6IeEbz.jpeg

I also added a servo mount on the rear to active the tipper.

• Like 2

I'm fairly certain the chassis won't take dye. I think its PC. Unfortunately, the one thing that will, the suspension arms, are already black.

10 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

I dont know about dye but I bought a black chassis for mine and I think it looks so much better.

fWRIa5S.jpeg

J6IeEbz.jpeg

I also added a servo mount on the rear to active the tipper.

That's what I'm talking about! I see you removed the front bumper also. Looks more realistic!

11 hours ago, Mouc-RC said:

Very good choice, the Heavy Dump Truck. Got mine since 2018, it's a great little "basher" :)

The only thing a bit weak for me is the upper shock mounts. They start to crack; my only advice would be to thread the holes with an M3 tap and use long machine screws to attach dampers.
GF-01 is clearly a "4x4 WR-02", with twice the pinions to provide front wheel drive. If I'm not wrong, I think all body-shells between WR-02 and GF-01 are interchangeable quite easily (with appropriate body mounts)

Sorry I can't help with brushless thingies & so on, I'll forever stay with brushed mild power (already fun enough in my opinion :) )

EtfkLkul.jpg

olqjXlnl.jpg

What tires are these please? I wonder if daulies on the rear would be possible? 

11 hours ago, Mouc-RC said:

EtfkLkul.jpg

olqjXlnl.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep that in mind, with the shock mounts!

I can't help you with the brushless set up as mine runs a stock 540 can with a HW1060 speedo. I have the GF01FT version and I run it in side the house so I don't need anything super quick. I like my GF01FT so much I will be ordering a Dump Truck as soon as I can find a black gear box for sale. 

12 hours ago, Magnus001 said:

That's what I'm talking about! I see you removed the front bumper also. Looks more realistic!

AFqWgfs.jpeg

I used a grasshopper bumper to give protection whilst looking neater.

There is a nice YouTube video showing how, it's a nice mod.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nikko85 said:

What tires are these please? I wonder if daulies on the rear would be possible? 

https://store.rc4wd.com/MIL-SPEC-ZXL-19-Tires_p_1957.html - Rims are from the CC-01 Lowering Kit.

Duallies would be nice, for sure. Good idea also to remove the bumper, thanks for sharing this :)

About the chassis, I don't know why you guys prefer a black chassis. On those trucks in real life, everything is painted in the same color. But hey, personal opinion ;)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mouc-RC said:

https://store.rc4wd.com/MIL-SPEC-ZXL-19-Tires_p_1957.html - Rims are from the CC-01 Lowering Kit.

Duallies would be nice, for sure. Good idea also to remove the bumper, thanks for sharing this :)

About the chassis, I don't know why you guys prefer a black chassis. On those trucks in real life, everything is painted in the same color. But hey, personal opinion ;)

Thanks.

For me its because it's because tamiya use two quite distinct shades of yellow, so I just liked black more.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2024 at 7:13 AM, Mouc-RC said:

olqjXlnl.jpg

I really like that look. Better than the kit. Unbelievable that these are the CC-01 lowrider rims. That's 1.9", aren't they? Seeing RCs like that always wants to make me buy more RCs.

2032739041_morercs.thumb.jpg.733ab44039277d4f8addb7cc75e39d80.jpg

When I bought the Mammoth dump truck based on the Juggernaut chassis. I wanted to put duallies on the rear but never really got it done. My personal rim manufacturer went out of business at that time.

Cheers

Martin

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, urban warrior said:

I really like that look. Better than the kit. Unbelievable that these are the CC-01 lowrider rims. That's 1.9", aren't they? Seeing RCs like that always wants to make me buy more RCs.

You're not kidding . . . @Mouc-RC cost me $267 by posting that pic, LOL

And yes no, they are 1.9" 2", *but the 1.9" tires fit*

Edited by GToddC5
clarity
  • Haha 2

Oh guys, I'm sorry... But happy at the same time :) . GF-01 is great you'll see, and the Dump Truck is the best of the range!

The rims are actually 2", diameter wise. But 1,9" tires fit really well, don't worry.

2 minutes ago, Mouc-RC said:

Oh guys, I'm sorry... But happy at the same time :) . GF-01 is great you'll see, and the Dump Truck is the best of the range!

The rims are actually 2", diameter wise. But 1,9" tires fit really well, don't worry.

You helped me off the fence, thanks! And thanks for clearing up the size, I edited my post ^. Glad to hear the 1.9" fit, because that's what I purchased. There was a size up, but I went for the 1.9" from your recommendation. 

• Thanks 1

So my kit arrived, and I'm looking through the parts. One problem... The pinion won't fit the 5mm shaft of the Hobbywing motor. Does anyone know how makes pinions with 5mm hole, that match the pitch of the gears? My search for "Tamiya pinions" or "mod 6 poinion" seem to mostly only have the smaller holes...

You need 18T or 20T 0.6 Mod 5mm shaft pinion. Tamiya wont do them.

18T or 20T is the number of teeth, 0.6 Mod is the gear size and 5mm is the shaft.

https://www.bspspares.co.uk/products/l618b-module-0-6-0-6m-18t-18-teeth-tooth-motor-pinion-gear-black-540-5mm-bore

The GF01 can do 18T or 20T. 20T will give you more speed and 18T more torque but with modern brushless you'll have more than either of both on that chassis.

• Like 1

You are right, those seem to be tricker, no idea why. Personally I wouldn't worry to much about 18T vs 20T on a GF01, it'll be plenty punch and fast enough on either, but that is strange. 

Hot Racing seems to make them, but finding someone who stocks them is the problem. I finally did find a seller on Ebay, but they don't mention the brand, so we'll see...