OnTheTrail

Why do some of you prefer blister packs?

Just thinking about this the other day when emptying the trash can in my workshop after a recent build.  I recall a lot of folks asking for more kits where the parts are packaged as blister packs.   I recently finished up my Buggy Champ and I really don't care for them.   Substantially more work than cutting open a couple bags of parts and dumping them into a container.  Is it just for the nostalgia part that some prefer?   

Perhaps I could see this if the plastic formed parts blisters "easily" pulled off the cardboard......but the DON"T :angry:.   Every one of them you have to get in there with an X-acto and carefully cut what appears to be a very robust plastic and try to cut it without cutting the part inside or the blade slipping and cutting yourself.   

• Like 1

From a practicality standpoint, you're right, but like so many aspects in the "vintage" end of this hobby, when do things make practical sense, lol? 

Nostalgia is part of it, but I think for myself (and possibly others), presentation has a lot to do with it too. Tamiya packages were a special treat that no race kit consisting of ordered bags tossed in a box of parts could replicate, no matter how effective that final assembled product was. The box art, naming and color schemes and creativity on the box lid was just the start. Once that shrink wrap (at least in the US) was cut and the box lid was slowly shuffled off, your eyes would be hit with the care and detail Tamiya put into just displaying the unassembled kit in the box. It (along with the wonderful "high" wafting from the that Tamiya rubber hitting the nostrils) let you know you were in for a special experience. Along with dividers, logos and original bag header tags (featuring mini box art line drawings) the blister packs were there to display the more "special" parts of the kit. From the "lowliest" Grasshopper to the ultimate Egress, all the kits had them.

Are they a pain to get into? Yes they can be. Do I want them all the tine? Probably not. I likely don't need blister packs for a rando TT02. Other kits like the Super Avante? They might have been nice...even if they are more cumbersome to deal with ;).

• Like 5

I think they're just a little nicer than a handful of unlabeled bags chucked into a box. But, I'd happily take some bearings over some nice packaging any day of the week.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kowalski86 said:

I think they're just a little nicer than a handful of unlabeled bags chucked into a box. But, I'd happily take some bearings over some nice packaging any day of the week.

Yes,agree.

Good Morning!

Sure, in the heydays opening the Box of an original Toyota Hilux Pickup or Bruiser (or some other kits of that era) were a real pleasure with an assortment of parts laid out on top under some blisters. But times have changed. I see it from a quite different point of view today. Sustainability is a word that made its way into the thoughts of many, but I have the impression that it did not made its way into the modelling business. Everytime I build a model I take a look at the pile of all the plastic bags, cardboard labels and surplus parts that remain after the build ... and I always feel a bit guilty. But maybe its just me. Who knows.

Cheers

Martin

• Like 2

Not sure I love blistering packs, or just love opening a box, and feeling like I've got something for my £300+....🤔

Modern race cars, are just boxes of bags, (I'm sure there was a thread about dozens of bags in modern kits?), and a bit underwhelming when you first open the box.

I've not really had any issues when building kits (had arms sticky on the Laydown, but turned out I'd got washers the wrong way around.. ), but the modern bag per page ,does kind of help tbh.

The last kit I bought that had blister packs, was the Re Release Ultima, and yes I've still all the empty blister packs, still in the empty box on the shelf...🫣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Saito2 I think captured the essentials. It’s a part of Japanese culture to present gifts in the most thoughtfully organized manner, and from the outside to the final decal, Tamiyas and earlier Kyoshos really nailed this aspect of unveiling in a layered manner that built excitement with each step taken. It’s almost a letdown to see the emptied box and spru go up on the shelf after the build, so you need to buy another …obviously. What a vicious cycle. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, urban warrior said:

Everytime I build a model I take a look at the pile of all the plastic bags, cardboard labels and surplus parts that remain after the build ... and I always feel a bit guilty. But maybe its just me. Who knows.

No, you're not alone. My wife is an avid recycler and its spread to me a bit. Biodegradables don't worry me too much but that big pile of plastic bags does. Blister packs could theoretically be stamped with a recycling number. Of course that would also depend on if the local recycler accepted that number plastic. Our recycler accepts so much less than they did 5 years ago :mellow:. But, that's how it goes. If there isn't money in it, nobody cares.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Anthroxoid said:

Saito2 I think captured the essentials. It’s a part of Japanese culture to present gifts in the most thoughtfully organized manner, and from the outside to the final decal, ...

Indeed, I totally forgot about that cultural difference. I took it as a matter of course in the past, but there is more behind. Thank you for clarification! I missed that point.

Its a good point about the culture. I remember watching a youtube video where someone explained the importance of wrapping gifts with care in Japan and also the importance of unwrapping with care and appreciating the wrapping. I quite like that presentation is considered important.

• Like 2

On 2/19/2024 at 1:42 AM, Saito2 said:

Nostalgia is part of it, but I think for myself (and possibly others), presentation has a lot to do with it too. Tamiya packages were a special treat that no race kit consisting of ordered bags tossed in a box of parts could replicate, no matter how effective that final assembled product was.

It strikes me that the packaging of the Kyosho Dirtmaster is something else compared to the Legendary series - it was a surprise to me when people did the unboxing. Totally different feel.

These days, I am more aware of the packaging and the "whole experience" thing, although I still really dislike wrangling with wrapping paper and not-so sticky tape trying to make a nice package ... :) Need to turn to Furoshiki wrapping, I guess.

• Like 1