Kai City RC

What would you run? 🤔

I'm after some ideas for what to run in a new race series being held at my local indoor, off-road carpet track. If you're familiar with my channel you'll know I raced in both the DT-02/03 and TT-02B Race series last year.

This year a new race series will be held and these are the regulations. 🤗

Must be RWD with the motor mounted behind the rear axle.

Must use the kit supplied body, gearbox and spur.

Must use either a Sport Tune or Dirt Tune motor

Gear ratio must be 8.0:1 or above.

Control tires are Tamiya Square Pin Spike front and rear.

Aside from that, new or old anything goes!

A few notes about the races. 

Small(ish) indoor high grip carpet track, narrow lanes, jumps and banks.

Races are generally 3 to 5 laps and points are awarded depending on finishing order.

Death Match style rules.There are NO MARSHALS. Flip over or get stuck and you're out!

Some of the "suggested" chassis include the DT-03, Wild One, Blitzer Beetle, BBX, Ultima, Turbo Scorpion, Dirt Master and Genova. (based on what is commonly run at my track, the latter two will likely be the most popular choice.)

I'm not very competitive and I enjoy racing just for the fun of it. Nevertheless, I took 2nd place overall in the TT-02B Cup and I'll admit it's nice to cap of a fun nights' racing stood on a podium. 😁 

So if you were in it to win it, what would you run and why?

(Here are some links to our recent races)

• Like 5

I vote Dirtmaster, it's a decent kit that comes with everything that you "need", without the hiccups of Tamiyas old models, and there's plenty of adjustable bits to keep things interesting.

If you want to keep things simple, I'd go with a group of DT-03s or Blitzers.

• Like 2

I wish DN-01 was in production.  Of things I have, it's much better than DT-02, DT-03, or Wild One.  At one point, you could get it for about $160.  I wonder if one is available on a used market.  https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/-road-buggies/rc-2wd-buggy-zahhak/   

Wouldn't BBX be too heavy?  Given choices, I might go with other more capable chassis like Kyosho or G-force.   

• Like 1

I would think the Traxxas Bandit might be a viable choice. I assume the kit body requirements would allow your own paint job on clear body, otherwise running the pre painted RTR body would not be great. 

What would I run? My Super Madtute. It qualifies and I use it for carpet racing.  Should you run one? No, it's a silly idea.

Dirtmaster is a good shout. Someone runs one at my local club and its certainly not embarrassing. 

The PR Racing PR S1 RM is one I've seen that was instantly good and would be my recommendation. 

• Like 1

Keeping things cheap - DT03

Something to be able to get around quickly - R̶B̶5̶ Dirtmaster 

Dirtmaster gets my vote as well. Since you have a DT-02 that's prepped for this track you can compare them directly to see if the Dirtmaster is indeed so much better/faster more consistent or easier to drive fast than the DT-02?

Got to be one of the three new old-skool buggies - Dirtmaster/Genova/PR Racing?  It sounds like this is what the class was made for!

I think you have all three, so take whichever you like driving the most  :D

9 hours ago, Kai City RC said:

So if you were in it to win it, what would you run and why?

Well I guess my pick would be a Turbo Scorpion as I’m not a great driver and chances of winning in my hands are slim, but at least it would still look great crossing the finish line whatever position 😁 

Mine handles a 3300kv brushless no worries, so wouldn’t even break a sweat with a Sport Tuned in it.

Not sure if the Tamiya tyres will fit though so that could be a problem?

2nd choice would be a Dirt Master (only going of video footage as I’ve not driven one) Probably more race orientated than a TS as it’s not as flash looking.

I ran a Stadium Blitzer on a Sport Tuned for a long time without any issues except the rear diff needed stiffening with AW grease as it would easily spin end for end on loose dirt, it would be more at home on a high grip surface I would think.

Great track you were racing on by the way, congratulations on the second place 👍🏻have fun whatever you decide. 

11 hours ago, Kai City RC said:

I enjoy racing just for the fun of it

11 hours ago, Kai City RC said:

motor mounted behind the rear axle

ah shucks, no Wild Willy then :(

• Haha 2

Thanks for the responses! I'm a huge fan of the Kyosho Legendary series and it would be great to run a Turbo Scorpion or Tomahawk. But they aren't really suited to indoor high grip carpet tracks. Likewise, I love the looks of the BBX, the Blitzer and Wild One. It would be great to see them out on the track, but perhaps not the best choice for racing.

I'm leaning towards the Dirt Master, Genova or S1 RM.

What about motor? The regulations are either 540 silver can, OP.68 Sport Tune or Dirt tune. (I need to clarify the race regulations, as the text states "Dirt Tune" but the item code given is OP.779, which is the GT Tune.) 

According to Tamiya's website, here's how they stack up:

Sports Tune 23T 350gf・cm and 18300rpm @ 7.2V

GT Tune 25T 500gf・cm and 19,000rpm @ 7.2V

Dirt Tune 27T 37.24mN・m and 17,000rpm @ 7.2V

The latter two also have the benefit of replaceable brushes.

What's would you consider more important - turn, torque or rpm?

Personally, I would gear the car at 8.0:1 and run the GT Tuned motor if you can.  The Sport Tuned won't really like the gearing that low IMHO, so if you can't use the GT Tuned I'd use the Sport Tuned and gear the car a little lower, somewhere around 9.0:1 might be OK?

4 hours ago, Kai City RC said:

What's would you consider more important - turn, torque or rpm?

For a spec class, I'd want torque (for motor longevity and consistency), and accessibility. It needs to be a motor that's easy to get.

On 2/20/2024 at 12:10 PM, Kai City RC said:

What about motor? The regulations are either 540 silver can, OP.68 Sport Tune or Dirt tune. (I need to clarify the race regulations, as the text states "Dirt Tune" but the item code given is OP.779, which is the GT Tune.) 

A club by me speced similar motors, but after some discussions, went for a 21t Corerc motor (I voted the 15t, but...🙄).

They're similar in specs (21t - 17123rpm /285, and the 15t - 23095rpm / 295 ), have a built in fan , but half the price (under a tenner!) 

Thanks for the replies. 👍 I plan to head to the circuit later today to confirm what motor can be run. I'm probably going to go with either the Dirt Tune or GT (whichever is permitted) for the extra torque and better cooling. The rules also state that you can run a different machine in each round, so I'm planning to prep three machines - the Genova, Dirt Master and S1 RM. The plan is to compete with a different buggy in each round to keep things interesting. 

On 2/22/2024 at 12:44 AM, Wooders28 said:

A club by me speced similar motors, but after some discussions, went for a 21t Corerc motor (I voted the 15t, but...🙄).

They're similar in specs (21t - 17123rpm /285, and the 15t - 23095rpm / 295 ), have a built in fan , but half the price (under a tenner!) 

CoreRC are not very common over here and the track I run at prefers to spec "slower" motors for the races (usually silver cans). But while the speeds might not be so high, the races are no less fun. Nevertheless,  it would be good to use a motor with a built in fan! We have to build custom mounts to install them on the DT-02 and Grasshopper.

• Like 3

Go the Ultima mate. Light. Nimble. Quick. Stable...oh and looks super cool too :D.....you know you want to!

Hi David,

Great idea for a race series and I can’t wait to see it!

Wouldn’t it be great to get the Ultima up there? I am sure you will see lots of DMs and Genovas and the Ultima would surely give them all a run for their money?

Shame the DN01 is out of production as that would be epic! 

Can’t wait to see what you do 

Craig