Sign in to follow this  
Pintopower

AMPro FF01 Gearbox

In 2020, the gearbox pretty much fell off my FF01. I went in search for replacement parts and got a shock when I found that the hoarders, I mean collectors, wanted well over $500 for the parts I needed. 

spacer.png

Fast forward to a few months ago and after missing my FF01 way too long, I went ahead and redesigned the whole front end including re-engineering it to make it more robust. You can now rebuild your FF01 and get it back on the road where it belongs. Please note that this is a system and is not intended to be used with any factory or aftermarket parts gearbox parts. The heatsink will fit as it is not one of the plastic gearbox parts. 

SLS from Shapeways (there is a version without the fan mount):

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

SLA (for display only, all holes must be tapped) 

spacer.png

spacer.png

FDM:

spacer.png

Here is a prototype build/test from RC Everyday:

AMPro full build:

Now that the front is fixed, the rear will be redone as well since mine is totally shattered. Stay tuned. 

I hope this fixes all your FF01's!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RichieRich said:

It appears the Tamiya motor heat sink still fits?

Correct. That was designed to fit. There are a lot of random aftermarket parts some of the testers tried to use. These parts were rare 25 years ago, let alone now. 

This is cool, it's great to see 3D printed parts serving as a way to fix old models.

Have you thought about making the gearbox compatible with 1510 bearings? It would allow for some more modern differential options from M-05/6

35 minutes ago, Honza said:

This is cool, it's great to see 3D printed parts serving as a way to fix old models.

Have you thought about making the gearbox compatible with 1510 bearings? It would allow for some more modern differential options from M-05/6

Yes, based on my spreadsheet of part numbers, I have over 3500 replacement and reengineered parts for Tamiya models alone. I have not, I know little about more modern Tamiya cars but it is something I should look into.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Pintopower said:

I know little about more modern Tamiya cars but it is something I should look into.

Definitely give it a try, M05 may be donor of compatible differential, but  there are also some projects on this forum that apply entire modern drivetrains into older cars.

This information might come handy if Tamiya stops making gears and other parts that keep older cars running.

23 hours ago, Honza said:

Definitely give it a try, M05 may be donor of compatible differential, but  there are also some projects on this forum that apply entire modern drivetrains into older cars.

This information might come handy if Tamiya stops making gears and other parts that keep older cars running.

Yeah they have not made parts for this car in decades....