Saito2

One of those days...

I succumbed and bought a TD4 at a cheap price. Its been an interesting build up to this point where things took a sharp dive. The kit in question was about $100 cheaper than anywhere else. In exchange for that cheapness, I got a kit that wasn't packed well (basically at all). With no packing material and our lovely postal system, the kit came mangled, but at least un-punctured. I dealt with it and was prepared for it because of the inexpensive price. What I did not realize was all those nice reinforced plastic parts snap off much more freely from their sprues than the usual ABS stuff. As such, the roughly treated box had many parts loose, floating around in their bags. 

Well, I got to the front gear box L sprue and I can't find the very small "L2" part. Where it went and how I lost it, I'll never know. Buying a whole new L sprue for that one tiny part is like $30. I don't know if I can bring myself to do that. And so, as part of my own stupidity and cheapness, I will box up this half finished kit, put it far back in a closet and try to forget about my folly. One tiny tiny piece of plastic smaller than my thumbnail and I'm out $30. Like I said, one of those days. 

• Sad 4

I've bought a used buggy without the antenna holding part or a truck without sideview mirrors.  I once got pretty banged up kit cheap.  Everything looked good until after I painted the body.  The lexan body had some damage.  I often go the "cheap" route, so I can't blame anybody for that.  But one missing part preventing the entire building process would be a major bummer.   

Who knows, it might show up in an unexpected place like the bag for the springs or inside of a shoe?  Taking some time off from the project does sound like a good idea.  You could come back to it when there is a $30 savings from somewhere later (like discontinuing some subscription or changing phone plans or something).  I had planned on learning how to create 3D parts, so I could print them. But I never got around to it.  Maybe you'd get there before I do.  

Could L2 be made out of something else?  Like the back of X-acto knife handle (plastic or aluminum) cut to similar shape or something? (Maybe even wood? If you are up for some ghetto mod. It does sound silly, but maybe it could be a temporary solution to get it built?)  Many of us lost e-clips and put the project on hold until we got more, but that L2 looks like nothing I've seen before. I could understand the frustration. I hope you get to build it nicely someday.  

• Like 1

Been there done that, I couldn't tell you how many times I've bought a used "good deal" only to need a part here or a part there.

It does stink when a project gets stuck over a little part though, makes me wish I could just 3D print my own copy or something.

• Like 2

Looking at the manual I’m not sure what L2 even does? It’s only on the one side and isn’t seen once the two gearbox halves are together. I’d carry on building the front end without it and see if still works Ok 👌🏻 

You could always go and do some nice photography instead like the last ones in the Gallery, the FAV was a cracker with the old  helmet 👍🏻

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That is so frustrating.

A really weird little part too.

I've not built mine yet so haven't seen the actual piece but looking at the manual, I'd be tempted to try and fashion a 'bung' out of something to fill that gap. 

A full sprue and postage would be galling for something that looks like it has no specific function.

Edited by Badcrumble
spellz
  • Like 1

Oh you can’t call yourself a tamiya collector if you haven’t had a situation like yours @Saito2 :lol: i had a very similar experience with my really cheap but not anymore super hot shot and a good percentage of the problem was my inability to look properly:rolleyes: I found what I thought was a really good bargain of a super hot shot on eBay (first mistake I suppose) I knew it probably needed the gold wheel because it had original white ones on it but long story short when it arrived I its box which had been used to spray the body so silver paint everywhere and it was wrapped up in a bin bag and the body had been sprayed on the outside and no super shot spiked tyres and no super hot shot alloy roof just standard hot shot roof he/she had replaced the bearings with plastic bearings so to get it back to super hot shot spec cost more than if I’d bought a new one:o!

IMG_0315.jpeg

• Like 4

It looks like the L2 part is just there to help hold the drive shaft cup assembly in place.  You could use a blob of Blu-Tack or similar to do the same job?  It seems to rest against the outer shell of the 1050 bearing, the shaft rotation will take place inside the bearing.

I'd be tempted to do that rather than spend $30 on a load of plastic parts I don't need plus you can complete the build then  :D

• Like 1

On 2/26/2024 at 9:47 PM, Juggular said:

Could L2 be made out of something else?  Like the back of X-acto knife handle (plastic or aluminum) cut to similar shape or something? (Maybe even wood? If you are up for some ghetto mod. It does sound silly, but maybe it could be a temporary solution to get it built?)  Many of us lost e-clips and put the project on hold until we got more, but that L2 looks like nothing I've seen before.

On 2/27/2024 at 5:41 AM, Badcrumble said:

I've not built mine yet so haven't seen the actual piece but looking at the manual, I'd be tempted to try and fashion a 'bung' out of something to fill that gap. 

On 2/27/2024 at 12:19 AM, Re-Bugged said:

Looking at the manual I’m not sure what L2 even does? It’s only on the one side and isn’t seen once the two gearbox halves are together. I’d carry on building the front end without it and see if still works Ok 👌🏻

On 2/27/2024 at 6:17 AM, Twinfan said:

t looks like the L2 part is just there to help hold the drive shaft cup assembly in place.  You could use a blob of Blu-Tack or similar to do the same job?  It seems to rest against the outer shell of the 1050 bearing, the shaft rotation will take place inside the bearing.

I'd be tempted to do that rather than spend $30 on a load of plastic parts I don't need plus you can complete the build then  :D

If I don't find it, I will try this route. @Twinfan is correct about its purpose. It fills the hole under the top cover and provides maybe 25% of the surface for the outer bearing race to ride in. The L2 is another example of the strange design issues with the car. There was no reason L2 shouldn't have been molded into the top or bottom cover (or both). There are numerous examples where is seems parts were "forgotten" or missed in the design process. Weird tiny parts like L2 were created to fill the gaps at best or at worst, Tamiya just tells you to stuff foam tape in a crevice left between two parts. Its a wonderful new design let down by a strange half-baked feeling at times.

On 2/26/2024 at 11:26 PM, RichieRich said:

Even if you spend the $30, you're still ahead.

I know, lol. The logic part of my brain keeps telling me that.

On 2/27/2024 at 12:19 AM, Re-Bugged said:

You could always go and do some nice photography instead like the last ones in the Gallery, the FAV was a cracker with the old  helmet 👍🏻

Thank you. That helmet was actually my grandfather's when he flew in WW2.

I will recheck for the part tonight. Perhaps time away will yield more fruitful results. Thanks for tolerating my little rant. 

Edit: I found it! I found it! Thank you all for "giving me a shoulder to cry on", so to speak.

• Like 11