Pylon80

Cordless Blower/Duster for Post-Run Cleaning?

I do not have an air compressor and I can't really justify getting even a small one as I do not really use any kind of air tools at home. I do miss the air compressor that we had a few years back at the RC track though. I was wondering if people on here had any positive experience with a reasonably priced cordless blower/duster. AMain has 100$ ones :O which seems over the top; looking more at a 20$ cheap but functional option. Thanks!

I’m not sure if you have them in the USA but look up Airshot tubeless tyre inflators. They’re for seating bicycle tyres and it works a treat on messy RC cars. You’ll also need a track pump or similar 

• Like 1

Search for mini cordless leaf blower or shop blower, and you'll find some cheaper stuff around $40 on Amazon. I myself have a small Milwaukee shop blower and it's awesome for small tasks like you describe, as well as drying 1:1 car wheels after a wash, clearing snow, dust, pollen off it, etc.

@alvinlwh we have this thin a gritty dust where I live that somehow is too heavy to be blown with a hair drier; you need something with a lot of pressure.

@Twinfan I have always used old tooth brushes but there is just so many place where you cant really get to.

39 minutes ago, Guido01 said:

I’m not sure if you have them in the USA but look up Airshot tubeless tyre inflators. They’re for seating bicycle tyres and it works a treat on messy RC cars. You’ll also need a track pump or similar 

Interesting! A few years back I was doing tubeless conversions for my mountain bikes and I had found a method that worked for me (CO2 cartridges) so never fabricated nor bought an inflator. It didn't work with fat bikes though as the tire volume was so large. I will look into the Airshot.

55 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

something with a lot of pressure

5p6tEVv.jpg

This?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

5p6tEVv.jpg

This?

I saw these. Wondering how long you can spray before the can runs out. Only one way to know ;)

That duster thing runs out pretty quick.. ended up costing quite a lot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

I saw these. Wondering how long you can spray before the can runs out. Only one way to know ;)

They last a while, but you can't spray for long as they tend to "freeze up" due to cooling from the accelerant.  They are NOT just compressed air, and you can also "freeze" components if you get too close.  Best for small bursts in it's intended use rolls (keyboards, etc).  Also works great for blowing lint out of pocket knives.  Cleaning RC Cars?  Not so great...

1 hour ago, bRIBEGuy said:

They last a while, but you can't spray for long as they tend to "freeze up" due to cooling from the accelerant.  They are NOT just compressed air, and you can also "freeze" components if you get too close.  Best for small bursts in it's intended use rolls (keyboards, etc).  Also works great for blowing lint out of pocket knives.  Cleaning RC Cars?  Not so great...

Yep, anyone who has done scuba diving would see how much the can would have to weight if it really contained compressed air. I suspect these 'air cans' actually contain a gas that is liquid at room temperature under low pressure... As a tip off, some of them mention "highly flammable" :D These could be propane for all I know! That is the only way to store a significant amount in these cans.

4 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

Yep, anyone who has done scuba diving would see how much the can would have to weight if it really contained compressed air. I suspect these 'air cans' actually contain a gas that is liquid at room temperature under low pressure... As a tip off, some of them mention "highly flammable" :D These could be propane for all I know! That is the only way to store a significant amount in these cans.

Ok, good point. This will be safer. Just need to replace the hose.

bJORumC.jpg

This is not a joke, some actually use this to do airbrushing, and since airbrushing uses compressed air just like what OP wants, this is a possible alternative. Just need a regulator to control the output, something like this.

JuKX67S.jpg

This is an actual CO2 extinguisher I have rigged up to my fish tank. I have easy access to free age expired extinguishers, a great source of free CO2.

• Like 1

Since you're located in the US, I'd just recommend you pull the trigger and get a compact air compressor from Harbor Frieght.   Two styles, each about $60 with another $12 for the starter accessory kit.   By the time you bought a leaf blower and batteries or cases of air in a can, you could just get one of these.   

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools-compressors/air-compressors-tanks/air-compressors/3-gallon-13-hp-110-psi-oil-free-hot-dog-air-compressor-57572.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools-compressors/air-compressors-tanks/air-compressors/3-gallon-13-hp-110-psi-oil-free-pancake-air-compressor-57567.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-compressor-starter-kit-20-piece-64599.html

If you're not already signed up with your email with Harbor Freight, do so and somewhere along the way you'll get a coupon for 10% off so that will bring the cost down.   I've seen the accessory kit on sale for like $8 as well.   

You'll find yourself using this all the time for things RC and not RC related.  Small enough to carry out to the car to top off that spare tire that you haven't check the pressure in in the past eight years!   LOL.

I have the previous version of the pancake style in my toolshed.   Trouble free for about a dozen years or so.   

• Like 1

An air compressor is really the only proper tool for this in my opinion. There are always cheap used ones on Craigslist. It seems justifiable to buy a compressor if it is a tool you will use. Great for blowing off bodies prior to painting as well.

• Like 1

I’ve been thinking about buying something to blow the dirt and dust off RC’s on a budget too - 

9-D066837-4-E4-B-474-C-ABC1-D41-AD60-DFB

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

I’ve been thinking about buying something to blow the dirt and dust off RC’s on a budget too - 

I have similar one in corded version. It is pretty good.. but unfortunately not even close to actual air from air compressors… 

It will blow up some dirt, but does not work well on tire dust or some other fine dust…

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

I probably wasn't very clear when I started the thread but that is essentially what I had in mind. I am looking at people's feedback on these contraptions as an alternative to a proper shop compressor, which I am trying to avoid. Unlike most people I hate owning stuff in general and in particular I never know where I will be living in the next year or two and so accumulating things that I am going to throw away in the near future is not appealing! I do realize that this is an RC car collector's forum with some folks enjoying the ownership of 100+ RC vehicle collections! :D

• Like 1

Unfortunately, our hobby has many health hazards and given we are here for the long-haul (decades in the hobby) it is important we take steps to minimize exposure. A single dose/exposure is harmless, but getting exposed to spray paint, grease, AG threadlock (with its delicious smell), glue, tire particles, etc over the years could have consequences. A lot of stuff gets absorbed through skin, other stuff through your lungs.

Blowing air to clean dirty components is one of the often-overlooked hazards on a workshop. You can breathe very nasty stuff when small particles are blown at close proximity. Thankfully, in RC we don't often have to air-blow oils & liquids as these are particularly bad since they atomize easily and will get to your lungs. I would think air-blowing tire dust is something that is best to avoid as there is a chance it will get into your lungs either right away or later as the dust will settle somewhere in your work area (or worst where your kids play, etc). For me, anything that blows air at relatively high pressure is a no-no. Using vacuum beats a blower every time, provided your vacuum does have an appropriate filter.

As @Twinfan mentioned, an easy & safe way to clear tire dust & dust in general is with a brush and pushing the dust towards a bag or bin. Ideally you can wear a mask, but I don't think that is necessary if you avoid dust to go all over the place. I use a combination of a rag, brush and an air hand pump (low pressure which only removes large particles) to clean my cars.

Air hand pumps are generally sold in kits to clean camera lenses. Good for cleaning and doubling as a stress ball :).

360_F_220635071_FMYnDyo6GOYbk3A1KWoeaNNV

This is what you (me and many others) exactly need.

https://jisulife.com/collections/handheld-fan/products/handheld-fan-ultra1

A friend of mine has one and I was amazed how strong the amount air pressure it can deliver. The speed is variable up to 78,000rpm with brushless motor. Battery is 9000mah LiPo and lasts a long time without needing frequent recharging.

JISULIFE Handheld Fan Ultra1.

cn-11134207-7r98o-lofbgcytlew27c

I placed an order myself and should be here in about a week's time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1