TamiyaD

Are the TRF dampers the only way?

On 3/7/2024 at 7:30 PM, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

2. Td4

On mine I had the Tamiya buggy big bores 54504,54505. Look up the website plazajapan, have them at a good price. Another option but I haven’t used is Tamiya tt02b df03 alloy dampers.

You forced my hand into placing a new Plaza Japan order due to these big bore shocks ūüė≠ūüėĘūü§¶ūüŹĽ

• Like 2

Regarding Plaza Jappan: the prices seem great but considering shipping costs plus taxes and duties they are not much different from those in the EU area. Am I right or do I miss something here? 

For us in the UK there's no minimum order size unlike Tamico insist on, so it can still be worthwhile placing an order.  Prices have crept up of late, and they're still cheaper for some things, but for others the gap is really not much.  The big bore shocks, for example, are still considerably cheaper than most other places.  Smaller items, less so.

• Like 1

TRF is one of the best dampers out there but pricey. Yeah Racing is a good brand/option with very good performance at almost half the price. All you have to do is upgrade the o-ring and apply silicon grease in the o-rings upon assembly (do this also with TRF and other dampers) and you'll be amazed how they will perform. I have TRF dampers in my FF03 cars. YR Gear Shock 65mm in my XV-01 and YR 55mm in my FF-01. All work great without any issues or leaks.

jx68Diwh.jpg

RlEACIHh.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nicadraus said:

TRF is one of the best dampers out there but pricey. Yeah Racing is a good brand/option with very good performance at almost half the price. All you have to do is upgrade the o-ring and apply silicon grease in the o-rings upon assemble (do this also with TRF and other dampers) and you'll be amazed how they will perform. I have TRF dampers in my FF03 cars. YR Gear Shock 65mm in my XV-01. and YR in my FF-01. All work great without any issues or leaks.

jx68Diwh.jpg

RlEACIHh.jpg

The YR dampers are awesome and their clear o-ring is pretty darn good as well.  I personally stick with the original shock gear and avoid their big bores, due to spring options for their big bores. 

I wanted to use the big bores for rallye purpose. The springs that come with it are great for road but too stiff for Rallye. I searched for softer options and came up empty. Majority of big bore springs are short or super short. So I ended up buying another 55 mm shock gear

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, TamiyaD said:

@Nicadraus@Nicadraus thanks for the info.

I am wondering what are these transparent o-rings.?

They’re the o-rings that came with older TRF dampers.. and can be found in 53574 rebuild kit  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Twinfan said:

Prices have crept up of late

I noticed that. TZ motor was around 15$ and it's now quietly increased to 23$. Yep, that's a 50% increase. Then there is the shipping: to the best of my knowledge it used to be a rather high flat rate, but a flat rate. I am now seeing strange jumps in the shipping as I add items... I find this to have an unpleasant "RCMart" smell to it. PJ are still the cheapest way, but certainly not nearly as good as it once was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Raman36 said:

I wanted to use the big bores for rallye purpose. The springs that come with it are great for road but too stiff for Rallye. I searched for softer options and came up empty. Majority of big bore springs are short or super short. So I ended up buying another 55 mm shock gear

Agreed, all my research came empty as well and the Tamiya rally spring set is still the only way that I know off (unless of course we are talking XV-01 chassis). There are lots of big bore springs marketed as Super Soft out there, but they are short and stiff by rally standard; these are more drift oriented anyway.

On a nice note the Tamiya rally springs have been back in stock as of late and they work great on anything from CVA to TRF and even CC-01 aluminum shocks.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

I noticed that. TZ motor was around 15$ and it's now quietly increased to 23$. Yep, that's a 50% increase. Then there is the shipping: to the best of my knowledge it used to be a rather high flat rate, but a flat rate. I am now seeing strange jumps in the shipping as I add items... I find this to have an unpleasant "RCMart" smell to it. PJ are still the cheapest way, but certainly not nearly as good as it once was.

Yep, I seem to recall picking up Super Stock motors for around £18 each around a year ago, now they're around £26.

The shipping jumps are based on a combination of weight, package volume and value as far as I can tell.  So depending on what you're buying, and what you add to your cart, the shipping price can either creep or jump up!

• Like 1