skom25

HEX keys recommendation

Hi,

I am looking for HEX keys recommendation.

I have basic Tamiya set, but they are rather poor quality.

What do you suggest? Typical RC like Hudy, VP-PRO or e.g. Wiha/ Wera?

I like Wera Hex Plus. 

They are shaped slightly off a regular hexagon to give more engagement and deeper into the corner, to be a bit kinder on your screw heads. They're also just well made tools. And the drivers are nice in the hand too. 

• Like 1

Seconded on the Wera Hex plus. You can also get them with T shaped handles if you prefer.

• Like 1

I'm using the Wera micro range, they are a few quid from Amazon and very good. Personally I think the RC brands tool are massively over inflated when you compare them to what's used in most industries. 

• Like 1

I’ve been using mip drivers for years, never broke one, never stripped a head while using them. Can’t say the same for the multiple other brands i’ve tried. Yes they are expensive, but these days, for me at least, anything else feels like wasted money. 

• Like 4

I’ve got Milwaukee hex keys (and budget snap on “blue point” brand 1/4” drive hex keys).  Good quality makes an even bigger difference IMO when getting down to small drivers and shows in less rounding / head damage.  Especially when removing corroded or seized parts.

Not cheap but I’ve had them years and come with good guarantees.  I’ve also got other Wera drivers and they are good too.  

My elder brother is an HGV tech and has instilled a strong belief in me in quality tools over the years, whenever I’ve gone cheap they simply don’t last (by cheap I mean recognisable brands as well).  My use is not pro, just full size car repairs, diy, bike repairs etc 

PS I did not follow my above rules in getting JIS drivers for tamiya screws, they are budget jobs off Amazon, time will tell if I got lucky or if they are guff 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex97 said:

I'm using the Wera micro range, they are a few quid from Amazon and very good. Personally I think the RC brands tool are massively over inflated when you compare them to what's used in most industries. 

Could you paste full name of this set?

1 hour ago, skom25 said:

Could you paste full name of this set?

This is the driver I use:

https://toolstoredirect.co.uk/products/wera-05023105001

(the product is right, shop picked at random). I don't buy sets because my RC use is 90% 2mm. And I have a 1.5mm one like this:

https://toolstoredirect.co.uk/products/wera-05118066001

I also use their hex plus bits for power screwdriver use. 

The best you can buy are the MIPs. I look for reasons to use mine, they are that nice. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rinskie said:

The best you can buy are the MIPs. I look for reasons to use mine, they are that nice. 

I really wanted them but they are not available in my area 🙄

1 hour ago, Alex97 said:

Wera Kraftform 2054 Micro Screwdriver - Hexagon Tip Sw 2.0 / 60 https://amzn.eu/d/elTcS8H

I have 2.0 mm and to be honest, I am not super happy. It does not feel much better than basic Tamiya.

I think about this set. Looks really nice but it is hard to find opinions and they are bit expensive.

image.png.f68fb8a5484166e2bdaa476324f8637a.png

1 hour ago, skom25 said:

I really wanted them but they are not available in my area 🙄

I have 2.0 mm and to be honest, I am not super happy. It does not feel much better than basic Tamiya.

I think about this set. Looks really nice but it is hard to find opinions and they are bit expensive.

image.png.f68fb8a5484166e2bdaa476324f8637a.png

I'm more worried about the material of the tip than how they look and feel. 

3 hours ago, Rinskie said:

I use MIP speed tips in a micro stubby ratchet handle. The handle was cheapish but great to have a ratchet function, the tips more expensive but the quality is definitely higher than my Tamiyas (though the T ones are a bit old now).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex97 said:

I'm more worried about the material of the tip than how they look and feel. 

I do not like them for two reasons:

- They do not offer tight fit. They are around Tamiya basic set quality.

- They are very small so it is hard to tighten screws with proper torque. I had to tighten all screws with Tamiya key, despite it is also very small.

On 3/15/2024 at 10:39 AM, Rinskie said:

I resisted for years to get the MIP drivers.  Best tool in the RC tool collection.   Not cheap but they work very well. 

I also have both a metric and SAE Wiha ball end drivers.   These are good too but the since they're ball drivers, I don't expect to use as much pressure as a straight end hex driver.   

To me, they're two different tools for two different purposes.   I know that sounds odd .....

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, skom25 said:

I do not like them for two reasons:

- They do not offer tight fit. They are around Tamiya basic set quality.

- They are very small so it is hard to tighten screws with proper torque. I had to tighten all screws with Tamiya key, despite it is also very small.

If you're talking about the thin wera one, then I think they might do two different tips - normal and hex plus. If that's the case, don't discount the hex plus on the basis of the other ones. I haven't tried those thin ones (except for the tiny sizes) and I'm with you - I like a bit more handle. 

I have Hex Plus, but as I wrote, I prefer handle more like in Tamiya screwdrivers.

Hudy and MIP are the best of the RC brands. I know people with both who have had them for years and years without issue.

I have the Arrowmax purple tools which were fine for about 5 years. They are quite a bit cheaper than MIP or Hudy and I have heaps of types and sizes so it made sense. You can replace the tips, so I now have Arrowmax handles with Hudy tips on the 1.5mm, 2mm and 2.5mm so its worked out really well. I'm about to add a 2.5mm ball driver and will get the arrowmax purple for that too. I probably use mine more than most too as we run 10th on and off road, plus 8th scale off road cars so can be racing up to 3 times a month.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Hudy and MIP are the best of the RC brands. I know people with both who have had them for years and years without issue.

I have the Arrowmax purple tools which were fine for about 5 years. They are quite a bit cheaper than MIP or Hudy and I have heaps of types and sizes so it made sense. You can replace the tips, so I now have Arrowmax handles with Hudy tips on the 1.5mm, 2mm and 2.5mm so its worked out really well. I'm about to add a 2.5mm ball driver and will get the arrowmax purple for that too. I probably use mine more than most too as we run 10th on and off road, plus 8th scale off road cars so can be racing up to 3 times a month.

I basically havd the full Arrowmax Catalogue of tools. No complaints from me

KrHoSCi.jpg

• Like 2

I have an Arrowmax set, but after snapping a few of their 1.5mm drivers, I bought an MIP 1.5mm.

• Like 2

I got absolutely crazy in buying RC tools .. I pretty much bought the entire hand tools that MIP sell and it cost me a lot ...a lot of money. No I'm not bragging I just fell for the "It ain't real, until you have these"  talk.  

I ensured myself that ok, they said these last a lifetime, so....they better lol. 

With that said, I'm going to check out some of these wera and hex plus stuff I'm seeing thrown around in here.

I also have the Tamiya tools ...plenty fine for working and building my Tamiyas that have the jis screws. I've had them for 5 years now and built probably 7 kits so far with them. No issues 

• Like 1

In America you can get a brand called "protec" that is sold by Amain hobbies. It's their house brand and they are not too expensive. I've been meaning to get a few drivers to try them out 

For my normal non-RC screwdrivers I heard the names Wera and Wiha most of the time. After reading reports of Wera handles suffering from the softeners in them I chose for the latter. No issue whatsoever so far.

For my hex drivers I use the Tamiya set for now. If they won't do, I may look at what Wiha has to offer, or MIP/Hudy/Arrowmax. I would've liked if one of the well-known tool brands offered JIS drivers, but the only non-RC brand that I can think of is Vessel. An organized tool bag like that Arrowmax looks gorgeous, but I have my stuff in a Tayg box, where I have multiple different brands in anyway.

Mugen Seiki tools,Japanese steel….enough said 

On 3/15/2024 at 8:51 AM, Juls1 said:

I’ve been using mip drivers for years, never broke one, never stripped a head while using them. Can’t say the same for the multiple other brands i’ve tried. Yes they are expensive, but these days, for me at least, anything else feels like wasted money. 

MIP never made a complete set in a case like the other brands. Always had to buy it all separate and organize your own tool box. I recently got their tool case they now offer(nothing in it) and made it my goal to fill every slot inside it with an MIP tool lol, almost filled I guess the price on a complete set in a case would be so eye popping, they said...."we won't do that"....probably not many would buy it for the high upfront price.

I started off getting the ones that are most used in every kit and eventually it became an addiction, so I got tools I'll probably use like once. Then I got the MIP zip up case and knew right then it cannot have any empty slots....it would just look bad in there. So.... Yepp I filled it with nice orange MIP stuff hahah.

Expensive, but like I said... Once and done like they tell me. I'm older now too, so a good feeling tool in my achy hands, is also a plus and justification for spending that money. 

The tools with the knurling and round handles don't look comfortable to me. MIP have the good ole screwdriver handles from 1972...just like my classic set of Stanley's, lol