I have searched, but not unearthed anything conclusive - apologies if I have missed it.

I am looking for a winch for my SCA-1E - I would like to operate it via the Tx/Rx and without the need for an additional battery.

What are my options? So far I have only turned up winches which have a proprietary controller and require their own battery (unless I'm misunderstanding).

Thanks!

Most winch controllers operate off the 6v from the receiver, or the more powerful ones tap into the battery leads. You can certainly run a separate battery, but there's no need to. 

My RC4WD and generic winch controllers run off the 6v from the receiver.  They have their own controllers which is handy. 

My larger servo winches use old ESC's that I have laying around so they tie into the battery power leads. They operate off a channel on my radio though I turned down the endpoints a bit so they only get about 6v or so. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OldSchoolRC1 said:

Most winch controllers operate off the 6v from the receiver, or the more powerful ones tap into the battery leads. You can certainly run a separate battery, but there's no need to. 

My RC4WD and generic winch controllers run off the 6v from the receiver. 

My larger servo winches use old ESC's that I have laying around, so they tie into the battery power leads. 

I will have a look at the RC4WD ones.

I've never used an RC4WD winch as they are very expensive, but I understand spares are available if they break.

I've used several 3Racing winches, both 1:8 and 1:10 versions, and they work well and I've never had one break.  Sometimes the lines get jammed in the spool, necessitating a mid-course teardown, which is annoying, but the risk can be reduced by running a well-placed fairlead.

If you want to run off your radio, you will need a separate winch controller - this is a piece of hardware that goes between the radio, battery, and winch.  Generally the winch needs more amps than the radio can provide, so the winch controller usually needs to be hooked directly into the battery, which can make for some interesting re-wiring.  There's always cheap winch controllers on Aliexpress, they work well enough but in my experience they are not waterproof.

Another option is a servo winch.  I used to always buy from Overland RC for around £20 per winch, sadly I think they stopped trading a year ago so I'm on the lookout for a new supplier.  Reefs servo winches are very strong but also expensive, so I haven't tried them.  The benefit of a servo winch is it hooks right into your radio, runs just like a normal servo, and doesn't need any additional controller to wire in.  The downside is they look like servos, so you have to find space under your body and run a fairlead to the outside world.

• Like 1

I have the rc4wd winch, but i have it connected to a cheap fwd/reverse (no brake) hobbywing 1/16 scale esc tied to the main battery, on a secondary 3 way momentary switch (basically using a trim switch as an input)

• Like 1

Thanks for the input, chaps. A servo winch could be a winner, if I can make it work.