TurnipJF

Endurance Racing by post - the track is scaled up, the results form is ready, let's race!

I'm giving it a go tomorrow. I did not have the time to do both today.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andreas W said:

I'm giving it a go tomorrow. I did not have the time to do both today.

Here it is, I actually have a spreadsheet that does the scaling and margins etc so it takes no time at all :)

Marker X Y
1 6.3 2.5
2 8.5 4.8
3 5.5 5.5
4 3.3 1.0
5 2.5 2.5
6 2.5 4.0
7 1.0 5.5
8 2.5 7.0
9 8.5 7.8
10 10.0 7.0
11 10.0 2.5

image.png.6743d4721a3b8797f4947a9c3f600eb6.png

Edit: due to the scaling some number are no longer multiples of 0.5m, if people feel that will make laying out the track easier we can round to the nearest 0.5m as follows:

Marker X Y
1 6.5 2.5
2 8.5 5.0
3 5.5 5.5
4 3.5 1.0
5 2.5 2.5
6 2.5 4.0
7 1.0 5.5
8 2.5 7.0
9 8.5 8.0
10 10.0 7.0
11 10.0 2.5

image.png.7247f6eb925f0bd36ecab48df2f2e34d.png

• Thanks 1

Superb :). Runding off to the nearest 0.5m is a good idea. That is accurate enough and makes the measuring easier.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Andreas W said:

Superb :). Runding off to the nearest 0.5m is a good idea. That is accurate enough and makes the measuring easier.

Agreed.

Strong winds over the weekend have left my favorite running area swept free of debris, so since I have a day off today, I am going to take advantage of this by having my first proper endurance testing session with my C11. My batteries are pretty decent, but I suspect that I will still need to use the mandatory pit stop to change batteries due to my hungry 4.5 turn motor. It will also be interesting to see if I can maintain concentration for 30 minutes, and if my running area, which is outside the local council garages, remains free of other traffic for a whole 30 minutes! 😁

• Like 2

I have got myself a leafblower today and go for marking up the course and testing it for as long as I can on Friday. Before that normal Postal Racing will have to do. 

Hope L&L gets the finger out and ship my body soon,  so I can run a proper Racing team Porsche. MCI stickers are on their way. 

• Like 2

Monday's planned testing had to be put on hold due to other commitments, but today I did my first full 30-minute tests with my C11, and found out a few things, some of which surprised me.

The first surprises were to do with temperatures. It was 23 degrees out, and at the 15-minute point my motor was only at 37 degrees, ESC at 42 degrees and battery at 35 degrees - all cooler than I thought they would be. However my servo was also at 35 degrees - warmer than I expected. After 30 minutes, the temperatures were virtually unaltered. I was really expecting things to be running warmer.

The second surprise was how tiring it is running for the full race time at no more than 20% throttle, which is what I have to do to keep speeds reasonable with my 4.5t motor. I think I might turn down my throttle endpoint rather than having to keep my finger from pulling the trigger too far next time.

I also found myself becoming slightly disoriented after staring at the car for so long, and found that I needed to lean against a lamp post for stability. Not sure if this is a result of my aging eyesight, having skipped breakfast or something else, but I wasn't expecting it.

How is everyone else faring with the endurance challenge?

• Like 3

Still planning to give it a go, in GT3. It'll be a TT-02 with the TZ turning clockwise that I documented in the electrics forum, rear wheel drive but all wheel braking. The car has super sweet TRF shocks and is very promising.

• Like 2

I'm hoping the stars allign and I get the time to test the enlarged track tomorrow. I have now a leafblower and chalk spray in the car. It would be with the Carten with the blue Porsche RSR body. The new one which will have a correct livery is on it's way,  but it's no way I will make to finish this shell within this round.

I have gone up two pinion-sizes since last year, adjusted the initial punch a lot down and given more drag brake. Together with 60D tyres (S grip rear, kit hard with sauce in front) it's now super predictable compared with last year, even though it was nice then, but a lot wilder. I am waiting for new rims fitting the Ride slicks in 60D i have bought, since they turned out to be 47mm instead of the normal 42mm. If they are anywhere near as good as the Ride slicks I have on the XV-01 this will be a ton of fun.

I struggle with Laptrax on the current phone. It is impossible pr now to make it count, even when I pass within 10 cm of it. The old phone worked fine regardless of front or rear camera. I prefer to use the front camera and place the tripod on the inside. 

The temps today reached 18 degrees. Hope there is less wind tomorrow, so new debries from the surroundings don't come into the surface after I have made it as clean as I can. 

• Like 2

This month is looking like a really tough one and I am struggling to run my cars much. Kids going to bed late and waking up early and so on... sigh.

The chassis for the Porsche only needs ESC/Rx, lateral balancing, a quick check of the steering and rear camber and body posts. Otherwise it's all there:

GRRV3aq.jpg

It's the sweetest TT-02 I have built yet, sporting TRF shocks (no less :)), carbon shock towers, the new XV-02 diff with the aluminum outdrives, a TZ timed in reverse, front brakes using my trusty one-way unit mounted in reverse and the long tie-rod steering set. All that blue bling was lying around in boxes and now it's a very nice car.

• Like 2

On Thursday I made the second attempt on this. I turned out beeing not straight forward. First I made it to 8 laps before the old phone stopped Laptrax and got a hangup on the countdown. Then I made 12 laps counting manually before the left, rear tyre beeded off. (Silicone was not good enough for this purpose,  so they are CA glued now). Luckily I had brought the old, worn out Shimizus as a backup,  so they had to do. Al in all the flow was better than last Friday with a few hickups. I spun once in the chicane. And I ran twice into the ditch after the chicane. Seems that I need to give it less drag brake or learn not to let go off the throtle fully. Otherwise I get a slide in the chicane. At the end the battery was not up to the task with LVC with almost 2 min left.

Now the Shimizus are ready for Project Boldy for sure. The contact patches are only attached on a small stripe in the middle and is paper thin. I didn’t bother to switch the tyres at the pit stop. I just parked for 2 min. Nevertheless I made 8 laps more than last time.

Now the Ride slicks are glued so next time I hope I can go the full 30 min without tyre problems and stay on the tarmac.

20240418_163608.jpg

• Like 3

I just made the 3rd and last attempt now on Ride slicks which this time staid on the rims. What a difference! The grip is brutal and there's not a chance to get it to slide in the corners at all. I run 36 front and 33 shore rear. No running in the ditch nor spinning, so I made 7 more laps than last time. Very happy now. 

The tyrewear is not that bad at all, given 30 min running. I have 4 more sets like this,  so should keep me going for a while. The wheeldesign is not the bringer for this body though. 

Then Friday is the last attempt on the small course with the XV-01. 

20240422_151930.jpg

20240422_152142.jpg

• Like 2