jonboy1

what to build next?

I find myself pondering this question, and am finding it increasingly difficult to answer.

The criteria I think I have is:

• needs to be interesting to build
  • hop-ups! Lots and lots of hop ups! :P
  • open to customising with 3Dprinted parts
  • not cross over too much with ones I have already got/had (this is the trickiest bit I think)

In the "maybe" pile so far are:

• BBX
  • Super Avante
  • Toyota Tundra High Lift
  • Hornet/Grasshopper
  • Hotshot II
  • Comical Hornet
  • Novafox
  • TC-01
  • Mercedes 1838/1850

Some of those don't fit all the criteria, some I'm not sure about. 

Do either of you have any thoughts on any of these, or any other suggestions?

• Like 2

My vote goes to the Comical Hornet as I love the GF/WR chassis. Either way, have fun with your choice@ 

• Like 1

You certainly look like you could use a Group C C11 re-release kit.

😎

• Like 3

Try XV-01 and feel pain of maintenance! It is definitely different than other kits. However, TC-01 sounds interesting and it is not very popular.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TC-01, TD4, and "comical"" series would all get my nod.

TC-01 is a fantastic model of complexity if you want a "very tamiya" experience that is fun to drive on road.  Lots of hopups, though some are a bit "sloppy"" for what they are.  I did a "near full option" build (HERE) about a year ago and it was a lot of "fun".

TD4 (or TD2) is a similar (if not slightly less complex) experience in an offroad buggy.

The comical series to me are "fun", but the build complexity experience seems more reliant on having a "theme" in mind as a far as optional colour parts, etc.

• Like 2

Your criteria are quite personally subjective, being it's largely about being interesting to you and different to what you have. 

Only one of those options I can comment on is the BBX. I think it's a nice build and good quality. How it drives is, in my opinion, great in some ways, but a bit of a dog in others. It's incredibly composed over rough ground, ie bumps within its (quite substantial) suspension travel. And it's lovely to watch it doing that. And I found it to jump quite nicely although others say it dives. But, and I might revise this if I keep working at the suspension and/or experience a tyre epiphany, I found it a bit like a boat compared to other buggies when you run it on something high grip. 

That being said, I think mine is ace and I'm def keeping it, that driving downside just gives me a little problem to go at, which is exactly what I like doing. In solving it I might remove the whole essence of BBX, but only in a reversible way, so it's all part of the fun. I have also toyed with picking up a second to turn into a truck. 

And I should caveat that mine is quite non-standard. But then that also plays into your "open to customising with 3d prints" which I've done with mine with perhaps more success than I've had with other cars. And I think there's loads of scope to use 3d printing to do something fun and different body-wise. 

Fox interests me too, partly following @wtcc5's escapades. 

• Like 2

BBX: I think I would like to see a BBX based build inspired from the Novafox by WTCC5 and BuggyDad's Mohawk with a look inspired by the Bear Hawk. 

TD-4: A modified version with normal shocktower,  normal battery placement and a conservative looking body would certainly be a gamechanger for this chassis. What about a Super Egress,  as Willy iine has suggested earlier (since Tamiya has missed the opportunity to make it so far).

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Andreas W said:

BBX: I think I would like to see a BBX based build inspired from the Novafox by WTCC5 and BuggyDad's Mohawk with a look inspired by the Bear Hawk. 

Nice idea. I am tempted with mine to try lowering it and hardening up the shocks. It'd be out of line with the BBX's character but mine is already widened. 

42 minutes ago, Andreas W said:

TD-4: A modified version with normal shocktower,  normal battery placement and a conservative looking body would certainly be a gamechanger for this chassis. What about a Super Egress,  as Willy iine has suggested earlier (since Tamiya has missed the opportunity to make it so far).

I'd love to see what someone could do along the lines of "Egress Ultimate" although I have no idea what that'd be. Ditto variations on the TD4 to make it still a race thoroughbred but with a more retro body shell. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pylon80 said:

You certainly look like you could use a Group C C11 re-release kit.

😎

I can't think of anybody that couldn't use a Group C C11 re-release kit.

• Haha 3

Comical. Fun car that you can run anywhere, lots of hopups :)

I really enjoy my gf-01.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skom25 said:

Try XV-01 and feel pain of maintenance! It is definitely different than other kits. However, TC-01 sounds interesting and it is not very popular.

This, the XV-01 is very unique among touring cars, and you can very quickly turn it into a money pit of you want.

A Hornet/Grasshopper takes maybe an hour to assemble (not including the wheels), and there's very little in the way of first-party hop-ups.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

you can very quickly turn it into a money pit of you want.

I will not comment this, because I do not want to remind myself how quickly it changed from "I will build it stock" to "Google > how to sell kidney > Search".

I spent really big bag of money and there is still A LOT things which can be changed.

However, being totally honest, there are not too many things which have to be changed to have proper car. NN4 part issue is only thing I can remember. There is also some issue with diffs leaks, but it is not strictly related to XV-01 but to all Tamiya diffs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, skom25 said:

I will not comment this, because I do not want to remind myself how quickly it changed from "I will build it stock" to "Google > how to sell kidney > Search".

I spent really big bag of money and there is still A LOT things which can be changed.

However, being totally honest, there are not too many things which have to be changed to have proper car. NN4 part issue is only thing I can remember. There is also some issue with diffs leaks, but it is not strictly related to XV-01 but to all Tamiya diffs.

Currently building mine stock and now deeply concerned I’m going to uncontrollably start searching for hop ups 😂

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, skom25 said:

There is also some issue with diffs leaks, but it is not strictly related to XV-01 but to all Tamiya diffs.

Same goes for plastic Tamiya CVAs, they work but I assume due to mold wear, it's easy to end up with a few leaky ones. They will still work but your car will look messy.

Super Avante drives lovely and it an interesting build, and it definitely needs some mods/hop ups to make it sing. Body is awful though. I am back on working out a way to mount a Hotshot cage and body to mine.

Comical isn't much of a build, but rcmart has about a kerbillion option parts so you could go mad. It's a fun little thing to drive.

Hotshot 2 i was rather taken with. Did mine as a winter build project, but with the M05 steering mod and proper wheels it drives really nicely. Not much scope for hop ups unless you get one of those carbon or aluminium chassis off ebay

If you are willing to stretch the brief on the Grasshopper/Hornet i would happily share Ultra G or Ultra Hornet files for printing / carbon cutting to make something like those on the older chassis. You will need to give me some measurements of parts so i can adjust the rear trans mount compared to the GH2 designs, but it's possible. My mate made an Ultra G style thundershot parts based buggy out of a Grasshopper and it looks amazing. Maybe do a Hornet?

• Thanks 1

Ker-Rikie that's a lot of ideas! Thanks everyone :) 

I'll try to reply to the key points:

@Pylon80 - I will certainly give C11's a look. They hadn't registered on my radar so I will investigate. Yours looks stunning though, so you have me sold from that perspective already!

@skom25 @gogsyfinnie @Kowalski86 - I've been reading the builds on the XV-01 and the general waft of frustration and anguish I get from them have been putting me off ;) Plus, my kidneys aren't in the best shape (despite me being a near teetotaller my entire life - I blame my mum for giving me bad Fosters jeans (here all week, don't forget to tip the waitress)) so I don't reckon they would be able to help fund one. This is the same issue I'm having with the Mercedes 1650 idea - I know that as soon as I stumble into the path of 1/14 trucks and the gazillions to be spent on hop ups I'd be facing financial ruin and divorce proceedings before I could say "10-4 good buddy." I'm not saying I'm ruling it out though......

My other thought about the XV-01 is - and here I prove @BuggyDad correct - I'm not sure I fancy another 4wd on road car. I've already got a fully hopped up TA-02 and TBEvoiii. I do love the Integrale though, so maybe - maybe....

@Andreas W - I don't think I can hope to match the quality or skill of @BuggyDad or @wtcc5 - but I do love the idea of a 2024 BearHawk - one of the best looking buggies in my opinion. I was toying with the idea of making a bitsa with a bearhawk body, but I don't have the ability to do it justice.

I like the idea of the TD4 with the conventional front end - the Ultimate Egress - but I think it has already been done

https://youtu.be/p2RIe9v1Nvs

my other concern with the TD4 is the way it looks to be going clearance everywhere. I don't want to start something only to find parts will no longer be available because they've discontinued it.

@bRIBEGuy - I'm going to go and read your build now. The TC-01 is a proper oddball (Tamiya at their most Tamiyaness) and that really does hold some appeal. 

@ThunderDragonCy + @Sogogi - Comical is going to need some more looking from my part. Cy's mention of kerbillion options has piqued my interest..... ;)

Hotshot 2 I have already restored for another member and I fell in love with it when it was finished. But, it is quite similar to the Boomerang, and I had my UberBoomer with Team Factory carbon chassis and kimbrough (?) steering mod etc and it just didn't do anything for me, hence me selling it for parts. But then, a Boomerang isn't a Hotshot2, so......

That's a super kind offer @ThunderDragonCy :wub::wub: Your Ultra G Evo GH2 is beauuuuuuutiful and a work of art. There is something about the Hornet for me - I just love the body, but it is somewhat lacking in build technicality as @Kowalski86 says, but something along the lines of your Ultra G could be very interesting......

Well, thank you everyone for your awesome input. I shall go away and do some research and probably come back with more questions for you! :) 

XXX

• Like 3

On XV-01, while it sounds like it isn't for you, I feel like I should still slip in my contrasting view on it. Which is that I don't worry about the maintenance of it one jot and even as a serial hopper up/modder mine's close to stock. Mine is a high mileage car with plenty of knocks, only one arm break and just a big load of guilt free running once one diff oil change set it to my satisfaction. And it's had all that running because I like so much how it drives, whether set up for road or rally. By comparison my TT-02SR barely got off the start line. 

• Like 2

Very interesting @jonboy1 and reading the above I'm tending to agree with quite a few and go for the BBX it very much looks like a good one to build I’ve not built one myself but it’s on my hit list after I thin down my collection! I see the second on the list is the super avante but I’ll be honest (purely just my opinion) I thought it was a bit dull to build and it’s a very annoying to run with the battery situation and those diff nuts are really bad such a cheap part to produce surely tamiya should have known plastic nuts on a stress part is only going to gone way-_-. Just a thought! does it have to be a tamiya because the best rc car I’ve built to date is the newly released yokomo dogfighter but absolutely fund’s permit because it is quite an expensive kit but stunning quality and seamless to build and the Kyosho optima mid (any of the optima range really!) but like I say this is just my opinion!

@jonboy1 Thank you Sir. Ultra G EVO is still a bit unproven, work in progress, and if I'm honest, a bit silly money too. Happy to fuel your madness though ;-) To be fair, some kind of a mashup of Ultra G with a Thundershot trans, but better arms would fit easily and be very doable. I fitted DB01 arms to be Thunder Dragon with just a 3D printed rear knuckle required. Happy to chat on DM if you go that way.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, moffman said:

Just a thought! does it have to be a tamiya because the best rc car I’ve built to date is the newly released yokomo dogfighter but absolutely fund’s permit because it is quite an expensive kit but stunning quality and seamless to build and the Kyosho optima mid (any of the optima range really!) but like I say this is just my opinion!

Oh you had to go there didn't you! ;)

See, there is one non-Tamiya buggy that has always been there at the back of my mind (and on several shopping carts) and that is the venerable Ultima Turbo. A hopped up BBX or TD4 would exceed the price of the Turbo. Which raises an interesting point/question... Kyosho don't do hop ups do they? So although it is a wonderfully beautiful kit and undoubtedly an interesting and rewarding build - that would be it. I don't know how I feel about that.

One update - after reading @bRIBEGuy's awesome build on the TC-01, I have just noticed they now sell that chassis with a nice CLK-GTR body......

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, jonboy1 said:

Oh you had to go there didn't you! ;)

See, there is one non-Tamiya buggy that has always been there at the back of my mind (and on several shopping carts) and that is the venerable Ultima Turbo. A hopped up BBX or TD4 would exceed the price of the Turbo. Which raises an interesting point/question... Kyosho don't do hop ups do they? So although it is a wonderfully beautiful kit and undoubtedly an interesting and rewarding build - that would be it. I don't know how I feel about that.

Kyosho don't do an Ultima Turbo re-re, so are you talking about an original?

As for Hop-Ups, Kyosho most certainly do them.  They're called Option Parts and they're listed in the instruction manuals and online  ;)  E.g. for the Optima Mid re-re:

https://www.kyoshoeurope.com/compatible/index/index/product_id/69582/type/2/

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Twinfan said:

Kyosho don't do an Ultima Turbo re-re, so are you talking about an original?

As for Hop-Ups, Kyosho most certainly do them.  They're called Option Parts and they're listed in the instruction manuals and online  ;)  E.g. for the Optima Mid re-re:

https://www.kyoshoeurope.com/compatible/index/index/product_id/69582/type/2/

Sorry - I meant the Turbo Optima! Thanks for the link - will go and have a look :) 

• Like 1

No worries.  There are a couple more gold parts that can be added to the Turbo Optima, plus turnbuckles.  It's a pretty hopped-up car already, as a Turbo  ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

One update - after reading @bRIBEGuy's awesome build on the TC-01, I have just noticed they now sell that chassis with a nice CLK-GTR body......

Yup.  Another even cooler option (IMO) that takes advantage of the ultra low "lay down shock" chassis is the Tamiya Toyota Gazoo TS050 (HERE).  I almost picked one up to run on mine... but was pretty burnt out after the Formula E body and not looking to immediately dive into another multi-piece masterpiece.

• Like 1