Sign in to follow this  
RichieRich

Losi XX4 teardown and updates

This isn't really a build thread but more of a "I have to disassemble the whole car so it might as well be a build" thread. When I initially restored this buggy, I replaced the belts with original Losi parts. As history has shown, these belts literally dissolve as they age. I have a new set of belts from Tough Racing to install. Also, the original owner used a toothy set of pliers to tighten the shock cartridge to the shock bodies which massively distorted them so they leak. I did not realize that Losi still makes the cartridges so I bought a set to replace the old ones. This thread will show the disassembly, installation of new parts and then reassembly because the car will literally look the same after I make these updates. :lol:

I don't remember if I told the story about this one but about 10 years ago I was buying old Novak ESCs. Mostly Cyclones and Atoms. I liked the Atoms because they are tiny and fit anywhere. I was searching ebay and found a Novak Cyclone still attached to this Losi XX4. The auction made no mention of the car being included and I didn't really care because it was a deal. I won the auction for $60. About a week later, I got a box with the car and the ESC.

The car looked like it had been run and put away wet. The rear shock tower was broken, it was missing some parts including the body, and most of the metal parts had a thin layer of surface rust. I was able to source all the missing parts add some new ones and reassemble the car.

xx4-01.jpg

xx4withparts.jpg

• Like 4

I found some time to replace the belts this weekend. It amazes me how these NOS Losi belts just dissolve into a sticky crumbly mess. One belt even left a tooth in the rear diff. Now that they have been replaced, I moved on to fixing the shocks. After disassembling them, I noticed a couple of shock shafts have scratches from the previous owner using pliers instead of a shock tool. I may have to replace them. Though, I could replace them with some AE parts I have on hand. Don't tell anyone.

xx4topopen.jpg

xx4tooth.jpg

xx4toptwo.jpg

• Like 6

Finished! It's like I didn't do anything. At least my shocks won't be leaking anymore with the new cartridges. Also, if anyone knows where I can get a new front bumper, that would be great. The one I have is the original and it's rather worn. Plus, one of the holes is stripped.

xx4front.jpg

• Like 2

Oh the days before cab forward! Looks great!