I’m looking to buy an Egress and I’ve got myself in a bit of a knot looking at motors and ESC’s. I’ve built 5 Tamiya’s over the last few years and this is the first one that hasn’t come with a motor and ESC. 

So I’m looking for some advice. 

I’ve searched the forum and quite a few of you have gone for the Sport tuned BZ, with this being a 23t motor this means that no Tamiya ESC is compatible? So I’m looking at a Hobby wing ESC with a Tamiya connector.

I am going to run the car but I’m not going brushless as I’m not going the LIPO route and just want a good brushed setup.

Could I get some advice on a decent motor/ ESC combo?

12 minutes ago, Deadlysub said:

So this is the basket, would anyone change anything?

IMG_7704.png

Thats what esc/motor is in mine :)

• Like 1

I don't think you can go wrong with what you've chosen, but I'm going old school on my re-re and have this planned:

* ADSPEC Radio w/ P100F CPR

* TP-S148 Servo

* DYNATECH 01R

• Like 2

I had heard here on TC that Super Stock motors were more expensive in the UK, but I never thought it would be that extreme. That is over twice the Amazon.com price and about 4 times the Plaza Japan price.

@Deadlysub: Your choices are decent. Can't do anything wrong with that motor and esc. I for myself like faster servos (0,09s/60°) and the low profile form.

The Super Stock BZ was approximately 20-25€ when I bought it in an R/C shop in Tokyo. It is 48-51€ in Germany. Which I can understand after import taxes. But why it needs to be another 10€ more expensive in GB :blink:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

I had heard here on TC that Super Stock motors were more expensive in the UK, but I never thought it would be that extreme. That is over twice the Amazon.com price and about 4 times the Plaza Japan price.

11 hours ago, wtcc5 said:

@Deadlysub: Your choices are decent. Can't do anything wrong with that motor and esc. I for myself like faster servos (0,09s/60°) and the low profile form.

The Super Stock BZ was approximately 20-25€ when I bought it in an R/C shop in Tokyo. It is 48-51€ in Germany. Which I can understand after import taxes. But why it needs to be another 10€ more expensive in GB :blink:

In Poland, straight from distributor it costs 50 Euros...

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

Wow, you aren't kidding! I paid US $35 shipped on two different occasions from Amazon, which today is ~ £ 28

• Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 8:22 PM, Pylon80 said:

I got all mine from Plaza. I think I have 5 of them 

On 3/29/2024 at 6:03 PM, Deadlysub said:

Thanks for the reply! How about the servo?

I just run an SRT, which is probably a copy/the same as your one, just from AliExpress

53 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

I got all mine from Plaza. I think I have 5 of them 

You need more.

Edit: they are back in stock at PJ but still at a really high price compared to when I last shopped there, 23$ in my currency :(

2 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

You need more.

Edit: they are back in stock at PJ but still at a really high price compared to when I last shopped there, 23$ in my currency :(

I think I was paying circa £16. I have one in an Egress Black, one in an Astute 2022, one in a TT02R, one in a Top Force Evo and whatever the Blue one is on my bench to put in a touring car. I am a tech nerd, but I genuinely find I prefer a 1060/SuperStock on 2S Lipo to my expensive sensored brushless set ups, especially in Tamiya’s

• Like 2

I like how small the 1060 is. Its never let me down. My most reliable brushed setup. No weird voltage cutoff, cheap, consistant, good for lipos. Not a big fan of these motors... many better brushed products on the market but they have that Tamiya sticker and it makes your build look good, so i have a few of them too. I usually swap the rotor and just use the can but I would rather just buy the stickers and put them on a good motor. May do that some day on my runners :) if the motor dosnt show, i definitely dont use these motors.

I’d be far more inclined to speed up to 17T or even 13/13.5T though that latter might want slightly shorter gearing to get nice punch and would likely add to the cost. You’d also risk traction roll damage a good deal more going from ~19MPH to around 30, but if you’ve got a good place to run and like watching the suspension on these lovely things articulate at lower speeds there’s nothing wrong with 23T. Maybe add yourself a steel pinion and up the tooth count while you’re at it? I’d wait to see how it goes with your stock 23T before pushing it tho, as it may be good enough for your purposes and is a safe, conservative configuration. 

those 1060s are really nice for the cost and don’t set on fire immediately like then Tekin and Novak of the real vintage runs. :)