Sign in to follow this  
Zeemax

$$$$$$ IF You Had The Money $$$$$$

Youve probably seen the guy in the 'ebay forum' spending the earth for his hobbies i was wondering would u do the same.

Say you won the lotto and got 5-million ud buy the obviuous House cars etc.

But when it can down to our hobbies(Tamiya) Would u buy things 4 a good price (Market Price ) or pay over the odds and pay maybe 500Dollars more because u have the money to spend?

If i was a million air and a NIB SS came up buy now 3000usd(high)i wouldnt care if it was over priced if you have the money whats the point trying to get a bargin.

So would u pay the 3000 USd for a SS knowing you could get a cheaper one in the future.

[:(]Ahhh Dreams[:(]

I disagree, I still wouldn't pay crazy prices, as the search, the trip is the fun and what this hobby is about and not the completion of a collection. The fun is to search, trade with others, make new friends & deals, find a bargain in a hidden corner, restore a crappy car... I would still buy few cars each year so I can pursue this hobby as long as possible...

quote:If i was a million air and a NIB SS came up buy now 3000usd

id="quote">id="quote">

If you were million air you still wouldnt be able to purchase your NIB SS though, as air is free, even millions of it... [:D]LOL

I enjoy the 'hunt' like you theo, but I think if money were no object and I saw something i wanted I'd get it.

After all if something sells, it is not over priced.

For me, it would have to be a car that I vividly remember from my Childhood. I would love to find a Holiday Buggy NIB. For this was my first and would love to build another. As for the some of the 4WD 3spd, I don't remember too many of those so these really wouldn't move my like the SS and the Holiday Buggy did....

Another HB fan? Welcome to the fan club! [8D] It was also my first RC, got a NIB at my 9th birthday and bought now another at my 27th, exactly 18 years after! [^]

Hi Theo:

Yeah, I bought my HB back in 1981 and had it all the way to 1994. I was thrown away when my wife decided to clean our house. Ouch[B)] Anyway, based on my yearly budget, I'll have to wait till next year to get my HB. By the way, it final configuration was an Associated 5.0 motor. Unfortunately it didn;t take long to burn out the mechanical speed controller...

Oh well such as life...

John

Intersting topic.

If I were a millionaire - I would be too busy to do all the chasing that I do now ....... as millionaires generally have to work very hard to get there and stay there !!

That being said - If I were to win the lottery tomorrow - after settling my new living arrangements, holiday.......all the other "real life" things, I beleive I would still not pay crazy money for things like this.

I enjoy the thrill of the hunt - and even more than that - I enjoy the friendships that develop along the way......I have alot of friends now that I would never of had if were not for this great hobby.

In all honesty - I would probably be a little "looser" with my money - however - I would still be a bit of a "tight arese " !! [8D]

Cheers

Darryn

Before I spent a dime, I would set up Investments that would allow me to not have to work anymore. Depending on how much I won, I don't know if I would spend it on r/c cars. I think my tastes would upgrade to collecting the real 1:1 cars. I think first on my list would be a vintage Porsche 935 racer.

i have to agree about the 'chasing' of parts.

it makes me feel something good, duno what, or why, when i say that a part came from another part of the world.

my Mb shell came from new zealand, and recently took delivery of some NIP monster beetle parts from california, while my hilux wheels/tires went to singapore.

my holiday buggy shell also went on a long trip to new zealand.

i like bidding on ebay, makes it more exciting than using 'buy it now'.

and also it makes you feel good when you look at your car in mint condition, knowing that you restored it from a heap of junk.

my scorcher shell came from ebay, for 10 pounds!

covered in brush paint inside and out, and a big split in the roof, also the front wings had been cut.

ive repaired everything apart from the rear end that had been cut out, stripped it to bare plastic, and i can now look at it in the blue/white scheme with decals on it.

i dont think i will ever sell it.

put too much time into it.

buying a new built scorcher wouldnt do anything for me.

restore a car yourself, and you appreciate it a lot better.

I agree - no matter what amount of money you have availale - the hunt and the barganing is part of the game.

But yep Ill splurge some on the really nice to havs!!!!!!!

Jakes

quote:
Originally posted by darryn1

That being said - If I were to win the lottery tomorrow - after settling my new living arrangements, holiday.......all the other "real life" things, I beleive I would still not pay crazy money for things like this.

id="quote">id="quote">

Haha... maybe *I* would...!! [:)]

Only difference on the email to vendor might be:-

SHIPPING? NO, DON'T WORRY ABOUT SHIPPING.

I'LL COME PICK IT UP PERSONALLY FROM YOUR DOOR NEXT WEEK.

WHERE ARE YOU IN USA/EUROPE? ONLY A SHORT HOP FROM AUSTRALIA.

ADVISE ADDRESS AND I'LL BOOK THE NEXT FLIGHT AVAILABLE.

CYA REAL SOON, TNX.

Best thing is, (so I hear) that First Class gives you 50kg luggage allowance. [:D]

quote:I'LL COME PICK IT UP PERSONALLY FROM YOUR DOOR NEXT WEEK.

WHERE ARE YOU IN USA/EUROPE? ONLY A SHORT HOP FROM AUSTRALIA.

ADVISE ADDRESS AND I'LL BOOK THE NEXT FLIGHT AVAILABLE.

id="quote">id="quote">

What a poor millionaire, not having his own jet... [;)]

quote:i like bidding on ebay, makes it more exciting than using 'buy it now'.

id="quote">id="quote">

Buy it now is also exciting if you discover something great first, the stress to enter your password and click the BIN button, maybe somebody could be faster... [;)]

quote:
Originally posted by DJTheo

What a poor millionaire, not having his own jet... [
;)
]

id="quote">id="quote">

Nah, won't be buying my own jet Theo.

Don't wanna be flying the Citation 10 nor the Gulfstream V internationally (too small, too much turbulence, fuel capacity too low) and one can't land a 747 just anywhere.

Dream machine would be a new 737-700... its the aerial equivalent of a BMW 750i. Its a decent size for touring yet small enough to be pretty agile for a long distance cruiser. Full complement of power as used in the larger planes, yet enough vessel capacity for fuel to fling halfway around the globe (we'll lose most of the seats for the long range tanks though). Enough space in there still to fitout a decent bedsitter, plus room for the RangeRover too.

Costed that up earlier this year, yours for only A$80M. Cheapstuff to buy certainly, but running & ongoing costs are a tad steep.

Less hassles going commercial!! [:D]