Sign in to follow this  
supergreg

Great meeting of some german TC members

With fantuzzi's helpful hint, I found this terrain. If it rains, we can hide under the large roof and drive even there. The best thing is, that it's easily accessible and that you can park your car very close to the track. The track you see in the very first pictures is a BMX track. Under the roof, you find e.g. a beach-volleyball and a mini-football court, a skate-pool and one compartement with a descent and much sand. There is also a plain compartment with small gravel. The asphalt outside might be great for a small onroad track.

Take a look at the pictures please, they should tell it all:

duisburg-meiderich-09.jpg

duisburg-meiderich-10.jpg

duisburg-meiderich-11.jpg

duisburg-meiderich-17.jpg

duisburg-meiderich-19.jpg

duisburg-meiderich-21.jpg

duisburg-meiderich-22.jpg

duisburg-meiderich-23.jpg

duisburg-meiderich-24.jpg

duisburg-meiderich-27.jpg

duisburg-meiderich-29.jpg

The place I'm describing is in Duisburg Meiderich (Germany) in the so called Landschaftspark Duisburg Nord. I have found a link to this park with very nice photos and information in english too.

http://www.hochofenwerk.de/main/index.html

That's an awesome venue, something for everyone! Almost worth an airfare to Germany to thrash some stuff around[8D] Now, can anyone find somewhere like this in Blighty?

Technical.burb, good to see that you are still on board, thinking about a meeting.

This place is quite nice for a meeting. Particularly the roofed steel structure offers a bit of a windbreak in bad weather conditions (even if this is unusual in Germany[:o)]). We had a handful of meetings there last winter.

Not shown on the pictures is a small stream in a rocky course, just made for trial and rock crawling. Further on you find two gravel covered areas (several football field sizes), to play around.

Within another circle of RC enthusiasts, we thought about a meeting in that place before, with a more official character. We wanted to involve the responsible municipal authority, to have access to the installed floodlight equipment.

So, this area is really suitable for a loose or even an official meeting.

Hi all,

good to see your friendly response. The location in Duisburg has a lot of potential, especially when it comes to (competitive) racing. We should stick to this place. Maybe we can meet on a saturday in Meiderich and the next day in Haltern, which is 60 k away? With two locations we're very flexible anyway. I think that you won't disagree that Haltern offers a very nice background for vintage Baja cars.

@Supergreg,

come back on terra firma. This location is really O.K., but there are pros and cons. Allways keep technical.burbs skills on the camera in mind, to through a completely different light on the matter.

Unfortunately, the jumps don't form a race track like a real RC closed circuit. Due to the fact that the location is used excessively by 1/6 scale Marders, the track is bumpy and a lot of stones are spreaded over grass plains. A bit of clean up and preparation would be necessary, not to ruin the vintage racers.

Check out this page: www.rcspeed.de

Lot's of these pictures are made in that location in Meiderich.

That place looks very nice. Are their power outlets available? I will getting some extra battery packs for the trip. I use deans connectors on all my stuff. Where can I find directions?

@Fantuzzi: Come on, just let me show my signs of life to the forum! My post was not meant for discussing anything, it was just the bit of enthusiasm that could encourage our silent german colleagues to take part in this discussion.

For sure I know about the "Marder" problem (you told me at our first meeting), but every terrain is better than the local places I'm used to. How can we figure out a date, where no Scorcher must fear a Marder ambush? You have the experience. Please tell us.

@Technical.Burp: U re talking about an overnight stay, right? Did you think about camping or is it a hidden invitation to occupy your house for one weekend? I'd prefer a one day trip to Meiderich to check out the terrain first...

No Supergreg, I burned my fingers once, inviting to a much to ordinary meeting.[;)]

So I will do my best to keep the waves of enthusiasm low and don’t accept any sign of pleasurable anticipation.

I think the date, suggested by technical.burb, should be late enough in the year to find the Marders in hibernation.[|)]

Ok, my latest addition to the topic from this weekend:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...d=24411&id=3226

I don't think I have to convince anyone that this would be an awesome ([;)]) location for a vintage race! Fantuzzi, are you with me? Think you already know Mendig well, right?

Technical.Burp, you will have to invest some more kilometers than last time to check it out...

Well, yes!

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...=24428&sid=3226

Pros:

- huuuuge area. enough to avoid the Marders, Savages, and others around

- soft sand in most places, no harm to vintage vehicles

- flat plateaus with zillions of small edges for jumping fun

- steep inclines for slow crawling

Cons:

- very, very dusty. Not the place to keep your cars shiny clean.

- no area for onroad racing

- no place to hide from the sun. If you don't have a parasol, a hat is strongly recommendend. Dont't forget to bring enough water!

Watch more photos in the Monster Truck Forum:

http://hluebeck.de/monstertruck/phpkit/inc...forum/index.php

Go to "Treffen" or "Treffen-Berichte" and you will find lots of articles about Mendig.

Even after joining a couple of meetings there, my personal opinion of Mendig is divided into two opposites.

On the one hand, it’s is a huge sandy playground, that offers sand plains, woods trails and the popular 60 feet jumps[:0]. On weekends, no other form of life disturbs your business there, apart from other RC enthusiasts.

On the other hand, it’s a dirty sand and gravel pit. Even after the Flood, the ground would be dry and dusty. Further on, this high plain let’s you always know, which way the wind blows.

From my opinion, I would prefer a more civilized location to welcome guests.

Oh, that was probably a misunderstanding: My proposal was NOT intended for inviting guests from far away and organising something larger in Mendig! The idea was to do a quick and unofficial vintage oriented weekend run between us "locals" and everyone who wants to. The summer will not last forever, so I would like to check out some more locations this year the "loose" way.

Mendig is easy to reach via A61. It is located 30km above Koblenz and 80km below Cologne. You can calculate your route easily at www.de.map24.com. I will drop a message into this forum next time I go there.

Yes, there will be a meeting in Haltern on saturday the 30th of october. This can't be a second Snetterton, but I'm sure we're going to have some fun with our Wild Willies, XC cars, maybe Modclods etc. There is also a parking place for some onroad fun.

I will make a suggestion on what to bring very soon.

I'm trying to bring a professional award winning photographer to the meeting for great photos and videos. Many of us can take great photos too, but the best thing is when one can concentrate on driving.

5 (6) tc members have already promised to come:

Skol68, DJTheo, Supergreg, Dunebuggy71, technical.burp and with some constraint beermoker.