Sign in to follow this  
WillyChang

Lapcounting:- software? setup? gear?

Just surfin' on a little dreamzone here... [8D]

Any one tried setting up a personal lapcounting system before?

Starting say with a PC + some kind of simple serial/parallel data acquision board, maybe with beam sensors - to do just 1 car on the track.

Nothing as fancy as a full-on AMB system, of course. Thinking of something affordable, portable, reliable and simple. And if you can build it into a PDA, better still...

Any better ideas re car identification? Then can expand system to do more than 1 car too, and allow others on the track at the same time.

Yeah - think laterally - you need to adapt a cheap commercially available technology to the purpose. The key issue is triggering and event when a car goes over the line, and then getting that event into a PC.

There's a few options for that available right now ;)

Hiya Aaron, good to see ya over here in 'giant' [:)] land!!

Playing with the Big boys now, not just Bit parts. [;)]

Hmm... anyone does shareware race mgmt s/w? Or just lapcounting?

quote:
Originally posted by WillyChang

Nothing as fancy as a full-on AMB system, of course. Thinking of something affordable, portable, reliable and simple.

id="quote">id="quote">

Instead of reinventing the wheel and spend just as much custom-building a personal lap counter, why not set sights for the Team Orion Pro LCS ?

WildHobbies Pro LCS review

It has a streetprice in the US at around $170. Here at least, it's the only other commercial alternative to the $3500usd AMB system. (probably due to patent issues)

Pro-LCS.jpg

To do just one car is easy enough, It's telling cars apart that gets complicated.

I used to have one for my scalextric made from a light sensor connected to a cheap-n-nasty calculator. The car breaks the beam, triggers the = button on the calculator and adds 1 to the display. Pretty simple and cost next to nothing.

I did download a simple lap timer free from somewhere, i have searched my files but it is hiding from me at the minute.

If i find it i will send it too you Willy.

Not helping much am i dad, (english tv add)LOL

quote:Originally posted by CarterTG

Instead of reinventing the wheel and spend just as much custom-building a personal lap counter, why not set sights for the Team Orion Pro LCS?

id="quote">id="quote">

Yes, have looked at the Orion... but unfortunately it does need an IR emitter to be placed in the car. It also needs a powersource (RX plug).

Sure its the same size as a transponder, but there's drama fitting it to some cars, eg:

1) all the prepainted Tamiya shells don't have clear windows.

2) only works for large 1/10... I'm thinking of 1/64. [:I]

quote:Originally posted by netsmithUK

Have you looked in to this?

http://www.easy-rc.com/laptrack/

not tried it, but might help and only $9.95!

id="quote">id="quote">

That looks cool, Chris... will check it out.

Hmmm... will it interface with an input device... [8D]