which do you like best -

stock clod - with its 8 friction shocks, plastic chassis, plastic link arms (lets allow for ball racers, esc's, slighty hotter motors and METAL anti rotation brakets[;)])

custom clod - i call these ones custom clods, with the stock chassis but different shocks mounted anywhere you like, using the stock links, (locked diffs, raising and windening kits can be allowed aswell) - basicly a clod customised but still using the stock plastic chassis.

or....

full blown mod clod - with practicly nothing left of the original truck apart from the gearboxes!

the choice is yours [8D]

my vote goes for stock clod [8D]

reason being ive never drove a custom or mod clod, my stock truck gets enough looks, people saying wow thats cool and can i have a go [:P] and i think the stock truck looks fine as it is, remove shocks and you loose part of its presence i think.... but some mod clods do look awsome [:)]

i'll stick with stock -

which do you like best[?]

I like the mod clod.

I cant stand the stock plastic tub. When I first started collecting clods I had alot of stockers because I was unwilling to rip a clod down, but when I finally did, it felt like I was driving something totally different. I felt silly for thinking the world of my stock plastic tub [:D]

I felt the same way about the USA-1 too.

I have a stock clod - been NIB for 2 years now waiting to get built. Bought a bunch of period 'cosmetic' hop-ups for it too. It will get built one day and it will remain very stock-ish.

But thats just for sentimental reasons, for looks and fun I still prefer my mod clod crawler though. When you open up a NIB clod one of the first things that strike you (after the size of the wheels)is just own much cheap looking plastic there is, huge shoebox design tub, nasty red plastic bits and cheap plastic chrome.

When you start build a serious mod clod, or TXT, for that matter - its nearly all shiney bits of real metal[:)]

Just talking chassis here not bodies as I love the clod bod and would pic it any day over any of the lexan ones that people use.

Chris

That is a tricky question MMBIB, I've had a stock clod and was really unimpressed by its performance, my monster scorcher climbed better and pulled thru mud better however I love the looks and the sheer size of the Clod - very impressive.

Although I appreciate the engineering that goes into a Mod Clod I don't think many of them look that scale looking despite the vast amounts of metal used.

My ideal monster truck would have to be a Clod/Jugg Body with its realism mounted on a steel ladder chassis with proper live axles and driveshafts similar to the Bruiser/Mounty/Hilux 3spds. The main thing for me that ruins the looks of most Mod Clods is the amount of 'daylight' between chassis and shell. (Yes, I know that there is huge amounts of articulation and with big tyres you need that shell mounted high but it just doesn't look right?)

So I guess I vote for a stock Clod (or only mildy modded) for looks. [:0]

To be fair to the stock clod too, 1:1 monster trucks with huge tyres wouldn't handle too well either and you'll also note that they aren't really rock crawlers either. They are for show in stadiums, jumping, crushing and stuff.

Real rock crawlers are heavily modified jeeps, land rovers etc, small enough to squeeze past rocks, armour plated skid plates and slightly larger wheels/tyres.I'm sure all the US club members will have heard of the Rubicon trail. Even here in the UK it is regarded as the rock crawling center of the World. Monster trucks simply wouldn't be able to get along that trail. I saw a TC members truck the other day, it was a red jeep body mounted on 3spd chassis with brusier size wheels/tyres. Looked awesome - very realistic and true to scale. [8D]

ok i havent owned or driven a stock clod,custom,mod but all i can say is MODCLOD

Reason

ever since i saw bigfoot at a local truckfest when i was younger i was hooked and have been ever since.

Paul

Videos I made last weekend show that even a stock Clod can hanlde pretty nice on and off road with few cheap mods , hope I will find one day time to upload them and update my site [8)][:(][8D]

Cheers

MODCLOD is the best for running by a long way-However my stock clod is one of my favourite shelf queens![?]

My stock clods / bullheads are my favorite shelf queens too. I also have stock chassis clods that I beat on, they just get boring though. its like a stock blackfoot versus a thorp blackfoot with a mod motor , world of difference.

which do you like best -

stock clod - with its 8 friction shocks, plastic chassis, plastic link arms (lets allow for ball racers, esc's, slighty hotter motors and METAL anti rotation brakets[;)])

custom clod - i call these ones custom clods, with the stock chassis but different shocks mounted anywhere you like, using the stock links, (locked diffs, raising and windening kits can be allowed aswell) - basicly a clod customised but still using the stock plastic chassis.

or....

full blown mod clod - with practicly nothing left of the original truck apart from the gearboxes!

the choice is yours [8D]

my vote goes for stock clod [8D]

reason being ive never drove a custom or mod clod, my stock truck gets enough looks, people saying wow thats cool and can i have a go [:P] and i think the stock truck looks fine as it is, remove shocks and you loose part of its presence i think.... but some mod clods do look awsome [:)]

i'll stick with stock -

which do you like best[?]

I'll have to say stock.

Some people need to remember how fast was the full size 1986 Chevrolet Bear Foot to really appreciate the accuracy of the model. I'd even say the Clod Buster is proportionally faster than all of the Chevy monster trucks from 1986! ;)

i have a superclod , different shocks and no rear steer , and a codzilla modded to the max running a traxxas 14v twin motor esc .. its like chalk and cheese ..if i want to just run around the dirt parking lot aross the road ..the super clod is fine and fun .. but if i want to rip up the sand dunes at the beach .. nothing beats the clodzilla .. it depends on what i want to do ..

superclod001.jpg

tyres001.jpg

i have a superclod , different shocks and no rear steer , and a codzilla modded to the max running a traxxas 14v twin motor esc .. its like chalk and cheese ..if i want to just run around the dirt parking lot aross the road ..the super clod is fine and fun .. but if i want to rip up the sand dunes at the beach .. nothing beats the clodzilla .. it depends on what i want to do ..

That's a beautiful Super Clod Buster!

Why not four wheel steering? I have heard so many stories. I am running my Clod Buster with a regular Futaba servo and the stock linkage (except for one aluminum bit on top of the front axle) and so far never experienced any problems with it when steering. Matter of fact, I love the truck!

Holy back-from-the-dead topics Batman. I miss seeing some of these posters in this thread. Anyway, I have both a Mod-Clod and stock Clod and prefer the stocker. Mongoose is right. It perfroms just like the '80's MTs it was modelled after. Box-stock, the Clod Buster just has this menacing presence and size about it.

I like a happy medium of modclod and stock... a scale look beats all.. and is what I plan on my next BIG project this summer

Having had a clod that started stock, and ended full blown modified with an F350 shell on it, I liked the light weight of the stock clod, but it broke too easily when throwing it at jumps and rough ground. With the diffs locked it was quite capable, but lacked the suspension movement for fast travel over rough ground. As a beach vehicle though its great, if you don't get it wet and have booted your motors, it's a nice truck to drive. My mod clod was much more capable off road and pretty much indestructible thanks to the large axle guards I made that the entire 4 link system mounted to. However it became much heavier with all the metal which meant more powerful motors and batteries were required to retain some semblance of performance.

If you don't mind to pitiful suspension travel then a stock clod with oil shocks mounted as standard is a nice truck to drive with it's retro looks, if you want something more capable then go to a full blown modified vehicle with ally chassis and 4 links.

I frankly don't know why anybody would want modified suspension set-ups for the Clod Buster when more than half of the total weight of it belongs to its axles and wheels.

I frankly don't know why anybody would want modified suspension set-ups for the Clod Buster when more than half of the total weight of it belongs to its axles and wheels.

I think the modified scene took off because the hop ups available (clodzilla springs to mind) were all focused on making the chassis stronger and more simple. The chassis swaps lead to the steering servo being modded to mount on the axle, and suddenly people realised you could get an insane amount of suspension travel with a 4 link setup. With the diffs locked, rock crawling was born.. With stronger, longer and wider chassis, racing clod sized trucks became popular. The other big competition was mud bogging or pulling weights, that just needed big motors and locked diffs.. no suspension mods needed :P

Custom Clod is my idea.

One of next project will be a custom Clod. I want a repro 80ies/90ies monster truck so the Clod will remain almost the same with eight oil dampers, no bumpers, two hi torque servos, better axle links to increase the articulation, possibly keeping the stock chassis in place. I like a lot the Super Clod pictured in this tread for example.

Max

I think the modified scene took off because the hop ups available (clodzilla springs to mind) were all focused on making the chassis stronger and more simple. The chassis swaps lead to the steering servo being modded to mount on the axle, and suddenly people realised you could get an insane amount of suspension travel with a 4 link setup. With the diffs locked, rock crawling was born.. With stronger, longer and wider chassis, racing clod sized trucks became popular. The other big competition was mud bogging or pulling weights, that just needed big motors and locked diffs.. no suspension mods needed :P

But then again, when I run the Clod Buster I can see the only suspension it has are the tires themselves, as most the weight of the truck belongs to the wheels and axles. Keeps me wondering why all the fuss about suspension mods, oil dampers, and such.

But then again, when I run the Clod Buster I can see the only suspension it has are the tires themselves, as most the weight of the truck belongs to the wheels and axles. Keeps me wondering why all the fuss about suspension mods, oil dampers, and such.

One word - "Articulation" : )